RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Review: Grain Surgery

Old 12-18-2001, 12:43 PM
Janitor

Review: Grain Surgery

View here
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2001, 09:04 PM

Great review Doug and a good product too. I wish it weren't so pricey but I guess you get what you pay for. Definately worth checking into.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2002, 01:43 AM

Hi Doug,

haven't been able to retouch for a long while, but am now able to get back to it. (I have been lurking, of course). I read your review with interest and tried the demo for Grain Surgery. I have obtained some postcards of my grandparents home town in western Oklahoma and, when trying to enlarge, found they had a strong moire pattern.

These were postcards I wanted to enlarge so I had scanned them at a high resolution. I have also learned on the PS forum of a product called stair interpolation.

Anyway, my old scans were awful - terrible pronounced diamond patterns. Scanning at a much lower resolution, using grain surgery and then stair interpolation to enlarge, I got great results. Thanks for the review. I never would have tried this product otherwise.

Best regards,

Sharon
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2002, 07:28 AM

Wondering . . .

Hello Doug,

Now that you've used "Grain Surgery" for a while, I was just curious how you felt about the software. I found a site that sells the software for $179.00, which is a bit better than the home site. http://www.uniquephoto.com/index.php

I've worked with the demo and found the software impressive, in some instances I can "almost" duplicated the end result, but not quite. There are other times when Grain Surgery blows my mind with outstanding results. I guess like all plugins, they are not a cure-all, but merely a tool for certain types of problems. Seeing that I work on many textured photos and do a little astronomy photography as well, I'm just about to make the plunge to purchase it, I was just wondering about your opinion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2002, 08:39 AM
Janitor

An industry friend recently circulated an email asking "what plugins do you actually use day to day?" The answer was pretty easy for me. I have a lot of plugins, and enjoy using them, but Grain Surgery is the only one that I use because I actually need what it offers.

It makes compositing so much easier, since it eliminates one of the biggest variables. The time saved there alone would justify it for me. Cleaning up textured originals is more problematic. Sometimes it works, sometimes it softens them too much. I don't use the grain matching functions, but if you need that there's really no other option.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2002, 08:56 AM

Seems like a good time to trot out my link to further links on grain and noise removal/addition:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binar...V_links.html#G

The free Photoshop 6 actions are _really_ worth the download!

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2002, 10:24 AM

Grain Surgery version 2

According to Visual Infinity Grain Surgery version 2 will be announced soon at Photoshop World (this week, I believe).

Upgrade for version 1 owners: none.

DOUG: Any plans to update the GS review accordingly?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2002, 11:42 AM

<<Seems like a good time to trot out my link to further links on grain and noise removal/addition:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bina...TV_links.html#G

The free Photoshop 6 actions are _really_ worth the download!>>

I second that. You're going to put those people out of business.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2002, 12:26 PM

Hi Shag-Man, I can't take credit for creating the actions - just listing them in a handy manner, along with other info via links on the subject of grain and noise.

The actions in question can be found more directly here:

http://www.2morrow.dk/75ppi/coolpix/actions/

http://www.digitalsecrets.net/secrets/denoiseISO.html

http://netnet.net/~llueck/NR.htm

For a while I was working on my own 'degrainer' action with mixed results and thought that you could not do that good a job via an action and the inbuilt Photoshop controls...then I came over the 2morrow.dk/75ppi sites action and was blown away - this was much better than anything I had come up with (I had done quite a bit of research and play, but obviously not enough <g>).

Two of the above actions are action sets which contain more than just a single denoise action and can be useful in many cases.

They are a free alternative to the Fred Miranda commercial actions which only cost a minimal amount - but these are cheaper!

When playing with the beta of AlienSkin ImageDoctor's JPEG Repair - I found the 75ppi sites action set to do a much better job, although it was not as interactive or quick the actions results were often better than the filter (not sure of the final version though).

Sadly these actions are v6 or higher only, although that does not stop someone from remaking them for v4 or v5.x if they really, really want them and do not have v6.

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2002, 12:28 PM
Janitor

We'll have to see what their upgrade policy will be.

I've exchanged several emails with them about GS2 ever since my review, and even back then they said they had some stuff to include that would blow our minds.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software