RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Impressionist problem.

Old 07-28-2006, 02:16 AM

Impressionist problem.

Hi everybody. I downloaded the "Impressionist" plug-in for PS Elements 4 and I am impressed with this program. However I am not able to save the "styles". I get the dialog box when I try to save, but cannot find the saved style afterwards. Any ideas what is wrong?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2006, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celter
Hi everybody. I downloaded the "Impressionist" plug-in for PS Elements 4 and I am impressed with this program. However I am not able to save the "styles". I get the dialog box when I try to save, but cannot find the saved style afterwards. Any ideas what is wrong?
Welcome, celter...

Try these entries in the Save Style dialog:
* Category name: #My settings [include the leading "#" character]
* Variant name: xxx [whatever you like]
* File name: #My settings.set [same as Category name]

The leading # in the Category name will cause your custom styles to show up at the top of the dropdown menu.

Keeping the Category name and File name the same makes it easy to correlate the two, as it's highly likely as time goes on you will end up creating various categories of your own custom settings. Keeping them in separate .set files makes it easy to e-mail or upload a given set.

Let me know how it goes.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2006, 01:35 AM

Thanks! New problem !

Thank you Danny. I didn't know that I needed to put .set after the filename. Now it works.
I have also tried to load some of you guys settings, with the .set folder in the "impressionist accessories" folder. However when I try to use one of these styles I get the following message: "An image required by the current style could not be loaded". Obviously I have done something wrong, but what? I have followed the instructions for installing the files.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2006, 10:50 AM

Nope... you've done nothing wrong. Just "not so good" packaging on some well-intended member donated custom settings.

It's a long story so take a look at the 2nd post in this thread...

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-art-resources/9224-impressionist-plugin-troubleshooting.html

...which is the most likely cause.

=================

Regarding the inclusion (manual typing) of ".set" in the Save dialog...

I don't believe that's a requirement. If you leave off ".set," it's appended automatically. If .set is missing from a file within \User Settings, it's definitely an issue.

Onward and upward. Keep me posted as you make progress.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2006, 03:16 AM

I have the brushes. I get a message like: "mark5B.tif" An image required by the current style could not be loaded.But when I look in the "brushes" folder. Mark5B.tif is there. I can even load it into the custom brushes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2006, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I have the brushes. I get a message like: "mark5B.tif" An image required by the current style could not be loaded.But when I look in the "brushes" folder. Mark5B.tif is there. I can even load it into the custom brushes.
OK...Your additional info helps.

The workaround/resolution to this symptom can also be found in the above thread, which I just reorganized to make it easier to use by numbering the error message symptoms. See #2, which used to be #7.

Turns out the same error message is displayed when a brush file is missing or the number of .tif files in \Brushes exceeds the number Impressionist is able to find. (Sorry, I don't know the specific number at the moment.)

Try shutting down PSE and moving a bunch of .tif files out of \Brushes into another folder. Startup PSE again and see if you're able to apply the style giving you problems.

If this doesn't help, let me know.

~Danny~

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 07-30-2006 at 07:17 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2006, 11:28 PM

I have now moved a lot of the brushes to another folder, but the problem is the same. Even after shutting down PSE, deleating the cache and restarting PSE.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2006, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I have now moved a lot of the brushes to another folder, but the problem is the same. Even after shutting down PSE, deleating the cache and restarting PSE.
Open \Brushes, Edit > Select all. How many brushes are in the folder? (The number should be at the bottom of the window.) If more than about 300 or so, move some more out and try it again.

From which .set file (file name) are you having this problem?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2006, 08:08 PM

To clarify the wording my my previous request:
* What is the name of the .set file?
* If you did not download it from RetouchPRO, post a link to its source
* What is the name of the specific custom style you're trying to get to work?

Perhaps I can recreate the problem on my machine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2006, 09:54 AM

The number of brushes is 221. The custom styles I try to import is yours Danny !
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software