RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Better JPEG Lossless Resave plug-in

Old 10-05-2006, 09:16 AM
Janitor

Better JPEG Lossless Resave plug-in

I'm skeptical:

"Better JPEG Lossless Resave plug-in for Adobe Photoshop is a tool designed to avoid recompression loss when editing and resaving JPEG images in Photoshop."

http://www.betterjpeg.com/jpeg-plug-in.htm
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2006, 09:35 AM

Re: Better JPEG Lossless Resave plug-in

Well, if the software somehow knows which particular image regions were edited, then recompressing only that regions and leaving untouched ones intact is possible. But, obviously, any simple tool like "Levels" that affect the whole image will break it. So, I doubt one can find much use for this. The number of adjustments and filtering that affect the whole image and normally are necessary for good retouch makes me feel that chances to get any advantage from this filter are close to zero.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2006, 10:04 AM

I see they have a beta version so I am gonna give it a few tries can't hurt any way. I have read a few companies that do this, concentrate on just the effected areas. One I don't recall the name, allowed the user to choose zones that would undergo more compression than others, thus allowing detailed areas to be less effected.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Janitor

Photoshop allows you to manually select zones for compression (via alpha channels)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2006, 10:51 AM

Wow, you know I never realized that, how exactly do you set them up? Back is less compressed or more compressed? That is potentially very useful information, thanks Doug.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Janitor

In Save for Web click on the little "circle inside a square" icon next to Quality setting. This allows you to load an alpha channel and control what compression to apply to that area.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2006, 11:24 AM

Gave some strange results, I used a custom shape, created an image, used the selection from said shape to create an alpha channel, when I set the quality using the alpha to 100% it introduced artifacts (visually) when I selected Vector Shape Layers to modify quality settings by it maintained quality. the tests I tried show very little difference in file size using the "Modify Quality Settings" option and just applying the same maximum to the full image. I will need to conduct more tests on more complex images to get an accurate picture of the possibilities.

I found that software I mentioned earlier today, the software is called Ignite it deals with compression on separate levels. The color quality (color and brightness) is usually compressed at the same rate but can be done separately, also different blocks of pixels can be optimized at different levels. it claims a jpeg is compressed in 8x8 blocks and usually all at the same rate but this software claims to be able to do all this for you to get the best visual looking jpeg at the lowest size.

Sounds interesting, I have not had chance to test it, it can be run from inside photoshop as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Janitor

If anyone was thinking about entering our tutorials contest but was lacking an idea for a tutorial to write, the above might be one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2006, 11:34 AM

I found a great description here. also a good walk through here. amazing how many times I have looked at that dialog box, even seen the square and never clicked it. After years of Photoshop I am always amazed how much more there can be to learn.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software