RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Painter vs. Photoshop

Old 02-01-2006, 03:17 PM

Question Painter vs. Photoshop

I want to know what the differance and/or advantage is of Painter vs. Photoshop for digital art/paintings?

I have worked exclusivly with Photoshop and have not tried Painter. I want to be able to make more "painted" photographs and refine my skills. I have seen many photos on this site which state the color changes where done in Photoshop but the painting with Painter. Would the Painter users out thier give me thier opinion of the two programs and benefits of Painter?

I can honestly say that it feels like I am experimenting with Photoshop everytime someone asks for the painted look. I can't seem to find a technique or filter that I am happy with. I have tried Photoshop WOW which has some brushes and samples options for making painted images, but they are time consuming and I have not been thirlled with the results. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am attaching a photo of my daugher, please feel free to show a sample of your technique with this image. I have also attached a quick "painted", soft look that I did in Photoshop.

This image and all alterations are copyrighted by Robin Ludwig.

Last edited by RL Design; 09-09-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2006, 03:54 PM

not "vs", it's "and"

Robin, as soon as I saw the title I was already responding.....

Each program is remarkable in it's own area. Photoshop, as you very well know (congratulations on the contest win, again), is perfect for all sorts of image adjustments. You can go on forever learning new tools and new methods for working images.

However, when it comes to Artistic Painting then the tool to use is Painter. With Photoshop you can mimmick real painting, in Painter you actually do real painting. The Painter folks have worked really hard and have been wonderfully successful in transfering to the digital screen the whole painting experience - but without getting you fingers dirty.

On the other hand, although Painter has quite a range of tools for image adjustment they just can not compare with the Photoshop tools that have been fine tuned at each edition.

This means that the favoured workflow for those who want to Paint is:
1) Photshop to adjust the base image;
2) Painter, for the brush strokes;
3) Photoshop, for the final adjustments.

To sum it up, Painter is great if you have some idea of how to paint or, at least, are prepared (and have the patience) to learn some new skills.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2006, 10:13 PM

Thanks Ro... It sounds like I need to take a serious look at Painter if I want to expand these skills. Photoshop has been very fusterating for me in this area, I "know" what I want the image to look like but have an impossible time creating it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2006, 10:53 PM

Pics worth 1K words...

http://www.pbase.com/judy2810/

IMO you can't touch this type of result in Photoshop with filters, plugins and/or brush settings. While you might not totally like Judy's unique style, these examples illustrate Painter's strength: As Ro wrote, Painter enables one to digitally mimic realistic looking paint strokes.

While exceptional results can be achieved if one has traditional drawing/painting skills, very good results can still be achieved by using a combination of freeform strokes and strokes rendered using Painter's cloning capabilities.

Here's some discussion on Painter cloning that might help connect a few dots...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=16736745

re: "I have tried Photoshop WOW ... but [the methods] are time consuming"

Don't expect a huge increase in workflow efficiency when Painter enters the picture. Using it can be time consuming, too.

~Danny~

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 02-02-2006 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Fix a typo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2006, 12:23 AM

I agree. You basically "prep" the image in PS; color correct, retouch, etc, to take it into painter. Then the fun begins. I always end up back in PS, do do final color adjustments, details to eyes, hair, sharpening etc.
You have a lovely daughter.

~Nancy~
just playing around - one more photo art oil texture background.

http://www.fixthepixs.com
http://www.datepixs.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rl-daughter.jpg (45.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg rl-daughter1.jpg (44.8 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Nanls; 02-02-2006 at 01:07 PM. Reason: to upload a higher k image
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2006, 12:37 AM

Workflow...
* Photoshop: Contrast adjustments, isolate subject, build BG, prep with KPT Pyramid Painter, PS Dry Brush, Impressionist
* Painter for stroke effects, blending
* Photoshop: Fine tuning
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RP RL daughter 1.3 djr.jpg (96.6 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2006, 12:55 AM

Nice image Danny. I love KPT Pyraimid Paint; use it mainly for watercolors.
The more I use painter the more I realize how much more I have to learn!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2006, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanls
Nice image Danny. I love KPT Pyraimid Paint; use it mainly for watercolors.
The more I use painter the more I realize how much more I have to learn!
Thanks, Nancy. I know what you mean about Painter. I'm just barely scratching the surface of its capabilities.

Too much to learn, too little time!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2006, 11:05 AM

Good one Danny

If that KPT thing a 3rd party filter that is already in PS7 or PSCS2?... or did you buy it

Regards,

Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2006, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mc
If that KPT thing a 3rd party filter that is already in PS7 or PSCS2?... or did you buy it

Regards,

Bob
Hi Bob and thanks for the kind words.

A set of KPT plugins, including Pyramid Painter, is intalled along with Painter IX. (I ported this plugin to Photoshop.) I don't know offhand if it's available separately.

The effect Pyramid Painter renders is somewhere between Photoshop's Dry Brush filter and the free Xero > Caravaggio plugin, available here: http://www.xero-graphics.co.uk/

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software