Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Help needed

Old 02-06-2006, 01:20 PM
as you suspected, this is a very difficult task, especially if you dont do any hand outlining to begin with. it's a combination of a lot of different problems. you've got hues on different rocks that are close to each other, making finding the edges automatically quite difficult. you can get fairly good on some, but not on all. the same condition exists with shades.

you then wanted a solid color in the interior, but i assume a different color or shade for the edge to give the outline of the rock. if you could find the edges first, this second part wouldnt be that difficult. you could just use a good fill tool set at the right tolerance and it would be fine. but without those good edges first, it's tougher to do.

i played around with a LOT of different filters and plugins. not a one of them could find all the edges well enough to really do the job. if you could space the rocks first so that there were gaps between each one and if the rocks were sitting on a nice solid background, this would be a lot easier. i suspect, however, that whatever you're doing this for doesnt allow for such conveniences. and, if i may ask, just what are you doing this for? you doing some sort of analysis of lunar surfaces or something?

i'll give you this, it's an interesting study in edges and edge technology and i can say that the current programs and plugins fall short of really doing an excellent job, but then this is a pretty tricky image.

i'm posting one image that is a combo of two of the best results i saved. i saved quite a few and i rejected a LOT that werent saved

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAMPLE-pic-1-k-1.jpg (95.9 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2006, 12:10 AM
If you want your program to be robust, it will have to operate on two images so that zero contrast rocks can be distinguished. There are some rock boundaries in your photo that have no contrast. The only reason I "think" I can see the edge of the rock is psychological--ie., based on previous experience with rocks--there could easily be optical illusions that fool me without the benefit of a stereo view.

Another possible option is to take two photos with the light from different angles.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2006, 04:53 AM
I do not know if the attached comes close to your requirements, but how I got it is slightly convoluted. This is a png created from a program called "Deep Paint 2D". This is a discontinued (but still available for download) program that is no longer supported. Its purpose is PhotoArt and you can "clone" an image (paint on one blank layer and pick up the colors and details from an image you load into another layer). One of the slider bar controls is called "Outline", and it does just what it says, it picks up edges and trys to draw an outline. Anyway, that is how I made the attached in about 15 seconds.
Do a Google search on Deep Paint or go to this link if you are interested in the program:

Attached Images
File Type: png CM2.png (53.4 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2006, 05:01 AM
Here is a jpg (compressed) of your "real" set of rocks, done the same way as described in the last post.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rock2.jpg (77.8 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software