RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Auto White Balance Plugin for JPEGs is "almost" ready

Old 08-11-2006, 10:54 AM

Auto White Balance Plugin for JPEGs is "almost" ready

Hi all,

I nearly finished beta testing (thanks to member recrisp (Randy)) an Auto white balance filter for JPEGs. You can all download this limited version of the Auto White Balance beta Filter to tell me your expert opinions.

Thanks Randy for the beta testing and your research.

P.S. Don't be gentle... I need to make it as good as possible.

Thanks in advance for your time
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2006, 03:32 AM

Nobody tried it?

Nobody tried my filter? Or is it so bad that you don't even bother giving a feedback? I need your feedback (even if it's negative). Me and Randy (recrisp member) did a hell of a job and we need to know if it is in vain or not.

Waiting for your feedback
John
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2006, 09:23 AM

It seems to start in the correct direction which is pretty impressive, but doesn't usually go far enough. I compared it using a variety of messed up images. Sometimes autocolor would do better, sometimes worse. But a better result was always achieved using the eyedroppers in curves/levels.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2006, 09:33 AM

Looks like it's for PC's and I'm on a Mac. BTW, when I clicked on the link, it did not go to a web site or download a file. It just showed me a bunch of code.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2006, 11:22 PM

I got diagonal black lines on the right side, it only seems to correct where the lines were. Is this on purpose?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2006, 11:39 PM

I downloaded and tried your filter. Although I have only tried it on one image so far I was pretty impressed with the results. I was even more impressed when, try as I may, I couldn't replicate them with the eyedropper tools. That was until I realised your filter (in its test form) is only white balancing half of the image. So I masked off the same half of the image, used the eyedroppers and I got similiar results. Levels on part of the image will produce vastly different results from levels on the whole image because you are only taking half of the values into consideration. So, in this form, it is going to be difficult to give it a proper evaluation.

Sincerely Syd
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2006, 03:20 AM

roger_ele,

This is a beta version and it only fixes half the image and draws some diagonal lines. The full version will be available soon (I have to "lock" the filter to prevent the spread). I intend to sell the filter. Whoever will help will get the filter for free (Randy "recrisp member" already earned it and will be the first one to get it).

John
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2006, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd
I downloaded and tried your filter. Although I have only tried it on one image so far I was pretty impressed with the results. I was even more impressed when, try as I may, I couldn't replicate them with the eyedropper tools. That was until I realised your filter (in its test form) is only white balancing half of the image. So I masked off the same half of the image, used the eyedroppers and I got similiar results. Levels on part of the image will produce vastly different results from levels on the whole image because you are only taking half of the values into consideration. So, in this form, it is going to be difficult to give it a proper evaluation.

Sincerely Syd
Syd,

Unfortunatelly the beta version has to work this way. Eyedroppers have many disadvantages: Most of the time you try to find a "real" black, middle grey or a white point in the image... only to find out that there is no perfect one. Even if you have a grey-card in your image you will almost never get perfect results because the reflected light that reaches the card has a color (e.g. a grey-card that receives light reflected on a tree should be greenish etc). This filter was made for people who do not have time (or the skills) to color-correct their photos. I hope I will make it even better (though I think it's better that any firmware's sophisticated auto white balance) and make the life of the professionals easier.

John
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2006, 11:07 AM

Pretty cool plug-in it works as well in PSP X as my Adobe products. Tested it on 8 or 9 (already processed) images in PSP X and on most the adjustments were subtle but impressive. On the few photo's that weren't processed the plug-in was quite impressive.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2006, 11:15 AM

Okay, I have tried some more images and I have to say it really is pretty good. On each image it did a better job than Auto Color. Granted I only ran it on five images, so statistically it is not at all significant, but it is a good start. I don't pretend for a minute to understand how the code behind Auto Color works in Photoshop so, in layman's terms, how would you explain the difference between your filter and Auto Color. Specifically why does it produce better results. (Without giving away any trade secrets of course).
I think you have done a great job.

Sincerely Syd
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software