RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Bill's next monopoly?

Old 05-29-2006, 09:25 AM

Bill's next monopoly?

With Windows Vista Microsoft plans to introduce its own proprietary alternative to the universal JPEG protocol. Undoubtedly aiming to replace it. I consider that bad news.
Exactly like I never use Apple's AAC format, but stick to MP3 because of its universal compatibility.

So will it be Bill's next monopoly?
Only if we, users, fall for it!

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/wmphoto/default.aspx
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2006, 10:48 AM
Janitor

Jpeg isn't universal. In fact, Forgent want to charge you for it, and might succeed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
Jpeg isn't universal. In fact, Forgent want to charge you for it, and might succeed.
If this is the same case as a year ago, some large companies have already paid. The thing that bothers me is the idea of jpeg was that companies come forward and make their claims before making it a standard. This company waited until everyone was using it as a free standard, then demanded pay. And apparently they are getting away with it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2006, 12:28 PM

doug,

that would be like compuserve now trying to charge for anyone using a .gif. it would be ludicrous, not that that would stop anyone. pheh!

there is a law in the tradermark/patent arena that goes something like, 'if your brand name becomes synomous with the product type, you can no longer trademark it. 'jello' ran into this and so did 'reynold's wrap' and some others. that's why you now hear the jello commercial say 'jello brand gelatin' instead of just 'jello'. i would think the same thing or something very similar applies to file formats. once they've become a standard with no restrictions on use, you cant just go retro on the patent/copyrights. but, that's just me; and lawyers dont think that way

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Janitor

The GIF situation was actually caused by the LZW patent, which expired a couple of years ago.

And the Jello situation (called trademark genericizing) demonstrates why Adobe hates it when people say "photoshopped".
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2006, 05:53 PM

genericizing.... i knew there was a term for it.

and lol, i hadnt even thought of 'photoshopping' something. and yeah, i'll bet adobe hates it.

does anyone else wonder about all this copyright, trademark, patents, and so on? i mean, was Bach ever concerned that someone would rip him off? Beethoven? Da Vinci? Rembrandt?

as an artist, i see something and i want to do something with it, some image or piece of music or whatever...and i often do. but, if it's based on someone else's work, i dare not produce it so that anyone else can see or hear and that part of it just goes against the grain for me. i dont want to steal anyone's work, but one image will often inspire another. if someone else produced the first piece and i produce some alteration of it, i'm doomed if i try to sell it or show it off even.

i've also seen folks here on retouch put a copyright notice and signature on a rendition in the phogo art area where someone else produced the original. i have to wonder if that's even legal. who owns the altered copy? and to make matters worse, i think the laws in the U.K. (and probably other countries) say something like if you alter it 15% or more, then it's your work, the altered copy. at least, that's what i've heard. dont know for sure. but i doubt that's true in the U.S

even here on retouchpro where we're more or less a peer to peer learning site, doug has taken the conservative side on this, even though the law has stipulations of 'for educational purposes'. but i dont blame doug one bit. someone is always willing to go find a lawyer thinking they can make a buck or 'to protect my properties' or whatever, and i certainly wouldnt want the hassle of fifty lawyers banging on my door every day. even if doug could defend himself in every instance and be found not guilty, the hassle is immense, not to mention the stress.

it at first surprised me when doug took down all the celebrity images here on the site. i'm no lawyer, but i believe we would have been doubly protected there, both on the 'educational' and the 'fair use' or whatever that's called type issues. but again, who wants the hassle and who wants the stress?.

and now someone wants to lease us '.jpg'? lol. i can see the jail cell now.

"what are you in for?"

" i used a .jpg without paying for it."

"oh my god, and they didnt put you put you on death row?"

and that some companies are actually paying this extortion just feeds the greed as far as i'm concerned.

pheh!

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2006, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
that would be like compuserve now trying to charge for anyone using a .gif.
Something like this happened. CompuServe was forced to start putting restriction in GIF because they lost permission from the patent holder for some part of it. I don't remember all the details now, but this is what motivated the development of PNG.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2006, 08:06 PM
Janitor

Perhaps Da Vinci was a bad example to illustrate your point. The man lived in fear of having his ideas stolen, going so far as to invent a backwards code for his journals to protect them.

"Fair use" is widely misunderstood. In practice, it doesn't protect "educational use", but use for commentary and criticism (which doesn't include "inspiration"), and use by educational institutions (of which we ain't one).

The whole "15%" business is one of the most widely-spread myths about copyright law.

And I didn't remove the celebrity images to protect RP, but because allowing them implicitly endorsed breaking the law (and this is a teaching site, even if it isn't an educational institution).

Copyrights, trademarks, patents, likeness rights, etc., do all get abused, but that doesn't make them bad ideas. They all exist to give the rights owner a fair shake at making a buck from their efforts. Without them, no one would make those efforts.

There's an old joke about how a liberal is just a conservative that's never been mugged. In a similar vein, those that fight copyright, etc., have never felt the sting of having those rights stolen.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2006, 10:06 PM
Patron

Don't fret.

Due to prior art issues, Forgent is about to fall. Read this. Yes I subscribe to eWEEK digital magazine (I'm a techie). I think even if it wasn't for this, the US would cause the Patent to be void since they allowed the standard to be open source for so long. If you don't fight for your patent you can loose it. I think that's the jest of the rights of patents.

To add, the Government might even charge them for not disclosing that they knew about the prior art and didn't tell them about it. This is in violation of Patent Law. Sleep calmly tonight.

Edit:

Some kind soul pointed out to be the jest should have been gist. I never said that I was good @ English.

Last edited by lkroll; 05-30-2006 at 08:20 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2006, 11:56 AM

Smile Copyright Myths and Smiley

Regarding copyright issues. Did you know that your e-mail is copyrighted. What about linking to a webpage ---- is that a violation of copyright law?

Here is a page that is devoted to 10 Copyright Myths. Interesting stuff.

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

(I have the author's permission to link to his page)

Also, Walmart wants the rights to the Smiley face

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...i-business-hed

Pete
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software