RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Pictures in XP

Old 02-23-2002, 03:18 AM

I was just wondering how you guys feel about xp photo viewing by now?
I still don't like the cartoonish features that take up so much space on the screen of the xp picture prog...
I ran across something saying I could change to screen to look like previous computer but I am forcing myself to stick with it and hope I get used to it. I re-downloaded irfanview to this new computer (hp pavilion mx70) because I had an older picture file on disk that the new xp picture viewer wouldn't open...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2002, 04:04 AM

Jill,

Which file format did XP reject ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2002, 09:16 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Jill,

Like you, I was little impressed with the look of XP but I decided to stick with it. Now I am getting more comfortable with it, and I'm beginning to like it more and more. It's just a matter of getting used to something different. As per photo viewing in XP, I normally don't use anything but Photoshop, but I think I'm probably missing the boat with some of the new features. I'll have to check that out a little further. I consider the "Dummies" book a must have.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2002, 04:01 AM

Chris...I just went thru my photos I have saved on cd and most of them wouldn't open! They have jpg, JPEG,Tiff as file types...I even tried irfanview, and with photoshop,and the picture viewer that came with xp, I get this error message from each (Can't read file header -unknown file format-can't read file header ) and I also get this message...( could not open doc because a jpeg marker segment length is to short , the file may be trucant or incomplete) I tried these cd's on my win 98 in the other room just now and they open fine...ergh I will have to get online with the xp help line again tomorrow, not right now...to frustrated!
Thinking out loud...I haven't transfered the file from my old pc to the new pc thru the networking deal...have to read up on that, maybe that will solve this file format issue...any ideas appreciated.
Ed, I think a shopping trip for that book for dummies is in order asap! Thanks for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2002, 09:20 AM

Jill
Had the same problem trying to open using my hp-cd-wryter drive. I tried again this time I used the second drive (DVD) on my computer, it read all the files on the cd's and I was able to open up my images.

If you have a second drive try to use it to open and read the cd's

George
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2002, 04:44 PM

George,
Thank you so much!!!!!
I had to install a second cd player (needed to anyway) but that did the trick!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2002, 05:04 PM

Jill,

Glad you've got access to your images but the problem is a new one to me. All the file formats you mention are standard stuff. What type is the cd drive that won't read ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2002, 06:11 PM

Chris, The cd burner is a plextor plex writer 8/4/32a and I don't know if that is what you mean...I put it in 2 years ago...weird huh?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2002, 10:07 AM

Chris

I have found through experience that when you burn a CD, that CD is usually readable on any other CD reader, but often will not be readable on a CD Writer/Reader other than the one that you used to burn it.

I have a number of CD's with photo files that I burned using the writer on my windows 98SE machine. Those CD's can be read on all CD readers that I have tried, but I can not read them on the CD Writer/reader on my new XP machine.

I took those same CD's over to some friends computers and was able to read all of them on their CD readers, but their CD writer/readers all gave me errors on all the CD's and I could not open the files.

Do not know why.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software