RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Geekiest Photoshop tools

Old 02-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Janitor

Geekiest Photoshop tools

Here's your chance to share links for tools that help you get your geek on when working with Photoshop. "Geek" in this case being in the technical sense, not the carnival sense.

I'll start by sharing http://www.filtermeister.com, which lets you make your own filters.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2006, 11:49 PM

Good call with Filter Meister. I recently did more Lab filters, but I'm not telling. Nyeh!

{Right now I'm brushing up on my circles and spheres because I have a cool idea for contrast. How about 3d gamma?)

I also use Ultra-Edit for when I have to delve into Land of the Hexed. Just the other day I was using Ultra-Edit and VB6 to manipulate ACV files. Is that geek enough for ya?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 07:33 AM

help

Sorry but not sure what is ment by "Geek" either the technical sense or Carnival ?
Where i am from you are a "geek " which is meant as a sort of insult like a "nerd " or Book worm that sort of thing, So not sure if i can join in this thread. but will find it interesting anyway

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 08:24 AM

Palms, in the US, we respect our computer geeks. They're the ones with all the answers!
Quote:
"Geek" in this case being in the technical sense
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 08:37 AM

A geek used to be a person in the carnival that did rather weird things. I heard that it was specifically a person that bit the heads off of chickens and acted like a maniac. But I'm sure it could have refered to a variety of macabre activites.

I don't know how we went from the carnival geeks of yester-year to the techie geeks we have now-a-days. Perhaps some sort of connotation of outcast?

I wear my Badge of Geekhood proudly.
Can't touch this!

edit: geek
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 08:46 AM
Janitor

Geeks (and nerds) are the pinnacle of human evolution. Geeks have the best toys, the best jobs, and even the best pets.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker
I don't know how we went from the carnival geeks of yester-year to the techie geeks we have now-a-days. Perhaps some sort of connotation of outcast?
Acording to Wikipedia the link is....
Quote:
A derogatory term for one with low social skills, regardless of intelligence. (Late 20th century.)
(bolding mine)

So that would seem to put a chicken-head eater and a 3 a.m. filter coder in the same boat!

(PS: Only a geek would cite Wikipedia!)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 09:07 AM

If i got it right, something like this?
http://www.artlebedev.ru/portfolio/o..._photoshop.tif
and this?
http://www.artlebedev.com/portfolio/mus/
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 09:08 AM

Ahahaha! Roland, I added a link to geek in my other post that uses Answers dot com. Did some link hopping and found some serious funny regarding leet speek.

A few weeks ago I was over at my bud's house. He was on the phone with someone trying to help with an IRC client. He pulled a piece of paper out his wallet and read some numbers from it. After it was all sorted, he said to me, "You know your a geek when you carry a proxy in your wallet."

true.dat

The I see it, or the way it has been in my neck of the woods, is that a geek is a nerd with social skills. If you are smart and socially inept, then you are a nerd. If you are smart and well presented, then you are a geek.

One of my favorite geek jokes is:
There are 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't.
If you are a true geek, then you should see the layered irony in that joke.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 09:19 AM

since i understand stroker's joke, i guess that puts me in the geek class

but if you really want to know what a geek is, ask stroker about 3 dimensional color, lum frequencies, and 3 dimensional histograms... bring a pillow for when you fall asleep

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software