Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Bit of a headache

Old 05-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Newbie Bit of a headache

Ok, this is the setup hehe, I have a 300 DPI image that is abuot 8.5x11 with some small text on it etc, it is an email supposed to be sent out to potential costumer.

Ok to the problem. I need to size it down to be viewable on a email. So I resized the image down to 72dpi but there go the text and alot of the detais.

So I size it down to 100-150 dpi and great it works but even though I am puttin more pixels in that 8.5x11 area when inserted on the email or forwarded it will be sent in its pixel ratio and not in the inch ratio. If I pixel it down detail+small text goes bye bye. If I keep 150 dpi is way too large on the email. The file size is fine the only problen is the aspec ratio on the email.

Any ideas ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2006, 02:07 PM
put it on a site where the client can ftp it. there are plenty of free sites out there for this. in fact, now that i think of it, there is that free file transfer site. you post it, send the client an email with the special address you are provided and they can simply download it from there. sorry, i dont recall the address, but i'm sure someone will be along who does.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2006, 02:22 PM
The easiest way to get a handle on these things is to always remember that DPI only refers to the interface between the analogue and digital worlds.

Analogue -> Digital, DPI of the scanner
Digital -> Analoque, DPI of the printer.

If you are only staying in the Digital world you should never use anything but pixel dimensions.

Having said that, in your case everything is digital. You have a digital image 2550 x 3300 pixels. If you want to send that via e-mail you'll have a JPG between 300K and 2M depending on the quality chosen.
At the receiving end the customer will get a digital image 2500 x 3300 pixels.

Now, if the apect ratio is wrong you probably forgot tick the "Constrain Proportions" checkbox when resizing.

Hope this helps.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2006, 06:56 AM
Thanks guys. Im going to play around with that today. Another problem is that it has to be somewhat legible when printed from someone recieving the email. So you see what I mean this is the final file I have been able to get, is small and fairly legible with an ok ammount of detail

Link because is 400k
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2006, 04:42 PM
A couple of the ftp type of site Craig mentioned which I've used are and
Another thought, have you considered saving/ exporting your file as a pdf file? Would make it very simple for your potential client to view your work and simple attachment to the email for you without worrying about the size of the image as it will appear in the email.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software