RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Flash MX image protection project

Old 02-09-2006, 07:42 AM

Flash MX image protection project

I'm embarking on a new project to protect images from being copied. This method will also prevent screen shots being taken. It's only in development/working theory stage at the moment. I was just wondering if this type of high security would be of interest to users here?

The final result would mean you can have high res proofs for customers to view, without the risk of them printing off and getting your work for free .
I'm looking at giving output images in swf format like this Here (and the final release would have download, direct link and copy protection/blocking. It will have password encryption even if download was achieved, and decompiler protection to cut out image ripping from the swf. There will also be the ability to disable the print screen function and render any key activity useless while the image is in view.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 02:13 PM

chris,

i have yet to view ANY image that i cant copy, one way or another. if i can see it on my monitor, i can copy it. i guarantee it. if in no other way, i can ALWAYS take a photo of the monitor. so, if it can be seen, it can be copied, regardless of how many keys you disable. and with flat screens being so prevalent nowadays, you dont even get any barrel distortion from the screen. and if you somehow figured out an interlace method to defeat digital cameras, there are still optical/analog cameras that would not be fooled.

now, i have seen some decent methods to slow or stop most folks from copying and a lot of them are swf based, so if that's what you're shooting for, why ok. just be aware that there's always a way to pick any lock

the best way for proofs is still watermarks across the image. i know. i rip a LOT of images just for personal pleasure and the ones i always leave alone are the watermarked ones. it's just not worth the effort to try to clean them up.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2006, 06:31 AM

It's a noble attempt but as Kraellin says: Where there's a will, there's a way.

Dave.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2006, 07:35 AM

It may be impossible to stop the tech minded from getting your images. But we are talking about showing customers your work, and they are mainly not able to do work on images. If they were, they would not have needed your services in the first place

I do like the cool watermarks you can put on with flash. Here is one on one of my own photos
http://www.chrishoggy.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wm.swf
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2006, 12:01 PM

Here is a quick example with low security and no folder lockdown (no htaccess files added etc). Let me know how long it takes for you to get the restored image (it isn't a fully restored image by the way )
http://www.chrishoggy.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/test/

Image you are looking for is a 1600x1146 jpg file

Last edited by chrishoggy; 02-11-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2006, 04:53 PM

You are not displaying the big image. Display the big image and then ask how long it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishoggy
Here is a quick example with low security and no folder
Image you are looking for is a 1600x1146 jpg file
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2006, 05:04 PM

Quote:
You are not displaying the big image. Display the big image and then ask how long it takes...
You are viewing the big image, as that is the restored image you can see through the viewer. It's there, being viewed and you can see every bit of the image. It's just not all showing at the same time .

Images that are in the script can be hotlinked to and viewed from source. So like I said, show me the image

Move viewer with your mouse

Last edited by chrishoggy; 02-11-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2006, 05:19 PM

Then it must be me: all I get to see is a small image with a magnifying glass that I can move around. Granted it magnifies the area that is on top of, but I don't get to see the "big picture"... pun intended.

If you feel that strongly, look into the possibility of having an applet that does not display anything unless the browser is in focus (I don't know if it can be done without mucking with the OS...) and disabling the keyboard. Then the only method left (there is always a way...), would be by taking a photograph of the monitor.

I think, it is an interesting and valiant effort but a futile one.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishoggy
You are viewing the big image, as that is the
Images that are in the script can be hotlinked to and viewed from source. So like I said, show me the image
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I think, it is an interesting and valiant effort but a futile one.
Fact is, a customer can view any part of a restored image via the viewer (that can be made bigger). They can zoom in on detail and see the work done, but they can't print the restored image
Fact that you can't show me the whole image, proves it isn't that easy to get/grab/hotlink to, or what ever. So it proves the method works
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Janitor

My (ex)father-in-law used to say "Locks only keep out honest people"
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software