RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Corel Paint Shop Pro XI announced

Old 09-12-2006, 03:08 PM

Corel Paint Shop Pro XI announced

http://www.corel.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2006, 08:15 AM

Anyone purchased or upgraded yet?

Just a quick glance at Corel website doesn't look like there is much new in it. Also it's called PSP XI Photo which makes it sound like just a spin off of PSP X with a couple of changes photogs may like.

Anyone have a more definitive story on XI?

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2006, 02:56 PM

thanks guys. just ordered the upgrade, box version. shld be here in a few days to a week. will let you know what i think.

from the web site, it looks like a lot of the new stuff is targeted directly at camera use. i looked at all the categories and saw some new editing stuff, one or two looked exciting enough for me to give this a shot. on the other hand, some of it they were saying was new, looked a lot like the old stuff. i can only hope those items were upgraded.

but, for $60 for the upgrade, it's hard to go wrong....(knock on wood ).

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2006, 05:04 PM

I've used Paintshop from the beginning and loved every upgrade until Paintshop Pro X and reverted back to 9. Since then I took the jump into Photoshop CS2 and realized that that was a great move for me. I have ALOT to learn...but I am...day by day - especially with the help/guidance provided by those on this site!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2006, 10:42 AM

Keep us informed Craig.

I still have PSP X lying in a desk drawer, never installed.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
thanks guys. just ordered the upgrade, box version. shld be here in a few days to a week. will let you know what i think.

from the web site, it looks like a lot of the new stuff is targeted directly at camera use. i looked at all the categories and saw some new editing stuff, one or two looked exciting enough for me to give this a shot. on the other hand, some of it they were saying was new, looked a lot like the old stuff. i can only hope those items were upgraded.

but, for $60 for the upgrade, it's hard to go wrong....(knock on wood ).

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2006, 01:50 PM

well, for the moment, hold onto your money. i got my copy today and installed and registered it. everything seemed to go fine. i even got the freebie download of extras from corel and all seemed fine. when i ran it for the first time i found they have a new browse/organize thing. it didnt show my normal picture folders but after fooling around a bit i found the way to add it to the browser. that worked fine but when i clicked on the first sub-folder, psp xi crashed. cute.

so, i booted it back up and it now runs like tortoise in a mud pit. this was not there prior to the crash. it seems to be struggling loading the thumbnails used for browsing, with one thumb being loaded every 70 seconds or so...waaaay too slow! i tried killing the program and got 'program not responding' error and killed it off.

when i booted it up again, it was still the same way, so i killed the browse/organize thing to see if that would speed things up. no go. still running VERY slow. now, i've got a LOT of folders in that picture folder and a lot of pictures in each folder/sub-folder and it may just be choking on all of that, but for now....save your money.

needless to say i'll be contacting corel to see if this is a known bug and if there is a known fix. if that doesnt work, i'll try uninstalling and installing again. so, so far, a bit disappointing.

craig

edit: i just tried psp 10 again to make sure it was ok. thankfully, the XI upgrade does not overwrite 10. it just makes a new install of XI based on X. so, X is still fine, working normally.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2006, 02:23 PM

ok, i found this:
Quote:
The first time Paint Shop Pro Photo XI is run, it may appear to be hung on updating cache files. Depending upon the system resources, it may take several minutes to load the cache files the very first time the program is run. Please allow the program to continue loading until the interface displays. Once this is done, the program should launch much faster when launching any other time.
on the corel web site. hopefully, since i have so many pictures on my drives, that this is all that it is. i'm currently running the program in the background hoping it will update all this cache information and then work ok after that. there is another knowledge base article i found on the corel site that seems somewhat related, but i'll give this other a chance first.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2006, 04:35 PM

Hate to hear of your problems Craig. I don't think Corel knows what they want to do with PSP.

I still don't know why they bought it. Seems like they just wanted to eliminate the competition.

Let me know if things improve. Keeping my fingers crossed for ya'.

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2006, 04:52 PM

ok, the cache thing seems to have been the problem. i walked away from the computer for a while (over an hour) and when i came back, all was working smoothly again. so, if you have a folder or folders that have thousands of pictures, expect to spend some time letting psp xi update the cache.

new features:

this will be brief for the moment. the look and feel of the interface is pretty much the same. the layout will be familiar to anyone who has 9 or 10. the old 'browse' is now replaced by the new 'organize'. the one nice thing i see with this is that you can now sort your pictures by a number of different methods, including date of the original image, date last modified and several others.

there is a new 'object replacer' tool. i tried this one out and it's basically a clone function. i found it more a novelty than truly useful but, in some circumstances, it might be the perfect 'quck clone'. i only tried it on one image in several places and it was ok, but needed help with a regular clone. one good feature about it is, you can use the 'edit selection' function with this and you'll need it. they only allowed you to select here using a freehand 'smart' selection tool and that is always a bit dicey. so, use the selection tool but follow it up with 'edit selection' and the selection works much better.

oh, and there is a second 2nd cd that comes with psp xi. this is a video tutorial disk! i havent looked at it yet, but it seems to be taken from videos on lynda.com.

also with the 2 cd set comes 'snapfire se'. dont know a lot about that but it seems to be a fairly basic photo editing thing. i didnt bother to even install it.

also on the cd's is corel painter essentials 3, demo/trial version. didnt install that either.

in the 'adjusts' menu is a new menu item, 'soft focus'. there were about 3 items in the sub-menu. it's basically just what it says; it creates a soft focus on your image.

also in the 'adjusts' menu are 'depth of field' and 'skin smoothing'. havent tried the latter yet but did try the depth of field. here again you have to select an area. it's also freehand but does include circular and rectangular. this whole tool comes up a window with several adjustments for changing the blur of the background and so on. i'm also going to have to read up on this one as i'm getting an error message when i do some things. may be me and may be the program. not sure yet.

there are other things i havent tried yet and i'll be posting more as i go. so, stay tuned.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2006, 01:02 AM

i've been playing around with the new 'depth of field' filter. it's a nice idea but somewhat poorly implemented. the success of this thing falls directly to how well you can make a selection around your target that you want to keep in focus, because basically, all you're doing is keeping one area in focus while you blur the rest of the image. if you cant get the target area selected properly, the rest is never going to be as good as you want.

the problem is in the freehand selection. you have to do this in the tiny preview window and there is no point to point select; it's the true freehand selection. the window is too small and the freehand is too hard to do in that tiny window. this would work much better if you could select your target with 'edit selection' or even if you had point to point selection.

so, you're better off simply doing the entire thing without the 'depth of field' filter. just select your target, invert and blur the rest of the image. same thing. that's all this filter is, select, invert, blur.

i would have much preferred corel concentrated on making some of the basics better than putting these 'we need to do something cool' items in here, especially when they're poorly implemented.

now, i shld also mention that there is a plus to this filter. if you use the circular or rectangular select and dont blur too heavily and feather the selection out a bit (feather is a slider in this one), it can make a pretty good job of things in a hurry. so, it's not all bad. but i'd have much preferred a better selection process for all of psp than this patched together select/invert/blur thing.

attached is an image i did with the freehand select in depth of field. a fairly soft blur, no feather. it's ok, but i could do this same thing much better using the basic tools of psp. i did nothing else on it. you could now take a soften brush and blur the bits that didnt make it into the selection, but i think it would still be faster doing this whole thing from basic tools.

the image used is from the art forums, plum pudding thread, compliments of Peter_S

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plum-Pudding-Pig-DoF-1-k-1.jpg (89.0 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software