RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Stuff Photoshop can't do

Old 10-08-2006, 08:59 AM
Janitor

Stuff Photoshop can't do

Photoshop has a reputation of being the Swiss army knife of image editing. But I've learned from experience that sometimes the necessary PS steps are just too convoluted, counterintuitive, or just plain not worth the trouble using Photoshop's native toolset.

What are some of the things you've found easier (or possible) to do using a different app, or even a plugin?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2006, 10:04 AM

Re: Stuff Photoshop can't do

i've used photoshop only a few times, but the one thing i always tried when i did was the clone tool. frankly, it's a bit clumsy compared to psp's. you had to hit a key or something, as i recall, in ps's to change your start mark. psp's is much more intuitive to me. it's a right click to set, left click to clone. want to reset the start mark, just right click again. very simple, very intuitive.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2006, 03:44 PM

hi,
When I first got photoshop cs there was couple of things I ran into that I was surprised .
1. Moire effects...I do a fair amount scanning of old and new newspaper articles and magazine pages I always get moire... going thru photoshop recommended procedures to remove, seems to be very tedious with a lot of steps and a awfull lot of guess work and time consumming and when you do apply the cleaning it effect the picture degrades overall... Using old photofinish 4.1
it much simpler, a lot fewer steps, and when you do apply the removing... very little degrading of the picture...
2. the other one is with simple transparent gif. with photofinish.. just a couple of steps to designate what you want to be transparent and your done.... with photoshop thier help section seems so convoluted and time consumming.. I almost gave on on using photoshop for trasparent gif... however I did eventually find a much simpler way than there recommend way to do it in photoshop.... so I am happy there... smile...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
Photoshop has a reputation of being the Swiss army knife of image editing. But I've learned from experience that sometimes the necessary PS steps are just too convoluted, counterintuitive, or just plain not worth the trouble using Photoshop's native toolset.

What are some of the things you've found easier (or possible) to do using a different app, or even a plugin?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2006, 04:57 PM
Patron

NOISE REDUCTION:
Noise is one of the image challenges we all encounter in any photo processing or restoration. The PS tools to address this fundamental and impotant topic are disappointingly inadequate. I can think of a ton of stuff in PS that most people would give up in exchange for a good noise reduction filter like Noiseware.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2006, 09:53 PM

Maybe this should be a separate post..but I was also wondering what features would Photoshop users like when the next version of Photoshop is launched? I agree with the noise recommendation.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2006, 09:58 PM
Janitor

And I agree that should be a separate thread

But it's a good idea, feel free to start it up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2006, 10:45 PM

What? There is something Photoshop can't do?

How about reducing launch times?

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Petty
What? There is something Photoshop can't do?

How about reducing launch times?

Janet
Yup; on my 1.6GHz, 512MByte PC100 SDRAM system (P4), it takes roughly 1.5 minutes to launch. Needless to say, I just leave it running after launch for the next photo to play with. lol

Edit: this might be perceived time, but I can tell you it takes way too long.

Last edited by lkroll; 10-09-2006 at 09:45 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 09:20 AM

Photoshop has some limitations when it comes to batch processing (Automate > Batch):
* It does not do printing all that well (printer settings cannot be preserved in actions)
* One is unable to interrupt a batch process to do common tasks, like clone over a blob, and then resume the batch process.
* The folder specified when a Save for Web command is recorded cannot be overridden in the Batch dialog
* Applying Contact Sheet II and Picture Package cannot be done in a hands-off batch process.
* There is no easy provision to access common fields such as file name, date/time, etc. or, say, exposure data from EXIF data, so they can be included in images. (Yes, I know scripting will do this, but how many PS users know how to write scripts?)
* Although one can specify "use all folders" from within a folder tree as a Source, there's no provision for saving processed images in destination mirror of that folder tree (except for the root folder).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 09:37 AM

Wow Danny, and I thought it's primary limitations were coffee, cordial and wine
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software