RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Could this be the easiest way?

Old 08-15-2006, 05:13 PM

Could this be the easiest way?

Hi!

Thank you for checking on this little request.

I recently went to see a movie (No need to know the name) and I was reading in the credits that they have a digital painter.

Is this digital painter in charge of the overall look of the film? I always wonder is this person, digital painter, also has something to do with the way the posters or billboards of the movie achive the last and final result.

Anyone know of this? Just curious about it.

I would like to ask if anyone would be kind enough to provide a link or a tutorial for this I will appreciate it. I would like to achive the dark and low light effect in a picture.

Here is my attempt though I am not sure if it is the easiest or the right way to approch it I will appreciate any comments or suggestions. This is a very simple thing to do but like I said there could be a million ways to do it differently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg examplen.jpg (99.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg original.jpg (24.6 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2006, 05:49 PM

Digital Painter could mean just anything and without knowing what movie you are referring to its impossible to know what kind of effect they used on that particular movies posters and such.

Post a picture from the movie so we get an idea what you are aiming at.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2006, 09:36 PM

Hey I basically have two questions in one...

I guess I did not express myself well... did I?

The first question was about the digital painter... I was just wondering what they do. Do they paint over the images or do they create a mood or feel for the final result? I am just curious about that. In this movie they used different colors for different shots. I always thought that they used some kind of filter when shooting... Oh me... and my ignorance... what can I do abou it? ;-)

In my second question, I was just wondering how to achive that effect of darkness around the object or the hightlights on the obect itself. I don't know what you call this effect but I am sure it has a name.
I never realized that this effect can be achieve with simple easy steps but I guess there is more than one... Maybe there is more to it than just painting or using layers. That's what I would like to know. Is there a simple technique for it? Is this the only way you could do it? Maybe my technique is not the right one? Thank you for clarifying Pellepiano... I checked your gallery man that is nice!! by the way Pellepiano... I read in your website that you like flash... well the effect that I am trying to achive I think is used with flash... If you want to see the effect I can post the link but you still have to do some clicking after you get there because like I said flash is used and there is no direct link. Let me know if you want it though.

Take care you guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg example2.jpg (99.7 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2006, 03:30 AM

digital painter, as my understanding is...are the guys that do the CG...usually adding extra helicopters, or trees, or cars, or people to backgrounds.

as far as the image you are working on....are you looking for how to create a vignette?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2006, 09:51 PM
Janitor

Check out the King Kong disc 2 DVD, it has little segments about each step of the digital moviemaking process (they're also available online at the official movie website, but at very low rez). As I recall they spend 10 minutes on digital painters.

Here's the link (they're posted in reverse order, start at the bottom, look specially at "16 weeks to go" and "12 weeks to go"):
http://www.kongisking.net/kong2005/proddiary/
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2006, 04:14 PM

Thanx Doug

Hey thank you for the link!

I definetely saw a different picture of the digital imaging now. I never got interested in seeing special features but now I think I enjoy them.

Regarding my previous post, Is this what you call a vignette?

http://www.retouchpro.com/challenges.../cat/638/page/

I keep wondering... though I am not sure it that is what is called.

Basically, I want to have the subject sorrounded by darknes and only the face face lit. From what I understand a vignette is more like a circle around the object. Is this true?!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2006, 04:54 PM

Vignetting can be one of many shapes, but generally it is recognized by the corners of a image being darker than the middle, due to shortcomings of the lens on the camera. Nowadays vignetting is much a part of postproduction and is used in many creative ways.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software