RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Corel Paint Shop Pro XI announced

Old 09-16-2006, 10:22 AM

Doesn't seem like Corel is trying to do much with PSP that will make a person buy it instead of another graphics program in the same price range.

I think all they did when they bought it was put their name on it.

Looks also like they are shooting for the digital photographer market rather than the general photo graphics folks, hence "photo" now included in the name.

Well, let us know if you find that it will do some things you have not looked at yet.

Sorry you are the Guinea pig on this.

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2006, 11:54 AM

Personally, I feel, Paint Shop Pro was a great program for the money until Corel bought it. I do not think it has actually improved since Corel bought it..it has only degraded..but again for $59 it probably is still a good deal. I still recommend version 9.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2006, 10:51 PM

ok, so far you've seen my mistakes in running psp xi and one no so glowing report. so, let's not jump to the conclusion here that psp xi is all crap, all bad. it's not. the new photo effects are pretty cool. the skin smoothing filter works well. and the new image effects are also pretty good. and i've still not explored everything.

the attached image is using skin smoothing, the image effect, page curl, the new time machine and 'film and filters'. this is all psp xi.

i'd recommend installing X, steve. corel may have done more than you think.
i do agree they seem to be going more towards the photo crowd.

craig

edit: oh, the original image was posted by Pavel123 in th portrait art forum and he got it off stock.xchng.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg girl_crop-1-k-1.jpg (97.2 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2006, 11:46 AM

Re: Corel Paint Shop Pro XI announced

I ordered and received the boxed version of PSP XI. I'm having a problem with heavy CPU usage which seems to go beyond the initial loading of the new database which has been incorporated in PSP XI to organize the picture files on the computer.

As I understand it from Corel, while PSP is creating the database, there will be heavy CPU usage after which usage levels should return to normal levels. I do not know how long PSP is supposed to take in creating this database and I can get no answer from Corel. But even after having PSP run for 4-5 hours, my CPU usage is 50%! Now, the really interesting thing is that while I am using any function within the program, the usage level DROPS to normal levels. It is only when the program is quiescent that the CPU usage is at 50%. This is the case even when the program is minimized and sitting in the task bar. PSP X does not have this problem. Other than this issue, PSP XI seems to be doing what it is supposed to do.

I was worried when Corel bought PSP from JASC that this would happen. I've been using PSP for years and never even thought of using Photoshop, but if this keeps up, a change may be in the offing. I hope Corel starts taking PSP seriously soon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2006, 01:53 PM

seekerdude, welcome to RP.

odd. i had the heavy usage also but it went away when the database was completed. how much ram do you have in your machne? that really shldnt make a difference, though, not for getting 50% cpu use when idle and then almost 0% when active.

as for how long the database creation takes, that would be dependent on how many picture files you have on your harddrive, how many partitions and so on.

sounds like some tsr (terminate and stay resident) type part of psp is active on your system...

ok, i just checked mine also. when inactive, like yours, i get 100% cpu use reported in task manager, and like you, when i run a filter or something else, it drops to 0%. sounds like a bug to me. the thing is, it doesnt ACT like it's using 100% cpu. this sounds like some sort of reporting error to me and not an actual 100% cpu thing... like it's an inverted report, backwards. i cant be absolutely sure, but it ACTS like an inversion, not an actual thing.

i'd report it to Corel and see what they say or check their faqs section and see if anyone else has reported this.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2006, 03:30 PM

Thanks for the welcome and the reply.

Actually, Task Mgr reports 50% usage on my machine.... a P4 2.8Ghz Dell with 1 gig of ram and a high power video card (can't remember which one). It is seemingly reverse, as you say. While sitting idle in the task bar, task mgr reports 50% usage for this process, but while in use, usage is normal. And this 50% usage is definitely impacting my machine for other tasks as it runs sluggish under these conditions. Corel knows no more about it than they have reported concerning the slowness of the database loading.... which does not seem to be the issue here. I described the problem exactly over the course of 3 emails with their support dept and all I got was essentially 'we don't know anything more and we're working on it.' I have some doubt they really understood me based on the lack of a decent reply from them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2006, 04:07 PM

seeker,

hehe, tech support e-mail is notorious for being somewhat ambiguous. but i'll bet we see a patch for xi in not too long a time. i'm sure they're aware of it.

and no, it's not the database thing, unless they forgot to turn the updater for it off. mine was quite a remarkable change from when it first started doing the database update to when it finished. i couldnt even use psp when it first started. it wasnt until it was done that it returned to 'normal'. seems normal may not be normal now, though.

just nag them once in a while about this issue. i'm sure they'll find and fix it. they actually are pretty good at fixing the main bugs.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2007, 07:54 PM

CPU Issue Resolved

Hi everyone. I've had the CPU issue with Paint Shop Pro since it came on the market. Today, I finally found out what was causing it.

If you have short cuts in your Start Menu to drives, it appears that Paint Shop Pro is getting itself into an infinate loop by finding your drive first, then finding the start menu, then finding the drive again, etc etc.

This is clearly a bug, but as a work around try removing short cuts to your drives from your Start Menu and then restart Paint Shop Pro XI.

This problem also affects other gallery type software, such as that included with some Hewlett Packard printers (in fact this is how I stumbled across this).

I've written to Corel about this, and have done in the past (they replied with a blank look on their faces!).

I know this thread is a bit old but it pops up in Google so I hope this helps some people.

Kindest regards

Mark
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2007, 09:27 PM

westguard, welcome to RP.

and thank you for posting this. however, i'm a little confused. do you mean your windows start menu? that's the only start menu i know of and i dont know why anyone would put their drives in their start menu. nor would i think psp would need to look at your start menu. so, i'm a little confused here. are you, perhaps, talking about the browser menu within psp?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2007, 09:48 PM

Hi Craig

Yes indeed I do mean the Windows Start menu. Let me give you an example of how this is found in a file structure, I'll run through each directory as PSP would find them in turn and you will see how the loop occurs:

c:\
c:\documents and settings
c:\documents and settings
c:\documents and settings\mark
c:\documents and settings\mark\start menu
c:\documents and settings\mark\start menu\drives
c:\documents and settings\mark\start menu\drives\c
c:\documents and settings\mark\start menu\drives\c\documents and settings
etc etc

I agree most people don't have short cuts to drives in their Start Menu, but Vista in particular offers the option to show drives on the start menu. When I removed this shortcut (it is just a shortcut to 'My Computer') Paint Shop Pro no longer sat there consuming 50% of CPU usage. There may well be short cuts elsewhere causing this problem?

The problem is that it appears PSP is 'spidering' short cuts, and if these short cuts link back to directories before the short cut itself, the short cut is found again and a loop occurs.

Thinking about it, this means it might not just be the Start Menu causing this, but this is one place that sometimes people will add a shortcut to a drive. I haven't tested it with short cuts on the desktop to drives, but this may well cause the same problem.

I have both Vista Ultimate and XP Pro, and both experienced this problem.

The other solution would be to exclude the Start Menu and any other directories containing shortcuts to paths that might cause a loop from the organizer. File --> Preferences --> General Program Preferences --> Organizer

I might be completely wrong here(!), but it has at least solved the problem for me!

On my XP machine I just excluded C: and that resolved the problem too.

Mark
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software