RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Filter Forge

Old 05-27-2006, 05:54 PM

Here you go!

1) Main screen
2) Filter Editor screen

Attached Images
File Type: jpg MainScreen.jpg (99.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg FilterEditor.jpg (99.3 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2006, 08:12 PM

Rô, Thank You.
Your Draganizer filter also works fine on my PC so it looks like we Can share filters.
This is good. Hopefully if we all get a free copy then we can share ideas before submitting filters in the future.

With the tools provided it would be possible to create some restoration and repair tools. But there is no category for them. I need to post at FF forum to find out if these are wanted or not.

I have still had no luck with frames and borders. This is a shame. FF could have a whole new use if these were possible.

Sorry, I did say it requires XP. What I meant was that it won’t run on Win98.

Doug. Attached is my pencil sketch (basic method) blur=50. It’s a start.

Ken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_outdoors3.jpg (99.9 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2006, 11:24 PM

Sleep. I need SLEEP.....

Here's a (lot) more complicated sketch effort. Not too good yet, but I 've got to leave something for tomorrow.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FF-pencil-sketch-byRo.jpg (99.6 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2006, 12:16 AM

cool. wasnt sure that would work, but in theory it shld have. so, good

ok, i'm submitting one to you guys too. this is one that i uploaded to FF today. i just sort of went crazy

also attached is an original image borrowed from the the photo art forum and one done with the filter i uploaded today.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FLOWER_copy-1-k-1.jpg (97.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg FLOWER-2-k-1a.jpg (93.8 KB, 27 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Raised Relief Weave 1.zip (1.8 KB, 3 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2006, 01:16 AM

i tried ken's sketch one out. worked fine. i'll try Ro's tomorrow (sunday).

i also altered kens' ... a LOT and came up with something different. not a sketch at all. not quite sure what to call this....wet glass? melted glass?

the attached is the filtered image on top of the original and then blended with luminance, duped again and blended with burn. i'm having a ball with this thing

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FLOWER-wet-glass-1-k-1.jpg (96.9 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2006, 12:11 PM

Craig, a question...maybe it has already been answered. When you download FF, do you get a lot of "demo" filters thrown in? Filters you can't use unless you buy the non-free version? I don't want a bunch of these cluttering up my hard drive like the so-called freebie of "Eye Candy", (two usable filters and 14 usable only if you buy the whole package.)

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
guys,

despite my seemingly cantankerous requests to vladimir, this is one AMAZING program! i've already made two filters and not just cute texture types. this thing has a LOT of features, an intuitive interface, especially if you've worked with any type of editor before (including graphic editors), and is very much a 'plug'n-play', drag and drop, type editor. but dont let the ease of use fool you. it's got POWER!

not only do you have access to a growing library of filters and not only can you create your own, you can also edit any of the existing ones! so, you see a filter and go, 'boy, that's close to what i wanted, but not quite.'. so, open the editor portion and edit it how you want it and save it back out as a new or updated filter! very slick!

so far i've found no real bugs nor had any crashes at all. i've got some interface issues and of course a growing wish list, but those are minor. the program works with PS, PSP, Elements, and just about any program that uses adobe standard plugins, i would think. i dont know how many versions back you can go in ps or psp before it wouldnt work, but it certainly works in psp 9 and 10 and elements 4 and from other users, ps cs2.

there is a forum for talking to vladimir and reporting bugs and getting help. the documentation is a bit short right now, but like i said, it's pretty intuitive and pretty simple to use. in short, i'm having fun

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byRo
Opening the components panel another quarter gets used.
True. I've found out that the panel stays open during the 90% of time and is actually needed very rarely. Despite the hotkeys, nobody closes it. I'm thinking about replacing it with something non-permanent, like a menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byRo
I use a smaller image, the filter is SLOW. I'm sure that Vladimir and the guys already know that and must be rounding off the corners
I'm afraid we've already squeezed out every bit of performance we could get (a separate exe with whole-program SSE2 optimizations, our custom assembly-level math routines, smart antialiasing algo, extensive profiling, delayed loading, caching etc etc), so I'm afraid you can't expect big perormance boosts.

Also, Filter Forge is built for the future, not for the past -- it is slow on current middle-end PCs, but will scale extremely well as the number of cores per CPU increases. Two cores mean ~90 percent boost. Four cores mean ~180 percent boost. Sticking to an architechture that would be fast today but useless tomorrow would make Filter Forge outdated within two-three years, as happened with many plugins.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2006, 02:30 PM

steve,

currently, the way things work, you HAVE to sign up for the beta AND be approved before you can even download it. and yes, it comes with ALL currently approved filters and textures. i dont know exactly how many there are now, but it's a fair number.

and, from what i gather, once it's out of beta, this will still work this way. the filters can NOT be used without the program. so, you get everything when you sign up for beta or buy the released version. and, there is a 'check the site for new filters' function. all nice and slick.

i've checked the file sizes too. the biggest filter size i've got so far is only 14 kb. that's pretty small. and the biggest one i've seen of the pre-made ones is only 35 kb. that means you could save roughly 40 THOUSAND before ever using a gig of harddrive space.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2006, 03:03 PM

byRo -- cool filter, keep them coming!
http://www.filterforge.com/filters/316.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2006, 03:52 PM

I just downloaded the Edge Selector.

Great stuff.

I hope you get some sleep tonight.

Ken.
Reply With Quote top