RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Windows XP

Old 01-12-2002, 08:42 PM

Ed

From what I have been able to determine it will restore the files necessary to run XP, that is drivers, DLL's and etc. It will not restore image files, data files and etc. That was why I was trying to get GoBack loaded so I could restore those type of files if needed. Now I will just have to be more careful.

The system restore is a grest feature, sure can save you a lot of time, by restoring to a known working configuration. It automatically marks good configurations but like you pointed out it would be a wise move to mark your own starting point before loading new software, hardware, or updates.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2002, 09:15 PM

Hooray!!! Some how XP must have squirreled those files away in a file called Found 000. Don't know how or why but all I know is I recovered all those erased files. Can't even say if it has it's own "snapshot" recovery but I did notice in those files listed, besides my missing photo files, there were registry files and some called snapshot was among several of them. Who knows, who cares, I am just tickled pink. It was purely accidental that I happened to stumble accross them. Just thought I would let you all know because I had mentioned loosing them in my earlier posts.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2002, 12:53 PM

Wow! That's GREAT news DJ!! I'm about ready to go out a buy XP. My machine is acting more and more strange and I cannot afford to lose any info I've got on here right now. (Well, I don't think I could ever afford to lose info, but right now is an especially critical time.) I backed up my system last night, but am still freaking out with the strange happenings going on in my computer. Not that I have time to do a clean install right now, but I guess it's better to take time to do it now than lose everything when I least expect it!
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2002, 01:10 PM

Had to use the system restore. I downloaded some updates from Microsoft windows site for XP, one being a update for HP ScanJet scanners. I did this a few days ago and every program I used open the generic window for the scanjet and I could not shut them down.

Used the system restore to go back to a time prior to that and it reloaded to that time, restarted and every thing back working normally. As expected it also reverted a softwarte program I had installed to an earlier version. I had to reinstalled the update for that program, otherwise everything worked normally.

Once I get everything running the way I want, I will mark my own restore point, that way I will know the configuration if I want to restore.

If anyone else is going to down load the new updated HP ScanJet driver from the windows update page for XP, you might want to create a restore point, in case you have a similiar problem with the update you can go back to a configuration you know.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2002, 01:19 PM

Jeanie
I know how you feel about the clean install especially when you have alot of stuff on your PC. We had to reinstall everything after reinstalling XP and that's not an easy task.
I was thrilled to find all those files. We were so sure they got deleted for being corupt. I think I need to get myself a dummies book like Ed suggested so I can better understand what happens to things when they go wrong. I am so computer illiterate when it comes to the inner workings. I just like to do my thing with no problems and that's that. Anything goes wrong and I'm lost. Lucky I have a live in fix it man but I notice even he gets stumped sometimes. There is just so many things that can go wrong and usually do. Then it's like finding a needle in a hay stack trying to locate the problem.

George
Good advice, thanks. Guess we're not the only ones learning the ins and outs of XP. However, I have to say it's still a big improvement over earlier additions.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2002, 09:41 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I'm really glad for you Debbie. That's great. According to what I've read, XP will create a restore point each day automatically. I'm going to keep track of any software or hardware I add (and the date) on a piece of paper. I'm also noting each and every day whether or not *anything* seems a little off kilter. This should only take a minute each day, and it could prove handy some time.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2002, 09:48 PM

You haven't even gotten your machine with XP Ed and you're putting me to shame. I am really going to have to follow your lead and get a good ref book. Should have done that from the beginning.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2002, 04:43 AM

I've been on XP pro since November and haven't rebooted since.
I spent quite a bit of time configuring it to stop most of the unnecessary services from running and chewing up memory.
Can't praise it enough. After battling with 98SE for so long and running out of resources continuously, I can run PS6, IE6, Outlook, Flash, Dreamweaver, ICQ, and my scanner without it even batting an eyelid. Got to love that W2K kernel.

One piece of advice after searching through countless XP forums, don't upgrade.......do a clean install.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2002, 09:55 AM

Dolby
Can you explain what unnecessary services you disconnected to free up memory? May want to do that myself.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2002, 07:17 PM

OK.

Click the start button.
Select run from the bottom of the right column.
Then type "services.msc" in the box and click ok.
Once the services window has loaded you are ready to turn off unneeded services.
To change the whether the service is running etc, right click on it and select properties.

The best reference I have found for which services to run is

http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Good luck!!!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software