RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

trying to figure this style out...

Old 05-28-2006, 10:59 PM

trying to figure this style out...

Any ideas would help me here...I have gotten close with certain techniques in PSCS, but I cannot get the clean lines that these art images have. Any ideas how to get this type of images (like deadkidsongs, see us not how we are, and flowers in the attic) or do you think it is done primarily by hand and I am barking up the wrong tree. I am wanting to be able to take a photo of a person or animal and turn it into this kind of pop art outline kind of look-- all one color with no shading. Thoughts? thanks in advance!

-Kate
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2006, 07:13 AM

Hi Kate,

... a posted image or a link to an example of what you aim to would be very helpful ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2006, 07:45 AM
Patron

Is this the said graphic? -I did a google on some of the info in your post.
Or are you thinking of a posterized Warhol kind of style...? Perhaps you could post examples and/or your own efforts to give an idea of what you're after.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg butterfly.jpg (65.1 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Littlecoo; 05-29-2006 at 08:02 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2006, 02:19 PM

oops!

Oops! my late night goofiness is catching up to me I see! I have tried filters in PS combined with layers to simplify and I am just wondering if maybe this is done in some other program. Beautiful though.

http://www.gutterpark.com/gppretties.html

-Kate
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2006, 06:27 PM
Patron

Aha... Looks like a job for IllustratorCS or similar...vector work like the vine example I have done here. If you haven't got Illustrator you can download the trial version from Adobe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vine.jpg (99.3 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2006, 07:28 PM

if you already have the art work -- then is this something close to what you are looking for?

(another Filter Forge plug -- it really is great if you haven't tried it!!!)

Marsha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg butterflyAFT.jpg (89.3 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2006, 07:45 PM

Littlecoo is correct. These are vector graphics created in Illustrator, Freehand or Corel Draw.

There are two kinds of graphics programs. Draw (Illustrator, Freehand, Corel Draw etc.) and Paint (Photoshop, Painter, PSP etc.) You can only achieve the clean sharp lines, such as these graphics have, in a drawing program. They can be combined with Photoshop projects and maintain all their crispness and this is true especially in Photoshop CS2 which uses "smart objects and retains all the vector information through output.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2006, 12:10 AM

I have just gotten my hands on Illustrator and have not yet had the chance to delve into it. I definitely have an interest in this type of image (striking color and solid sharp lines, but with some detail maintained even in a total lack of shading), and have some images in mind that I think would work well...I just couldn't tell (b/c of inexperience) if these were computer creations or just computer enhanced traditional graphic art drawings. I have been trying like heck to take a photograph and get it to the point where all you can see is light and dark but with smooth solid transitions, and I have not found a way to remove the midtones without making things a fuzzy mess.

marsha-- that plug in looks like it could perhaps get you off and running in the right direction...but alas it is Windows only right now and I am on a mac...thanks for the suggestion.

-kate

Last edited by palomino; 05-30-2006 at 12:15 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software