RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

corel painter question/s

Old 06-20-2006, 12:23 PM

corel painter question/s

hello,
First time trying to use corel painter. I scanned in a simple pencil sketch and I want to watercolor that. Well I had this girls dress all done nice THEN did a save. (Which I know I should have done first.) For some bizzar reason there is now a neat little square missing out of the middle of her dress. Saved this way now!
So... tried to repaint that. BUT every brush stroke is outlined with sort of an erasor effect. No good at all! Tried several brushes. They all are doing this!

Made a new watercolor layer and painted the hole above the layer damaged. Well.... seems paint doesn't have a merge down like Photoshop does. So I cut, and pasted that into the layer with the hole in it. BUT since it is semi transparant watercolor you can still see the outline of the square. I cannot for the life of me find a way to blend that out. If I get a wet sponge, I get a warning "you must use watercolor brushes on a watercolor layer." I DO have a watercolor brush. From the watercolor brushes, I pick a wet sponge but it won't work! AGH! I tried using a fuzzy erasor around the edge of this square hole. This would work great in Photoshop. But again, can't do that here!

After much hair pulling I just deleted the whole mess. Will repaint her dress from scratch.

Started by doing a wash. I'll add detail later. Well now I am trying to use the erasor to clean up the outline of the image where the big fat wash brush went over the lines. Started out just fine. And suddenly, for NO reason I can think of, the erasor has started acting like a square block! It erases nice and smooth, and as soon as I stop, it makes a block chunk!

This is a ROYAL pain to try and learn on my own. Nothing in help to explain this.

Any help here?????
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmaker
hello,
First time trying to use corel painter. I scanned in a simple pencil sketch and I want to watercolor that. Well I had this girls dress all done nice THEN did a save. (Which I know I should have done first.) For some bizzar reason there is now a neat little square missing out of the middle of her dress. Saved this way now!
So... tried to repaint that. BUT every brush stroke is outlined with sort of an erasor effect. No good at all! Tried several brushes. They all are doing this!

Made a new watercolor layer and painted the hole above the layer damaged. Well.... seems paint doesn't have a merge down like Photoshop does. So I cut, and pasted that into the layer with the hole in it. BUT since it is semi transparant watercolor you can still see the outline of the square. I cannot for the life of me find a way to blend that out. If I get a wet sponge, I get a warning "you must use watercolor brushes on a watercolor layer." I DO have a watercolor brush. From the watercolor brushes, I pick a wet sponge but it won't work! AGH! I tried using a fuzzy erasor around the edge of this square hole. This would work great in Photoshop. But again, can't do that here!

After much hair pulling I just deleted the whole mess. Will repaint her dress from scratch.

Started by doing a wash. I'll add detail later. Well now I am trying to use the erasor to clean up the outline of the image where the big fat wash brush went over the lines. Started out just fine. And suddenly, for NO reason I can think of, the erasor has started acting like a square block! It erases nice and smooth, and as soon as I stop, it makes a block chunk!

This is a ROYAL pain to try and learn on my own. Nothing in help to explain this.

Any help here?????
I'm a Painter novice, but here are a couple tidbits that might help...

Painter is notoriously quirky/buggy and can (and does) crash at the most inconvenient times, so get in the habit of entering Ctrl + S frequently. Why this program now at ver 9.5 behaves this way (lack of quality/stability-wise) in 2006 is beyond me. (End of rant.)

Regarding the eraser behavior you describe, I don't know what to tell ya 'cept see previous paragraph.

Regarding learning Painter, another downside is the relatively few (compared to Photoshop) learning resources. There are a few books on using Painter, but none I've seen that actually walk one through "learning to use it."

I had good luck at www.EclecticAcademy.com. Comprehensive, hands-on Internet-based classes for very reasonable fees; the class assignments really help one connect the dots by exploring behind the scenes functionality/settings one would probably not find/look for otherwise. The Painter instructor (Christine) is exceptionally knowledgeable and doesn't make you feel like a dope for asking questions. Starts at Kindergarten and goes from there.

re: Merge down
Correct, no direct menu command to do this...

Painter equivalent...You must:
* Ctrl+click layers you want to merge
* From Layer palette menu choose Group
* From Layer palette menu choose Collapse
...that ought to do it.

Despite its quirkiness, those who know how to use it can create some pretty amazing digital art.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2006, 01:52 PM

HEY thanks. Danny ah? I still have an answer saved you posted AGES ago on a photoshop history brush question. Glad your still here.

The layers group/merge thing makes sense. I'll try that.
As for the erasor glitch, this really has me frusterated. I cannot figure out any reason it suddenly started doing this. Even opened a fresh document and it's still doing it. BUG? Ya think? Or could I have hit some key combination and set some dumb thing? I can't find it that's for sure.

Agh, as cool as this program looks, for what I needed, photoshop did fine. Little simple paint. The watercolor effect would have been nice but not required.

That site is interesting too but I hate to contact someone just to answer a question when they are SELLING class time. I'll let that go.

Jen
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2006, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Glad your still here.
I'm glad I'm anywhere, to tell you the truth!

Quote:
That site is interesting too but I hate to contact someone just to answer a question when they are SELLING class time...
I should have clarified that my recommendation was consider signing for their classes as a more efficient way of learning Painter. Trying to wing it on your own is like trying to learn PS w/o a ordered/structured approach.

IMO Painter is almost as difficult to grasp as Photoshop... and harder if you already know Photoshop. Why? Because one frequently tries to achieve the Photoshop equivalent of [pick an operation, e.g., merge down] and then ends up struggling to figure out how to do it in Painter. ("I know I can do this, but HOW?"

On the Eraser wierd-ness, could be Painter is gasping for RAM. Have you tried it with no other programs running = Painter gets as much RAM as possible?

Glad you got the results you needed in spite of Painter.

djr
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2006, 09:32 AM

HI Danny,

I got it ok, I just can't afford a class right now. Starving artist thing. I keep bidding on freelance work and doing FREE samples to boot. It's hit or miss. Mostly miss lately. Work comes in floods. I'm in a drout!
Besides, if I take a class I have software I really need to learn. Dreamweaver for one! I'm probably the only dynasaur out there who still types an entire website with HTML!
Illustrators many pen tools. I learned on Freehand. Still use that. BUT it's going the way of beta max. sigh. I'm going to have to figure out the array of pen tools in Illustrator some day!
I just got Flash. (Same friend who gave me paint.) High learning curve there boy! Be nice to know.... some day.

Paint isn't THAT hard to grasp. With enough time.
And hey, I DID teach myself photoshop. Oh I had it in college. Version THREE! And on computers that gave you a bomb just by turning photoshop ON. Didn't learn much there. I got what I got off forums like this, books, and a whole lot of trial and error. I actually teach it now!
Paint cant be THAT hard. Differances like group/combine instead of merge down. Irritating but not impossible. Kinda like going from a simple mac to a pc. Extra steps to do the simplest thing. But not impossible.

But this erasor glitch has me baffled. I wonder if trashing preffs would clear it up??? It only started AFTER I saved the file. Hmmm.

Oh and no, I didn't run other programs at the same time. Got a G5 with plenty of power here. Doubt that's it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software