RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Windows XP

Old 01-12-2002, 08:11 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Windows XP

I thought this might be a good place for you to add any interesting tidbits about XP since it's becoming more popular. Maybe you've found something that won't be easily noticed by others? Disclaimer: I have a new computer coming with XP, so the little goodies (or quirks) that come with it would be of interest to me. My current computer has been giving me headaches by freezing up, and just acting weird for some time. So I finally gave in.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2002, 11:57 AM

Just one tidbit to share. I can't say why this happened but when Dave was installing some hardware upgrades such as another hard drive, CD rewriter and ram, we got a warning from Windows XP that there were some corupt files. It commensed to erase them of it's own accord. That turned out to be all my Photoshop work and several client photo files. Big mistake not backing them up first and totally my fault for the loss. But it happened and I can't even say why but just make sure you back up first before doing any upgrades. Other than that problem and who knows why it even occured but all has been fine and things have been running smoothly. Good luck and let us know how your new machine works out for you. You know we love those new toys.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2002, 12:04 PM

DJ - what a nightmare losing all those files. I dread it and am happy to say that one of the items winging its way up from SA is a CD writer, which will be put into hard labour immediately it arrives! Seems like a good way of archiving one's files.

Sorry, Ed - I don't have anything to say about XP. Just thought I'd butt in there.

Carry on ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2002, 12:39 PM

I like XP so far. The one thing I would note here is that if you have any particular program or hardware device you like, say a digital camera, you may want to make sure that it is compatible before switching to XP. Pretty much most hardware/software vendors have added XP drivers and patches to their web sites, but not all... and some are just now developing drivers and patches for XP. This is something to think about. The XP home page has a site that lists what hardware, software etc. is compatible with XP. Typically most companies have updated XP drivers, but you may own the one that doesn’t.

-T

Windows Catalog
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2002, 12:47 PM

I have only been using it for 5 days now, my old computer crashed and I had to get a new one, it came with XP. I thought that I would not like it, been using 98SE for so long. After a few days I now like it better than 98SE. I really like the XP My Pictures program. Another feature I really like is that if a program your running crashes or locks up, it only affects that program, XP will close out that program and the computer continues to operate normally, no need for reboots. It also has a built in recovery and restore system to take you back to the last good working configuration if every needed. I have ordered a few books to help me become more familiar with the operation system, will let you know if I find any extra or interesting functions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2002, 01:27 PM

I concur with everything said so far, it was the easiest OS install I've ever done and its been running smoothly since with not one GPF. I used to reckon a couple of weeks to get a new OS running smoothly but not with XP.
I've deliberately tried to crash it with one or two progs known to bring 98 down in flames but to no avail. The integral cd burning software is handy for quick backups. No complaints apart from the cartoon style 'skin' but thats easily changed. I've installed several programs not specifically intended for XP but apart from a 'proceed at your peril' warning they've run fine and by now there seems to be XP patches for most things.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2002, 05:52 PM

Just a couple of tips from the "Dummies" book:

Before you add new software or hardware, go to "System Restore" and make a restore point (snapshot). Then do your thing. If there's a problem, you can revert back to just before installation.

Do you have an older program that doesn't want to co-operate with XP? Right click on it's icon, select "properties", click "compatibility" tab. A list of previous Windows versions will pop up. Select the proper version from the list. You might be able to fool the program into thinking it's working under that version of Windows.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2002, 06:00 PM

Ed

Thanks good information to know. Each day I get a little more familiar with XP.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2002, 07:02 PM

Wish I'd known that before the disaster. Thanks Ed. Very valuable info.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2002, 08:06 PM

Debbie,

I'm not sure if that would help with the photo files or not. It might only revert the necessary files to run properly. That would be good to find out.

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software