Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Adobe CS Photoshop - Ctrl Z

Old 01-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Adobe CS Photoshop - Ctrl Z

Version 8, I am a newbie to this. I use PSP & PhotoImpact as a rule never tried Photoshop. Well my question is this I have spent a hour using it getting around learning whats what.. One thing I would like to change is, When you like to remove last brush strokes it only does it once using "CTRL Z"
How can I alter the delete settings ? So whenI use CTRL Z I am able to delete last 6 brush strokes! Thankyou.

Last edited by byRo; 01-08-2006 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Made title more informative
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Photoshop has what is known as a "History palette" that consists of "states." Each state, in effect, is the equivalent of one "ctrl + z."

To see how this works, open any image, apply several filters and brush strokes to it. Then, from the Window menu, choose History. Click on the History states to "undo" or "redo."

The number of History states Photoshop will save is specified among the Preferences settings. The higher the value, the more RAM Photoshop uses.

Does this help?

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Ctl-z acts as a toggle. Once removes last opperation. Again, restores it.

To get the effect you want use Clt-Alt-z to step backwards multiple steps. If you have gone too far back, use Ctl-Shft-z to go foreward.

Took me awhile to get used to it, but now I'm happy with it.

The history state can be used as Danny suggested. This is the keyboard method.

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Welcome to the world of Photoshop! The program has a unique user interface that can at first appear intimidating. However once you undersatnd the philosophy of it, it becomes very comfortable. Expect to discover something new for years after each time you use it. If you get lost you can ask for help here or on one of the zillion PS forums on the web. A great place to go of course is to the PS Forum at

FYI, the default number of history states in the General Preferences is 20. When you are doing a lot of brush work you will likely want to raise this quite a bit because the major changes (like adding layers and key adjustments) at the front of the process are the first ones to get erased. The way around this without needing a ton of memory is to create history snapshots at key points in your work flow. The other thing you might want to consider when you are changing PS preferences is whether or not to turn on the History Log. By default it is off. Turnning it on causes PS to keep a log (detailed or minimal options) which it will save as a text file separate from the image, or as data in the Meta data portion of the image file. The meta data log can be accessed by File>Info>History or through the file browser. The only downside to embedding this data in the image is that it adds a little extra size to the file.

Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2006, 03:36 PM
barry_UK, I changed the title of the post to reflect better the question.
Hope you don't mind.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software