Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Free software

Old 01-20-2006, 05:10 AM
Looks like some fun things to play with there Chris, thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2006, 10:10 AM
PagePlus and DrawPlus

I just noticed this thread and can report that I downloaded and subsequently upgraded both PagePlusSE to PagePlus9 and DrawPlus4 to DrawPlus6. I liked the PagePlus quite a lot and have used PP9 for a variety of tasks, mostly brochures, a gift card, and an unusual collage project (see more below). I tried one small task side by side with Microsoft Publisher (which sits unused on my computer) and liked the overall intuitiveness of PagePlus compared to Publisher. Publisher has a lot more built in templates, but the commands and tools in PagePlus were more to my liking.

Regaring the special collage project....PagePlus has a simple way to bring pictures in and once they are loaded into a resizable frame, you can move the frame around and rotate it at will. If any of you have seen FotoFusion, a program to make collages, you will appreciate a collage in which there are a lot of photos overlapping, at different angles, and at different sizes. I have found it difficult if not impossible to make such overlapping/rotated/multisize collages in the layout template forms of PSPx (my main graphics editor). I admit to not trying in my PS7. But PagePlus9 allowed me to add and continue to add photos to a single page with all sorts of variations. So, I find this capability of PagePlus9 to be something more associated with picture publishing rather than typical desktop (text related) publishing, and for me, it alone would more than justify the low purchase price. The same capability exists in the SE version, so the price there would be zero.

I have not used the DrawPlus very much so can not comment on its capabilities. This is more a result of lack of time and priorities than program capabilities. In fact, the reason I upgraded the DrawPlus was the builtin animated tutorials in the free version (and perhaps on the website) that showed lots of flexibility in text creation and text effects, something I will eventually need to weave into my work.

A warning I received from others was that signing up for the free Serif downloads would subject you to a barage of advertisements. This did not happen to me. Also, I had occasion to seek support and got instant response from both email and phone. They have a 800 number but it connects to England.

Both upgrades cost $15 with shipping and a free digital camera (which went promptly in the trash). Overall a great deal in spite of the camera.

Hope this is useful.

[Edit]: I actually just forgot but PagePlus can export its documents into perfectly well-formed standard PDF files. So, you get all the other capability plus a PDF publisher. What more could you want for $15. Note: the free downloadable version SE does NOT have the PDF export capability.

Last edited by Ken45140; 02-03-2006 at 10:18 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2006, 05:25 AM
I used to use PagePlus from version 3 onwards and it was a great little DTP package with Pantone support if you didn't need the the full pre-press power of Quark Xpress or similar.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software