RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Recommended software for a specific type of Colorization?

Old 05-02-2006, 12:57 PM

Recommended software for a specific type of Colorization?

Hi every body, Bigkaiwang here. I'm new, becuase I was looking for an answer to a question of mine and this place seemed like a decent community with knowledgable people, so I figured I would give it a shot.

For a project I am working on, I need the ability to take grayscale images and colorize them based on luminosity. I am looking to buy or upgrade software solely for this purpose, as my imaging software is quite old and it's about time for an upgrade anyways.

Can anyone recommend me software that has the ability to colorize a grayscale image based on luminosity and a color lookup table? Ideally I would be able to assign a range of colors over a luminosity histogram and then paint this range of colors over an area and have it colorize the image based on the LUT. I think this would result in the most accurate and easiest colorization.

If anyone has ever used this method to colorize, and can tell me what software they used to do it, or you know of some other method of achieving these results, please let me know, I appreciate your help greatly.

-B
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2006, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkaiwang
Hi every body, Bigkaiwang here. I'm new, becuase I was looking for an answer to a question of mine and this place seemed like a decent community with knowledgable people, so I figured I would give it a shot.

For a project I am working on, I need the ability to take grayscale images and colorize them based on luminosity. I am looking to buy or upgrade software solely for this purpose, as my imaging software is quite old and it's about time for an upgrade anyways.

Can anyone recommend me software that has the ability to colorize a grayscale image based on luminosity and a color lookup table? Ideally I would be able to assign a range of colors over a luminosity histogram and then paint this range of colors over an area and have it colorize the image based on the LUT. I think this would result in the most accurate and easiest colorization.

If anyone has ever used this method to colorize, and can tell me what software they used to do it, or you know of some other method of achieving these results, please let me know, I appreciate your help greatly.

-B
Allow me to recommend my favorite software for that type of work: Photoshop.

Use a gradient map. Does exactly what you're looking for.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2006, 07:27 PM

Hi Bigkaiwang.

Welcome to RetouchPro

Edgework is correct. A gradient map should do what you want. There is a tutorial here
http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=132

However
We could also write this as a plug-in. We would need to know all the ranges and colours. And a large donation to RetouchPro. And we could write a plug-in specifically for this job.

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2006, 05:31 PM

Check this thread it may be what your looking for.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/software/12243-software-colorize-photos.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2006, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the advice everybody, very helpful tutorials. I was hoping to avoid photoshop if at all possible, so if anyone knows of any other methods, let me know.

-B
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2006, 01:05 PM

Hi Bigkaiwang.

A plug-in would be compatible with many programs. Paint Shop Pro, The Gimp and any other software that accepts 8bf Plug-ins.

Or, as long as you find a program with gradient maps and stops. I does not have to be Photoshop.

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2006, 04:05 PM

what are you using now?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software