RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

PS6 vs. older versions

Old 12-27-2001, 09:04 AM

hey dj

have you had ps6 long enough now to report on your impressions and specifically the pluses and minuses over the earlier version you had? what was hard to learn/get used to? You using it exclusively now? inquiring minds need to know . . .
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2001, 09:36 AM

Yes Kathleen, I'm using it exclusively now. I figured if I kept going back and forth between versions, I would never learn it.

I am still having to learn things and so far I found the Type the most difficult because it's so vastly different than it used to be. I hadn't really needed to use it much in restoration but lately I had a customer who wanted words added to her photo and some style with it and I got very frustrated trying to work with the type tool.
It's basically just a point of having to unlearn and relearn but I still like what it can ultimately do. My biggest disappointment was not being able to install my photo bars by Extensis. It put all those dropdown lists as little icon bars on the side of my palletes and I could customize it to what I used most and where I wanted them grouped. Made life much easier but now they don't work with version 6 and Extensis won't create a fix to do so. So now I am having to learn the keystrokes.
I do like version 6 but since I am still having to learn it's bells and whistles I didn't think I could give a good review of it, just an uneducated one.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2001, 10:58 AM

thanks my friend.

it's interesting to hear you impressions, in particular when the changes in the type tool are what most incline me to get it - am I right in thinking that it will make type along a path like illustrator? I saw a tutorial once that showed how ps5 can make type in a circle, but that has limited usefulness for me.
trust you will continue to learn new tricks in '02.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2001, 05:53 PM

After the cursing I did trying to get a simple type done, you're asking the wrong person. I know you can do alot more with the type feature in 6 and I am impressed with the possibilities even though I don't know how to work them as of yet. I do like the warp feature and I believe you are correct in that you can type along a path but your guess is as good as mine as to how to go about doing that. Lately I haven't had much time to do anything with the holiday increase in business so I am hoping I get more time after the new year to really get into some tutorials on the type feature specifically and other good features specific to 6. If I find some good ones I will let you know about them. Sounds like you're thinking of upgrading soon or have you already? From what I hear, Adobe is due to come out with another upgrade soon but that could be just rumor. If it isn't you may want to wait and just get the next one and save the bucks in between.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2001, 07:11 PM

Are you both using 6 or 6.1 ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2001, 07:51 PM

6.1 actually but it's still basically 6 with a patch.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2001, 09:54 PM

I have use Photoshop since version 2.0 and like the present version 6.1 better than any of the pervious versions.

George
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2001, 10:53 PM

Same here George but since it is so very different from previous versions, I'm having to relearn some things. But rest assured when I do, I'll be cruising through this program. (That should be just about the time Adobe is on version 10)
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2001, 01:55 AM

I've been trying to decide if I should get PS6 or not it's quite expensive here around $1600 and I'm not sure I can justify the expense. I'm using 5.02 at the moment and I guess I have to look at it this way. While I would like the new version the older one is doing the job I need to do maybe my money is better spent in other areas. I'll just have eto put it on my wish list, wonder when some magic fairy is going to grant that list.lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2001, 05:37 AM

I still haven't ventured past version 4.0. Since I mostly do restoration work in PS, and I haven't seen any features that would make my work easier in that respect, I'm holding on to my money. If I do plunk down some big cash, it will be for a new scanner with the Digital Ice technology. From what I've seen, this technology is awesome! It's so good it's scary.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software