Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:51 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist

Hi Chris,

Go to this link and look under Sharpening at the bottom of the page. If your image is merely soft, many of these plug-ins will help. If there is motion blur, Focus Magic is one of the very few options at present.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2006, 07:03 AM
Originally Posted by Kraellin
my current passion if Filter Forge, which i'm currently helping to beta test. i think a lot of filter makers are going to go out of business when that one goes public.
Craig -- thanks for mentioning Filter Forge! We're preparing the last beta update before the final version, so the end is nigh!

As for plugin makers going out of business, I don't think the situation is that grim -- there are a lot of tools that can do things which are currently impossible in Filter Forge. For example, Shinycore's Pathstyler ( which uses Photoshop's vector paths to create high-quality bevels, tools like AlienSkin's BlowUp or Genuine Fractals that enlarge images, profile-based sharpeners like Nik Sharpener Pro, or scientific tools like those from Oh, and I almost forgot about Buzz plugins from which, in my opinion, are the best tools for converting photos into fine art.

Actually, as Jeff Butterworth once said in his interview, the plugin industry is not competitive -- there's no lock-in factor similar to what you see on the operating system market, and tons of plugins can coexist peacefully on the same machine.

By the way, since the Filter Forge beta is coming to a close, I invite everyone who hasn't tried Filter Forge yet to try the beta while it's free:
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2006, 10:00 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Vladimir, whenever I demonstrate Windows running on an Intel Mac, I use Filter Forge as the show-off app of choice! I showed FF to some plug-in vendors at Photoshop World last week, and they were impressed.

So Mac users, if you have an Intel Mac, be sure to get in on the FF beta testing, even though it is Windows-only at this point.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2006, 01:09 PM
vladimir, if i were a plugin maker, i'd be scared of FF but yes, i can attest to no one plugin being the do-all, end-all of plugins. i have hundreds and i see thousands listed on e-bay.

on the other hand, i've seen some of the testers blow your socks off doing things YOU never thought FF could do...chain link fence, simulated fonts, ken's recent crack remover, some of the organics, and many others. and i also know FF hasnt tapped its full potential yet either, even with over 700 filters for it now.

and you're quite welcome for any mention of FF i might make. it's been well worth being a beta tester and a joy working with you and the other folks at FF. i look forward to all the coming updates and a continued working relationship.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2006, 01:13 AM
Location: At the moment I am in NW Ohio but soon to move to W.Va (can hardly wait)
Post Re: PLUGIN's

I've seen Paint Engine and I downloaded it (big h/d and I like plugins) but I've no clue what this is for. please ?

Originally Posted by I. V. Razmanov
Regarding Mr. Contrast, I'll butt in and say that I much prefer my own plugin from (but yes, it isn't free either)

What as to Impressionist and Paint Engine - these are rare plugins that survived several machine changes and PS reinstalls here :-) I was in contact with Paint Engine developer since very first betas and although he seem to be out of business for at least 10 years now, his wonderful product is still quite useful to me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2006, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sugar
I've seen Paint Engine and I downloaded it (big h/d and I like plugins) but I've no clue what this is for. please ?
Paint Engine makes some weird smudge tricks that often turn photo into something looking like painting. Apparently it may turn pure noise and junk into suitable web page background. Check out the presets that go with filter and you'll see some good examples.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software