RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Animation using Photoshop layers

Old 10-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Janitor

Animation using Photoshop layers

I have a Photoshop file and want to end up with an animation of one or more layers moving relative to the others. I'd like to end up with an endless loop with sound. Ideas on the easiest way to accomplish this?

I suspect Flash might be involved, but I'm open to other ideas.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2006, 12:21 PM

Re: Animation using Photoshop layers

there used to be a ton of .gif animation programs on the net. i havent looked recently, but these were the old standard for animation and fairly simple to work with. flash is great but much harder to work with, a much higher learning curve and usually takes a much more expensive program, like macromedia flash mx.

paint shop pro comes with Animation Shop 3. this is a .gif animation program and is the one i use for my small animations. it's fairly simple, has a few extra features like page curl and does the job relatively easily, particularly if you have psp. the two have hooks into each other. so, i can just export ALL my frames from psp directly into an animation framer and i'm good to go.

flash is great and i wouldnt want to steer you completely away from it. one of the big differences with flash is that you can draw an object and animate its movement without having to draw another cell. with .gif you have to draw each cell. so, it's a big time saver with flash not having to draw each cell.

and, i hadnt thought of this before, but you might be able to do what you want with a slide show type program like photo story 3 from microsoft or one of the others. these tend to have pretty pronounced steps between each cell/slide, but most of them can reduce that time step. just how much would be the question.

and with flash or a slide show type, you can also add music if you want. not sure the .gif ones could. animation shop 3 cant.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2006, 01:53 PM

I don't know about adding sound, but you can animate within Photoshop itself by going to the window menu and choosing animate. When finished, export it to Image ready and save as a flash document NOT gif.

As for adding sound, again, I apologize because I don't know how to do that.

As for slideshow programs, etc., I use ProShow Gold. Very user friendly and easy to work with.

Then there is always PowerPoint, which lets you add animated gifs and sound. But that is slow, has huge file sizes, and is well...PowerPoint.

Hope that gives you another avenue to explore.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2006, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
I have a Photoshop file and want to end up with an animation of one or more layers moving relative to the others. I'd like to end up with an endless loop with sound. Ideas on the easiest way to accomplish this?

I suspect Flash might be involved, but I'm open to other ideas.
hi,
I don't know how your going to use the project ie; on webpage or as greeting Ecard or a stand alone file for a presentation... and lot of time knowing this background info let you know what options there are avail... and best course of action!

First as far as animate gif. The standard does not allow for sound!! simple as that... however if this project is going to be used in a webpage well you can setup your webpage to play the sound/music you want... to go along with the animated gif..

another possiblity is creating a slide show/movie file. Here you can put in your animation and whatever other graphics or clips and add sound/music and then create either a avi or mpg file ... however a avi and mpg file is finite... you won't get looping...
note: you can convert a avi to a animated gif... but again no sound in the gif..

for animated gif creation I use both ulead gif creator and gifcon from alchemy.. ulead is oneof the best and gifcon very good but a lot more user friendly than Ulead... and there several others out there..
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Janitor

Can AfterEffects make endless loops?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
Can AfterEffects make endless loops?
It depends on what you mean by endless loops.

You can position and keyframe things so that it forms a seamless loop, but the actual media will only be one loop in length. Then, it's up to the playback mechanism to take care of repeating it.

For instance, if you make a loopable Quicktime movie in AE, it'll probably only be 1 loop (once through) long, but you can set the player to loop endlessly. The same with Windows Media Player. However, if you save your loopable sequence as an animated gif from AE, there is a checkbox to enable looping, but as JerryB said, no sound in an animated gif. I did not see a way to save it as Flash or Shockwave from AE, but there may be plugins to do it.

--Racc
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 04:12 PM

ImageReady will do endless loops but will not handle sound. Animating in ImageReady is actually quite easy and best of all, it comes with Photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 04:24 PM

Russel Brown has a tdetailed utorial on animation. You can get the basic idea from:

http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/ExportedKnockoutSM.mov

check it out.

Stosh
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 05:09 PM

I will go with flash... save all your layers in separate png(24) files... so they will preserve their transparency ... then in flash U cane use those png files to do ehateever you want... sound endells loop, you can even make it to be interactive....
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2006, 04:03 AM

If you are on CS2 everything is there for the animation. Animating layers, tweening etc, and exporting as flash via Image ready.
Bit of a tutorial below
http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bi...2_2/index.html

Then add your sound track with any of the freeware swf editors
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software