RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Free Equalization Plugins from byRo

Old 02-28-2006, 05:59 PM

Free Equalization Plugins from byRo

Thanks to some prodding from Doug and Camaeraken, and infected with some of Stroker's enthusiasm, I finally dived headlong into FilterMeister.

One thing that I'd always wanted to do with JavaScript, but it is way too clumsy, was to make me some equalization filters.

PS does have an equalization adjustment but it is based on the composite channel - mine equalizes all channels.

Well here they are, thought I'd share them with my friends.
Simple to use, just one slider to decide how much you want to mix back in with the original. 100% gets the full equalization, 0% does nothing and 20% to 40% sometimes looks good.

The Flat Equalization bumps the contrast, and the Bell equalization smooths the contrast. (see attachments)

They are ".8bf" files so you can just put them in your plugin folder.

Have fun!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg byRo-Flat-PlugIn.jpg (98.6 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg byRo-Bell-PlugIn.jpg (97.0 KB, 103 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip byRo-flat-equalizer.zip (80.5 KB, 71 views)
File Type: zip byRo-Bell-Equalizer.zip (80.7 KB, 68 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2006, 06:43 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Well, you did it again, Ro! Thanks for sharing.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2006, 10:07 PM

thank you, Ro! i was going to post in that thread on filtermeister and see if any of you would consider converting some of those %ffp files into .8bf's. you been mind reading again

craig

Last edited by Craig Walters; 03-05-2006 at 11:09 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2006, 10:35 PM

Craig, actually these plugins are not a conversion of existing ffp files - I coded them myself.
However, if you do see something interesting there in the codelibrary I'm sure we can fix something up.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2006, 10:49 PM

Ro,

hehe, i assumed those %ffp things were source and that you coded in that and converted to .8bf. so, ok, i stand corrected.

and i wont even presume to be able to understand all, or even much, of what's being discussed over there by ken and stroker and yourself, i did see some interesting discussions and that got me thinking of at least one thing i've run across many times in psp, or rather, a lack of something.

psp has a decent 'color replacer' tool, but i often find myself wanting a color remover tool, something that would leave a blank on a given color, just erase it completely, and also having a tolerance range to it so that you could pick a range of a given color or hue to erase thoughout an image. i have plugins that will do that with black or white, but not color. an extra on that would be something that with a slider you could reduce the opacity of the given color or color range down to nothing.

'hue map' will change the colors and also increase or decrease saturation and will also do the same with lightness, but it wont remove to 0 opacity or even reduce opacity.

i find this need mostly when doing extractions. psp does a decent job, but there almost always seems to be those few problematic pixels that just wont get picked up in any selection method. it would be nice to have something that you could just click on a color/hue and it would select all the same ones, or a range of those, set a slider to reduce opacity or to completely erase those remaining pixels. you might have to do this more than once on an image where hues desired to get rid of are very close to those you want to keep, but it would still be easier than hand removal.

so, how's that for a project?

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2006, 01:41 PM

Hi Rô.

Thanks for the Plug-ins. They work great. I have used PS equalize quite a lot in the past. Now have two more tools for my toolbox.
Maybe a gamma slider in there would make it even better.

They are certainly an improvement on PS Equalize.

Thanks again.

Craig.

Try these.

http://www.mehdiplugins.com/english/eraserclassic.htm
http://www.mehdiplugins.com/english/erasergenuine.htm

If they don’t do what you want then I’ll try and write something different

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_Sample.jpg (98.3 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2006, 03:09 PM

ken,

thanks. i already have these and do use them. but, they are not quite what i'm looking for. they try to handle all of the hsl range or all of the rgb range at once. what i want is simpler. if i have particular color or range of colors or hues that i want to erase specifically, the mehdi tools just dont do that quite as well as i'd like and tend to either want to erase too much or not enough and it's hard to tune them to a specific color or small range. what i want is something like the 'hue map' in psp that doesnt change a range, but erases a range, but with a little more precision in me being able to select that range pretty exactly.

as an example, let's say all i wanted to remove from an image was a small range of light greens. i'd like something that allowed me to select that desired range and then move a slider to reduce opacity or completely erase that range from the image.

the mehdi erasers are good for some things, but in a complex image it just doesnt allow for enough precision in a given color or range of colors.

so, anything you could do along these lines would be great. i'm attaching an image which i tried to erase just the green of the painting. the mehdi just didnt allow precise enough control to erase those and only those. i probably could have done it with the mehdi eraser had i made a selection first, but i'd like something without having to make a selection if possible.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wc0001_1bs.jpg (41.9 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Craig Walters; 03-05-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2006, 10:30 AM

Roland! When I was looking into neutralizing, I also did some looking for equalizing. I finally found something about equalizing and it's looking like I'm going to have to brush up on statistics and probability. Egads.

Kudos to you.

Craig, I've got several handy. But the example you posted has had me smashing my keyboard. The hat and painting is a real bear for hue ChOps. I finally got lucky, though. Quick-n-sleazy, but shows promise for your particular photograph. I'll drop some notes in the next few days. Hopefully your host won't choke on my brew.

Should I take this to the FM thread or start another one all together?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greenhat2D.jpg (27.2 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Stroker; 03-05-2006 at 10:57 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2006, 11:12 AM

stroker,

post here or the other, wherever you think is best. i watch both threads... dont understand, but i watch.

also, i dont understand your image posted here. how is that an erasure of the green painting part?

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software