RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Painter vs. Photoshop

Old 02-02-2006, 12:19 PM

Some simpler-but-less-expensive alternatives to Painter

Painter is the no-compromise everything-but-the-kitchen sink version of art-media capability. I don't know how serious you want to get, but you might also download and try the following because they're all sub $100.

Corel Painter Essentials: I think it's sort of a simplified version of Painter. I tried it for 30 days and, for my amateurish fiddling around, couldn't find anything that isn't already in Paintshop (see next item.)

Paintshop Pro X: Has a pretty full complement of art media stroke and blending effects. Nice thing here is you get this nicely integrated with all of the familiar photoshop-like photo-retouching tools--ie, art media layers can be masked/blended/filtered/etc along with raster and vector layers.

Art Rage: This is a free-download art-media simulator. Very similar to the features in Paintshop Pro, except of course there's none of the layering/photo-retouching capability. My kids love this one because it has a very basic UI.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2006, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael
(I ported this plugin to Photoshop.)~Danny~
I didn't know you could do that! do you just drop it on the plugin folder?
Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2006, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanls
I didn't know you could do that! do you just drop it on the plugin folder?
Thanks
Making a copy of \KPT collection and putting it into your equivalent of C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Plug-Ins is one approach.

Another is to make a Windows' shortcut for \KPT collection and put the shortcut in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Plug-Ins.

A third possibility (and what I did) is to create a separate folder for 3rd party plugins, e.g., \My Plugins, and install all plugins there. Then use Photoshop's preference setting to point PS to this "additional plugins folder." Can't do that in Painter (yet), but putting plugin folder shortcuts inside Painter's plugin folder works just fine.

The benefit of the \My plugins approach is the ability to share plugins across applications and never having to reinstall plugins ... Just update the PS preferences entry and/or the folder shortcuts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2006, 08:37 PM

Quote:
The benefit of the \My plugins approach is the ability to share plugins across applications and never having to reinstall plugins ... Just update the PS preferences entry and/or the folder shortcuts.
Thanks Danny, just dumped them in my photoshop plugins folder, usually this doesn't work (well at least not for the commercial plugins) unless I use the install program, but no problem for the KPT filter.... Thanks a bunch!
~Nancy~

Last edited by byRo; 02-03-2006 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Rô: Fixed a missing bracket
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2006, 09:28 PM

I started this thread and just wanted to let everyone know that I have purchased Painter 9. Thanks to everyone for all of thier input and look for my future threads asking for advice on using the new software!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2006, 12:00 AM

Thumbs down Hi all, the perfect thread for me...hope u are still here!

I just got a great deal on the 6x11 intuios3 with airbrush etc. and i am a CS2 pro, but I am reading a lot about natural painting and corel's name keeps coming up. I have not used corel since the days when IBM was considering buying the company...but my question is this: Why AND and not VS., specifically? Is there anything I can't learn to do in CS2 that can be done in painter? If so, I am game for trying. I loaded the Essentials2 that came with the tablet and was not impressed. I see there is an Essentials3 out there and tried to find out more but the Corel website is just a mess. Hmmm..any more thoughts on this? I want to get the most out of the tablet and start to learn how to paint digitally for anime, so not real keen on going outside of Adobe Suite (preservation of layers/import/export and all of that). Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2006, 03:25 AM

I'm not sure if I agree with what some people are saying about not being able to create digital paintings within Photoshop. I'm a 3D animator, and I frequent sites like CG Talk quite a bit. Almost all of the 2D paintings there are done in Photoshop, and they are fantastic and beautiful.

Here are two of my (many) favorites that I've checked out while browsing the forums there (I didn't do these, they were done by others). Both were painted completely within Photoshop - one is a photorealistic painting of a cat, the other is a cartoony version of a dog. And no, the cat painting isn't a photo!!

Cat: http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cathb2.jpg

Dog: http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/6344/dogly6.jpg

And here's a link to the 2D forums if you want to see more of their work.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=137

Now, I haven't used Painter before, and I'm sure you can create some really great work within that program. But the people at CGTalk have more than proven to me that Photoshop can hold it's own in the realm of digital painting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2006, 04:45 AM

now that's what i am talking about!

thanks for that. I guess I should just start with some tutorials in CS2 then for natural painting, and if i run into a snap, give corel a whirl. i want to animate my 2d cartoon that's in newsprint for a short anime, and i already know photoshop very well after 2 years of cartooning there. now that i have a tablet i am looking forward to an easier life...
jigs
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2006, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayDen
I'm not sure if I agree with what some people are saying about not being able to create digital paintings within Photoshop. I'm a 3D animator, and I frequent sites like CG Talk quite a bit. Almost all of the 2D paintings there are done in Photoshop, and they are fantastic and beautiful.
Let's try and clear things up a bit here.
You should use Corel Painter when you want to mimmick real-world painting techniques. You can make beautiful oil paintings, watercolours, charcoal sketches - but it seems that this is not what you want here.

You don't want a "painting", you want a digital image that looks real.
In this respect Painter does not offer any advantage (except, maybe in the most experienced hands), while Photoshop has more and better tools for you to use. Plus, you (and nearly all of us) have much more experience in PS.

So, in resume. If you want to do a Painting use Painter, for everything else use PS.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2006, 08:19 AM

Thumbs down No, I want to paint and sketch and airbrush...

Quote:
Originally Posted by byRo
Let's try and clear things up a bit here.
You should use Corel Painter when you want to mimmick real-world painting techniques. You can make beautiful oil paintings, watercolours, charcoal sketches - but it seems that this is not what you want here.

You don't want a "painting", you want a digital image that looks real.
In this respect Painter does not offer any advantage (except, maybe in the most experienced hands), while Photoshop has more and better tools for you to use. Plus, you (and nearly all of us) have much more experience in PS.

So, in resume. If you want to do a Painting use Painter, for everything else use PS.

thanks ro for that, but perhaps it's a hair splitting thing here. I want to, amoungst other freehand art forms, sketch out the anime in storyboards and animate that into full color cartoon, maybe even go from 2d to 3d to live video, don't know yet. but i do know that i want to airbrush and charcoal sketch, and i have the Intuios art pen on order and want to use those effects as well. so i guess my question is, which software best exploits the capabilities of the tablet and pens to do freehand art?

your descrioption of going from one to the other sounds like a nightmare to me, but i have not used a corel product since v1 of Draw. If Painter supports Photoshop layers (or I guess layered tiff) then your idea might work for me. If it does not, then I can't use that workflow.

with that said, as I have not used a tablet in 6 years, i am going to have to learn one tool or the other in regards to painting, I am just weighting the options before i dive in. thanks so much!!!
jigs
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software