RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Firefox 2 Released

Old 10-28-2006, 03:29 PM

Re: Firefox 2 Released

I've been using it without any apparent problems since it was first released.

FF are a lot quicker than M$ at rectifying any problems that do occur, so since there's been no updates, it's reasonably safe to assume there haven't been any major faux pas.

FF is an additional browser (you do NOT uninstall IE), so if you do have any problems you can still use IE.

If you go ahead and install it, and have any problems, just ask here I'll be happy to help (if I can).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2006, 10:43 PM

I dunno about this. I love my firefox browser and am particularly fond of my theme (I use the "little fox" theme which seems to have the smallest tool bars and take up the least amount of screen space). I hate to give that up for a newer version.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2006, 03:14 AM

Do you mean miniFox, which is also available for FF2. https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/607/

You might also try miniFoxFlat which is even smaller https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1202/

If anyone's like me, and doesn't like the default theme for the new FF, then this add-on will restore the old FF desktop to your box. https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3479/

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 10-29-2006 at 03:36 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2006, 02:32 PM

Ok, I've downloaded and installed it; so far, so good. I like the spell checker. Otherwise, it's sort of like moving into a new house and getting used to where everything is. I see there are lots of add-ons, and I'm not sure which ones I'll want yet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2006, 03:27 AM

Here's a few that I use. (Click to go to DL site)

No Script Used to permit javascript on a site by site basis. Useful security for when you're not sure whether a site is "reputable" or not.

McAfee Site Advisor Gives you an icon in your Status Bar indicating the safety rating of the site you're on (green=safe, red=risky), also colour codes items in your google searches, so you can easily avoid going to sites with risky content (Malware).

Get Mail 2.5 Adds a button to your toolbar allowing you to access your mail. For some reason FF2 removed this useful button, this puts it back. (After installing you'll have to go View > Toolbars > Customise and drag the icon to your toolbar).

CustomizeGoogle Allows you to customise Google in all sorts of ways. One of the ones I like is that it allows you to open full size pictures direct from Googles Image Search, without first taking you to the webpage where the pic is. Makes searching for images much more convenient. You can also add links to other image search sites into Google, so you can do all your searching from one page.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2006, 06:39 AM

Thank you, Gary. These look really useful. I'll check them out. I may not install Get Mail just yet because I've begun using EPrompter. I have 4 email addresses (one for business, one for friends who send tons of forwards, etc), and Eprompter sits on the desktop and quietly tells me when I've got mail in any of them; I rarely check my mail from the browser.
http://www.eprompter.com/download.htm

I'm trying to get used to tabs. They'll be useful, but so far, I keep clicking the red X button and closing all my windows!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2006, 07:49 AM

Two ways to close a tab, in FF2 click the red X on the tab, OR (and this is the one I use most) click the tab using your mousewheel.

Similarly, if you mousewheel click a Bookmarked item in your side bar, it'll open in a new tab. It works on links too.

The great thing about tabs is you can have a bundle of sites open at the same time, so switching between them is really easy. You'll really appreciate it if you have to do any research.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2006, 08:54 AM

GARY!!!

Thanks for the mouse wheel tips! I have been using FF for some time now and never knew that. I suppose what's what I get for not reading the instructions.

I suppose I will go ahead and try FF2. I am hoping maybe it will fix a problem I have been having with FF and Yahoo. We'll see.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2006, 04:53 PM

You're welcome.

What problem have you been having with Yahoo?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2006, 07:06 PM

Gary, Ro

My hearty thanks also -- I'm shy of upgrades unless there's an obvious improvement, and even then I hate to go thru all the changes that are sometimes necessary to set things up the way that I was used to having them on the old version.

Ro, you explained useful reasons for making the upgrade; Gary, you made it possible to get thru the upgrade easily and reestablish my mail button, know how to add some security add-ons and get back to USING my browser without losing an evening to figuring out HOW to set-up my browser. (I'm finding that the spell checker is at work even without me having to turn it on -- that's nice.)

1stLite, I didn't know about the mouse wheel either -- it's a lot handier, isn't it!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software