RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Geekiest Photoshop tools

Old 02-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Janitor

I've been seeing more reports of devices such as this and this being used with Photoshop. They let you do things such as draw with the right hand while simultaneously adjusting brush size or hardness with the left. The first one even comes preconfigured for Photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 09:44 AM

http://www.artlebedev.com/portfolio/optimus/
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 10:32 AM

You guys gave me some good ideas.....

How about a mouse with 102 keys? Just put a wheel under the keyboard.

How abut a USB pedal-controller? I used to be play an organ, should be easy!

A bit more serious....I've been using Notepad++ for javascript and HTML, small, quick, easy and FREE (important geek parameter).

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 12:19 PM

A small offering for those messing with Filter Meister. A modicum of Code Geeka.

Attached is a txt file. Save it and rename to ffp. Start Photoshop, grab a photograph, go into Lab mode, start Filter Meister, and load the ffp code.

play.fiddle.learn
Attached Files
File Type: txt neutralizeLAB.txt (4.1 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 01:23 PM

Thanks for all your explanations on "geekness" and boy am i glad that there are some Geeks about to make my life easier, and no i won t be able to contribute to this thread but i will read it, might not understand it, but i do know where to go with any questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker
A geek used to be a person in the carnival that did rather weird things. I heard that it was specifically a person that bit the heads off of chickens and acted like a maniac. But I'm sure it could have refered to a variety of macabre activites.
edit: geek
finally on the subject of geekiness this definition brings to mind a celebrity named Ozzy Osbourne who funnily enough was born and brought up about 6/7 miles away from me ! ! ! !

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 02:02 PM

ok, doug and subsequently Ro playing off doug's input, gave me an idea as well. you've probably all seen those totally geeky game joysticks, the ones with 64 buttons, twists, axis x, y, z, rotate, sliders, et al. now, i happen to know these can be configured software wise. so, why not a game joystick configured to your favorite graphic editor? tilt forward for more 'pressure', back for less, left-right for different brushes, etc, ad infinitum.

of course the ultimate would be voice recognition. every few years i try out voice recognition for computer control. the last i tried was 'dragon naturally speaking'. now, this is geeky. for those that have never tried voice recognition software, you have to 'train' it to your voice. all voices are different, so you've got to teach it to recognize yours and teach it that that voice pattern means 'do this' on the computer. the ultimate in this is the star trek main computer. 'computer, tea, hot,, earl gray', and the computer serves up a cup a earl gray tea to captain pickard. that's voice recognition software.

now, i would think a graphic editor could make perfect use of voice recognition. 'computer, bezier curve, 300 pixels, left to right, tilt 30 degrees'. the dragon naturally speaking program was more a curious to see how far this technology had gotten than a real serious hope that it had gotten far. i did put it through its paces and did 'train' it, though i did have to send it back for a few refresher courses. and, it did work, limited as it was. it was set to natively work in windows and could do some windows functions by voice command. but trust me on this one, this software and technology has a LONG ways to go yet. it's clumsy, cumbersome, slow, and hard to train in most cases. it also has to have 'hooks' embedded in the software you're trying to operate with it, so it has a very limited range of things it will work with.

still, it's a great idea and has gobs of potential. someday we may all be working this way.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 02:49 PM

Ok, here's one not quite ready for Photoshop but when it is... oh brave new world!

http://mrl.nyu.edu/~jhan/ftirtouch/
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 03:20 PM

goose,

i like that one. i can see all sorts of cool things to do with that one!

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 03:20 PM

Sort of embarrassing to admit

I have a script for Paintshop Pro that allows me plot luminence and r,g,b versus distance along any straight line on an image. I just draw a vector on top of a raster layer, then click a button and it exports the data to an ascii file which allows me to do various nerdy analysis either in Excel or Matlab. Just rearrange the vector to choose a different direction of analysis.

Very handy when I want to determine when I've optimally sharpened an image or if I want to precisely analyze what a particular operation is doing to an image. A good example of the latter was getting a good visualization of the behaviors of multiply, screen, burn, and dodge by plotting their transfer curves. Also helped in understanding the difference between using the burn brush and using a regular brush set to burn blend (they are not quite the same thing in Paintshop.) You can also make a plot showing the precise effect of various interpolation algorithms--in any direction, not just 0 or 90 degrees.

Also useful for evaluating digicams based on test photos from online reviews. Settles a lot of arguments (in my mind) over which camera is producing more sharpness.

Is that nerdy enough?

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose443
... oh brave new world!
http://mrl.nyu.edu/~jhan/ftirtouch/
Minority Report meets Photoshop?

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software