Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Old 12-18-2005, 01:18 PM
ABRviewer - Photoshop .abr brush file utility

Member photofixer sent this to me today:

I found something online that's really useful for Photoshop and thought I'd pass it along......maybe you'll want to share it at RetouchPRO.

It's a really great little freeware program called ABRviewer. The program lets you view the brushes in a Photoshop .abr brush set file, without installing the brush set in Photoshop.

You can set the thumbnail size, and the foreground and background colors. You can also save an image of the resulting set of thumbnails for future reference. Save the set, or even save the individual brush thumbnails.

The program was written for people who offer brush sets for download, so they can display the brushes easily for their webpage. But I'm using it to catalog the (way too many) brush sets I have, so I can view them quickly and find individual brushes when I want them, instead of having to just remember what set a given brush lives in.

There's no help file, but everything's pretty intuitive. Double-click on a brush set to display its thumbnails. Right-click in the two set windows for options. Double-click on a thumbnail to view a brush full-size.

The program was originally written in Italian, but was just recently made available in English, so be sure to get the right download :-)

Hope you find it useful.

Thanks for sharing this great find. You are a treasure and we miss you!

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 12-18-2005 at 04:15 PM. Reason: More descriptive title
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2005, 06:43 AM

an interesting item there. i'm wondering if this could be a way to convert ps brushes to psp brushes, especially since it says that you dont need to run ps to view the brushes. just a thought if anyone is interested.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2005, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the link Danny. A very useful little program.

That was a great idea. I have always wanted to try some of David Nagels brushes but a lot of them are now CS only. I downloaded His Series19 CS brushes. I opened them in abrView and then exported the thumbnails as PNG files.

I may not have the settings as they were originally made but at least I have the Brushes available to use in PS7.

Thanks for the Idea.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software