RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Searching for streaming video recorder

Old 08-19-2006, 09:36 AM

Searching for streaming video recorder

Does anyone know where I can get a streaming video recorder that will record videos, (with audio), of webcams? I use it to record members of the family who are on vacation where there are webcams.

I have a freebie now that does record from webcams directly or from Windows Media Player, but it leaves a lot to be desired. Video is not as sharp as wanted and it's slow.

All suggestions appreciated, from freebies to affordable shareware etc.

Thanks all.

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2006, 02:56 PM

steve,

if you are viewing streaming video on your computer, whether it's coming from a web cam or some other video source, the file is already saved on your computer and any appropriate viewer, including windows media player, quicktime, and realplayer shld work. the trick is, windows tends to hide these files. you shld be able to find them on your c: (or system drive if c: isnt your windows drive), c:\documents and settings\[your login account]\local settings\temporary internet files . since these are temporary files you'll want to right click on the file you want and copy it and then paste it to another location.

if that doesnt work, i know windows media player allows you to save files just viewed, at least the ones it can play. dont know about quicktime and realplayer. and i forget if Nero can do this also or not.

windows saves everything it pulls off the web in these temp internet files as a cache. so, if you've viewed it, windows has saved it. just remember, those files are in temporary locations that get wiped based on your options settings in your browser.

if you're viewing web cams from your own web cam, i'm not really sure how it works, but i'm guessing windows also saves these similarly. i just cant verify it not having ever run a web cam.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2006, 04:53 PM

Hey! Good idea going to the temp internet files. Never thought about that.

That sounds like the best bet. There are some programs out there, but as I said they don't give much quality. Saving stills is no problem and those are pretty good quality.

Let me see if this works for me.

Thanks much.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
steve,

if you are viewing streaming video on your computer, whether it's coming from a web cam or some other video source, the file is already saved on your computer and any appropriate viewer, including windows media player, quicktime, and realplayer shld work. the trick is, windows tends to hide these files. you shld be able to find them on your c: (or system drive if c: isnt your windows drive), c:\documents and settings\[your login account]\local settings\temporary internet files . since these are temporary files you'll want to right click on the file you want and copy it and then paste it to another location.

if that doesnt work, i know windows media player allows you to save files just viewed, at least the ones it can play. dont know about quicktime and realplayer. and i forget if Nero can do this also or not.

windows saves everything it pulls off the web in these temp internet files as a cache. so, if you've viewed it, windows has saved it. just remember, those files are in temporary locations that get wiped based on your options settings in your browser.

if you're viewing web cams from your own web cam, i'm not really sure how it works, but i'm guessing windows also saves these similarly. i just cant verify it not having ever run a web cam.

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software