RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Deep Paint - Cloner Paint Settings

Old 02-18-2006, 09:54 PM

Deep Paint - Cloner Paint Settings

I've been trying to figure out the Paint settings for the Cloner brushes in Deep Paint.
Got most of them, but one still eludes me!

This is how I understand them....
  1. Nothing selected: The color that is cloned will basically depend on where you first clicked on the image. If you click on something, say Red, then everything gets toned in Reds. To get this to look good you should only clone inside the area of the original colour (unless you really do want a colour cast) Warning - This can be fun! (att.1)
  2. Detail: The brush will pick up the colour from the cloned image. This would be the "normal" type of cloning;(att.2)
  3. Canvas Texture: The texture selected in the toolbox (below the C,B,S controls) is applied to the painting. If "Detail" is selected this goes without problems - if "Detail" is not selected then it seems that the texture "dies out";
  4. Selected Color: The foreground colour will be painted, no the cloned colour. However the B and S still work, so you can make an "embossed" version;(att.3)
  5. Finer Detail: The brush will only clone in areas with hue "similar" to the spot you clicked in. Can be used for some interesting effects - usually, however, this isn't what you want.(att.4)

..and the question is...

What does "Define Edge" do?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DP-Nothing-byRo.jpg (97.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DP-Detail-byRo.jpg (98.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DP-Selected-Colour-byRo.jpg (98.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DP-More-Detail-byRo.jpg (99.4 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2006, 08:50 AM

Defined Edge Setting: I have intuitively assumed that you use this to clone/paint the edges of objects in the source image. It seems to do the job. I suspect is sees strong contrast changes (the edge), and suprresses cloning of pixels outside a certain range either side of the contrast change.

I have not been able to "see" any adjustments in the tools when you "stay" on the Clone tab. All of the adjustments you spoke of are for the Clone Ex group under the "Paint" tab. Have you found any way to change or adjust the clone tools under the Clone tab?

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2006, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken45140
Defined Edge Setting: I have intuitively assumed that you use this to clone/paint the edges of objects in the source image. It seems to do the job. I suspect is sees strong contrast changes (the edge), and suprresses cloning of pixels outside a certain range either side of the contrast change.
Yes, that's exactly what it does! (attach 1).

I discovered what was happening (but not, why ).
When you try to clone an image, without passing through the Clone Tab (as I was doing), everything works fine except the Define Edge.
You don't even need to select the option while on the Clone Tab - just need to pass through there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken45140
I have not been able to "see" any adjustments in the tools when you "stay" on the Clone tab. All of the adjustments you spoke of are for the Clone Ex group under the "Paint" tab. Have you found any way to change or adjust the clone tools under the Clone tab?
There are a lot more adjustments that can be made to the clone brushes under the Paint tab, but these options I mentioned are on the Clone tab (see attach 2).

Thanks for the nudge.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DP-Edges.jpg (98.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DP-SS-byRo.jpg (98.0 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2006, 11:01 AM

Another Important Settings Panel

While we are on the subject of settings, I wondered how/why some of the brushes would jump around in orientation as you stroked. This setting is one of the more interestings (important?) if you want abstract-like dabs or strokes vs carefully hand drawn strokes. There are several layers of command settings which, when you burrow down, leads to a "Random" setting panel. When any one of these is set to more than a zero value, you will get .... well....random characteristics to your strokes. Setting these for more "control" may give you something closer to what you want. The attachment shows the hierarchy of command menus.

FWIW.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A1.jpg (66.3 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2006, 12:37 PM

Describe Your Settings Learnings

It seems that if those who are learning/working with Deep Paint would take a moment to write a note here describing whatever learning step that has just been completed, that it would serve as a growing depository of help/tip/explanation notes and messages. Eventually it could grow into quite a resource thread.

Example:

Preset files: The standard Preset files are located in Program Files>RightHemisphere>DeepPaint>Resource>Preset Categories.

I believe these are non-changeable, although they are not set as read-only. I have made a backup copy of the Preset Categories folder anyway.

When you customize presets (make new ones, copy and adjust old ones, etc), and you click Yes to save presets upon exiting the program, it saves a file called Presets.tbx in the Resources folder. This one file seems to contain all of the presets at that point, although it may contain only those presets to which you have made changes. I tried opening a tbx file but it is binary (with some text of course); nothing useful to see inside.

Finally, you can export a presets category, which will give you the opportunity to save as a tbx file in a location of your choosing.

A neat learning is that you can make a "cloner" out of any other type of preset by changing the brush attributes (double-click on the name of the tool), and choose "Clone Paint" from the Brush & Paint Preset Editor which pops up. (See attachment.)

Is anyone finding this helpful? Can you contribute?

Thanks,

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A1.jpg (77.1 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2006, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byRo
When you try to clone an image, without passing through the Clone Tab (as I was doing), everything works fine except the Define Edge.
I definitely confirmed what you said, and found no combination of steps that allowed Define Edge to work without first passing thru the Clone tab (which sets up the clone source and outline layer automatically).

Thanks,

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2006, 03:07 PM

Taking a stroll throught the installed DP folders, you'll find a a million (ok, well a couple of hundred) textures ready for use.

Another thing I noticed is that the brush shapes are easy to acess.
The "bitmap" brush shapes in the folder actually are not bitmaps, just JPG's.
So, I experimented making my own and - it worked. Simple.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DP-byRo-Brush.jpg (97.6 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2006, 07:19 AM

Cloner Tool vs Cloner Brushes

I found a use for the cloner tool that PS or PSP can not duplicate (no pun intended). If you need to clone a large area, say some grass, perhaps to remove a shadow, the DP clone tool can be set to any shape you want (vs a square or a circle). Then, you can set the orientation to random, and as you literally "paint" the good area into the bad area, it randomizes and looks much better than a series of duplicative copies. Narrow use of the tool admittedly, but it might come in handy in certain circumstances.

Ken
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software