RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

ICM files

Old 08-21-2006, 02:22 PM

ICM files

Am I correct in assuming that an ICM file created for a specific monitor will be accurate no matter what video card is used with that ICM file and monitor?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2006, 03:44 PM

I would say no! I've seen video card changes alter the look of a monitor slightly. Beyond that, if you're on a CRT monitor, the ICM file is probably only good for a week or two. LCD profiles usually last longer, maybe 2-4 weeks.

This is if you're in a color managed workflow and want to count on your display color.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2006, 12:48 AM

hehe I would say YES! for example when DVI is used the color information is consistent cause theres no room for analog-signal abnormalities. all thats beeing send are numbers so to speak and numbers are universal mathmatics. uhm at least thats what i think
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2006, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limaze
hehe I would say YES! for example when DVI is used the color information is consistent cause theres no room for analog-signal abnormalities. all thats beeing send are numbers so to speak and numbers are universal mathmatics. uhm at least thats what i think
You are in for surprises I guess. :-) Do you really think, that you pay $600 for a device that sends just "numbers" over to DVI cable?!?

There is much more to it.

Answering to the original question: No, it will not only change with different card, but even a different video card driver version may render slightly different result. Said that, your monitor profile has more room for inconsistency then anything else.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2006, 11:47 AM

KVK i really cant imagine that a picture created in photoshop with certain color values (for example all RED), is beeing manipulated by the graphic cards driver in a way that results in different color values beeing send through the DVI. what i do can imagine are differences in renderings, where the graphic card itself first creates the image. but not images whose color values are already existent and explicitly given by the user.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2006, 01:04 PM

Quote:
KVK i really cant imagine that a picture created in photoshop with certain color values (for example all RED), is beeing manipulated by the graphic cards driver in a way that results in different color values beeing send through the DVI. what i do can imagine are differences in renderings, where the graphic card itself first creates the image. but not images whose color values are already existent and explicitly given by the user.
Well, that is a simple to test, isn't it? Just connect one monitor to two different computers (one-by-one) and see for yourself. If you have a spectrocolorimeter handy, use it to take the measurement. If you don't, use your calibrator to create profiles on both computers with the same monitor and run icc profile analyzer. Seeing is believing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2006, 01:14 PM

Quote:
There, read it

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=00CjSN
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2006, 01:25 PM

why a graphic card should manipulate given (fixed) RGB numbers and send those changed values through a digital connector is beyond my imagination. the link you offer is just the speaking of two guys like you and me, no experts opinion either

maybe the (if there are any) differences that graphic cards may introduce in a fixed set of color values are resulting from analog signal treatment. those "artifacts" wont show up in DVI, thats why i think analog/digital is a very important distinction.

but who knows.... i guess we should ask byRo, he knows everything about the technical side of things
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
... i guess we should ask byRo, he knows everything about the technical side of things ....
Thanks for the compliment but, unfortunately, (excuse the pun) colour management is still a huge grey area to me.

However, if my logic doesn't fail me:

The ICM is converting fixed digital information form your imaging software to the required corresponding image viewed on the monitor.
1) In the analogue world, there are two non-linear steps to perform: the D/A conversion of the video card, the analogue signal to output image on the monitor. Adding in any possible distortion caused by the cable and connectors between these two, we get the whole process covered by the ICM. Of these three factors listed I would assume that the principal is the actual "monitor" part and the rest should be less significant. That said, I would imagine that changing the video card should have some effect - but probably not much*.

2) In the digital world, all of the non-linear conversions take place inside the monitor. Thus there is only one factor, instead of three, and this is not dependant on the video card. So by my logic (and not by actual real knowledge) I would say that the ICM profile should work perfectly.
*if you are working in a colour-critical situation (as you probably are) then "not much" should be interpreted as "definitely need to recalibrate".

Like I said, I an no expert here - please correct if wrong, OK?

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software