RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Spyware Remover

Old 01-02-2002, 02:03 PM

Spyware is linked with freeware in as much as the folks who write the freeware frequently include the spyware( charging companies etc. to direct info to those sites) as a way of making some money for their efforts. I suppose there is here the potential beginnings of a great debate about the pros and cons of this approach, but, I object to being electronically "tagged" without my knowledge or informed consent, and monitored, regardless for what reason. I just feel that if the program has spyware in it and requires the spyware to be active in order to work, I want nothing to do with it. Too much potential for mischief, as data tends to get traded and/or sold among business concerns, without the informed consent of the individual invloved. Terribly "Big Brotherish" I think and somewhat alarming..just my paranoid ramblings, although I was once told that the difference between a neurotic and a paranoid is that the neurotic thinks someone is out to get 'em while the paranoid Knows someone is. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2002, 05:55 PM
Janitor

Probably the biggest spyware perpetrator out there is Doubleclick. If you don't specifically go to their site and "opt out" they will put a cookie on your machine and track you from site to site (granted, they don't know who "you" is, and can only track you to sites that hire them).

Another variety is software that has a spyware element that is installed along with the software, such as Kazaa (a music service). Even uninstalling this won't get rid of the spyware. There are techniques to remove it fully listed on the web.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2002, 10:22 PM

Thanks, Doug! I went there and opted out immediately. Doubleclick is always on my cookie list when I'm housecleaning.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2002, 07:53 AM

While not software, those of you who work on computers at your workplace might want to check out the link below...its kinda interesting..in a spooky sort of way...http://www.keykatcher.com/howitworks.htm ...never know whos "listening"! Might be a good topic for a new thread in the salon area, something about insights concerning expectations vs. actualities of computer/internet/network privacy and how this might relate to working with someones treasured photos? Just a thought.... Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2002, 07:50 PM

Think of all the neat toys we could buy if we didn't have to keep spending money to protect our equipment ie. anti spyware, anti virus etc.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2002, 08:32 PM

Yea....Charcoal sticks and colored clay and blank cave walls are beginning to seem more attractive and considerably cheaper... Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2002, 10:02 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Okay, you've talked me into Ad-Aware. Even though I almost never get spam, I simply don't like someone looking over my shoulder. Reading some of the reviews, I saw where one guy said something about deleting files from the registry. I'm a complete computer idiot. Are there any guidelines as to what *not* to delete? Any specific file extensions or anything else to look for?

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2002, 11:21 PM

Why doesn't your anti virus programs catch these spy things?
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2002, 06:11 AM

Ed, the instructions on the web site and with the program explain all about how to work it, believe me, if I can do it, you can do it! It doesnot run amok thru the registry hacking out anything it encounters..I was leery of that when I first checked it out, but all it does is get rid of spyware and leaves everything else.
Dj, As I understand it, the type of coding and purpose of the programs are different from the virus ones, so the anti-virus programs look upon them as benign, and ignore them. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2002, 09:06 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Thanks for the reply Tom. I'll surely give it a shot.

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software