RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

PS Soft focus preview question

Old 07-17-2006, 08:52 AM

PS Soft focus preview question

Anyone know why when selecting an image to open in Photoshop, some of the previews of the images are out-of-focus while some are fine.

Thought it might be the size of the various images, but that doesn't seem to matter.

No biggy, but would be nice to see them in focus when selecting.

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Patron

Soft Focus

Steve, most often this is caused by the resolution setting of your display and it is particularly worse with LCD displays. The first problem is that the display resolution should be set to its actual max or some even fraction of the max. Example: if your max display resolution is 1600 x 1200, the display we be sharpest at 1600 x 1200 or 800 x 600, etc. Setting it to 1024 x 768 divides unevenly leaving partial pixels (which is not possible) therefore rounding off which "softens" the focus.
The other effect is the image that you are viewing. Again you have the same effect when you are trying to map an image of one size to a display array of a different size. As you display resolution increases, the "soft focus" effect becomes less noticeable.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2006, 10:36 AM

Steve,

When you say, "some images', it makes me think it could just be that you 'may not have' the image at the right magnification.
If that's the case, it may look "soft', but usually it looks more jagged, to me anyway.
Make sure that you view all of your images in Photoshop at even numbers.
12.5%, 25.%, 50%, 75%, and 100", they'll look best then.
Anything in-between will not look so good.

If this isn't what you mean, just ignore me, but I couldn't tell from what you wrote, I have seen that this was the case in others before.
I hope it helps.

Randy
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2006, 11:05 AM

Thanks for your input Murray.

My max res. is 1280x1024 on a CRT monitor. That is too small, and 640x512 is too large a display. 1024x768 is the resolution I prefer because of sceen object size. This has not been a problem so far, other than some of the previews looking fuzzy. What resolution are you using?

Also this focus thing is not a problem in Paint Shop Pro when using "browse" mode and all the thumbnails are on display. Seems to be only in "file/open" mode with preview on. And in PS in the same mode.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday
Steve, most often this is caused by the resolution setting of your display and it is particularly worse with LCD displays. The first problem is that the display resolution should be set to its actual max or some even fraction of the max. Example: if your max display resolution is 1600 x 1200, the display we be sharpest at 1600 x 1200 or 800 x 600, etc. Setting it to 1024 x 768 divides unevenly leaving partial pixels (which is not possible) therefore rounding off which "softens" the focus.
The other effect is the image that you are viewing. Again you have the same effect when you are trying to map an image of one size to a display array of a different size. As you display resolution increases, the "soft focus" effect becomes less noticeable.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2006, 01:47 PM

just a quick thought here, steve. next time you open that thing, notice if the file type is all the same on the ones that are fuzzy/blurred. if not, then fine; it's something else.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2006, 03:43 PM

This sounds a bit more logical, since I have no trouble with thumbs and some of the preview images are fine.

Let me do some checking and see if I can help my situation using your ideas.

Many thanks.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by recrisp
Steve,

When you say, "some images', it makes me think it could just be that you 'may not have' the image at the right magnification.
If that's the case, it may look "soft', but usually it looks more jagged, to me anyway.
Make sure that you view all of your images in Photoshop at even numbers.
12.5%, 25.%, 50%, 75%, and 100", they'll look best then.
Anything in-between will not look so good.

If this isn't what you mean, just ignore me, but I couldn't tell from what you wrote, I have seen that this was the case in others before.
I hope it helps.

Randy
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2006, 03:46 PM

Mostly jpegs, but also other formats...and sizes. They also vary in resolution too, so that could make a difference.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
just a quick thought here, steve. next time you open that thing, notice if the file type is all the same on the ones that are fuzzy/blurred. if not, then fine; it's something else.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2006, 03:59 PM

Upon further review...it seems that the images worked on or otherwise saved in PS look fine in preview. Those worked on or saved in Paint Shop Pro are the fuzzy ones when previewed in PS. All are saved in the same folder.

Interesting, because they all open normally and look normal when opened in either program.

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2006, 08:53 AM

steve,

ok, that makes sense. i noticed a while back that some of the file formats between ps cs2 and psp 10 arent transferring exactly correctly either. i forget which ones were doing it now, but either ps cs2 goofed something up there or corel did, i think. if i remember correctly the .psd files from photoshop no longer always transfer into psp 10 without some sort of glitch. so it doesnt surprise me too much that you're getting what you're getting on the thumbs.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2006, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Conway
Upon further review...it seems that the images worked on or otherwise saved in PS look fine in preview. Those worked on or saved in Paint Shop Pro are the fuzzy ones when previewed in PS.
Steve
This sort of makes sence. PSD files may contain built-in preview and I'm not so sure if PSP will implant correct preview in it, so probably the preview you get from files saved in PSP comes from ver. 2.5 flattened copy or something like this. Obviously, I don't know about PSP internals, but it could be the source of the problem. One among others, I mean ;-)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software