RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Firefox 2 Released

Old 10-30-2006, 10:25 PM

Re: Firefox 2 Released

i installed this tonight also. seems pretty good, but then i was used to mozilla. i do like some of the plug-ins and extensions.

but what is this google analytics? i keep getting script blocking on it. when i allow it then i don't get any.

and how do i add words to the spell checker? it keeps hitting on things like google and mozilla.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2006, 05:11 AM

Does anybody know how to make the spell checker work, I've tried switching it on and off in the preferences dialogue, still doesn't work.

By the way tabs are now included in IE7, still trying to get used of the changes to the layout, still has security holes, though I think Firefox only escapes that problem because it is only a small part of the market, and there is probably more kudos in taking the piss out of Microsoft.

Max
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2006, 05:47 AM

Craig,

The script is one added to the web page to allow google to track how many hits the page gets, used for marketing processes. Blocking it will not affect you receiving page content, but will prevent you being another google statistic. (Personally I block it).

http://www.google.com/analytics/

To add a word to the dictionary move your cursor over the word that's underlined, right click it, and select add to dictionary from the drop down menu.

Just as an aside, is it me, or has the BG for RetouchPro changed, could have sworn it wasn't orange yesterday.

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 10-31-2006 at 06:04 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2006, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Just as an aside, is it me, or has the BG for RetouchPro changed, could have sworn it wasn't orange yesterday.
At least one of us is noticing stuff! HAPPY HALLOWEEN, everybody!

Thanks for the wheel click tip, Gary! I'm settling into Firefox nicely, but I'm with Ausimax. I was happy at first to see that suspect words were underlined in red, but now I'm not sure how to check them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2006, 08:50 AM

well, i think i overloaded firefox with add-ons. it wont boot up today, at all. i can see it in task manager, but it wont bring up the interface and has crashed from that once. so, for the moment, i'm back on i.e. i'll spend some time later today debugging.

and thanks, gary (no, that wasnt sarcasm )
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2006, 11:05 AM

Hi Raniday,

To check words that are underlined, just put your cursor on the underlined word and right click it, and there will be a list of alternatives in bold in the right-click menu. Click on the appropriate one to replace it in your text.

By the way, the alternates for Raniday are Cyanide, Cyanides, Cyanide's, Cyaniding, Cyanided (I think whoever compiled my dictionary has dyslexia).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2006, 12:37 PM

no way to get firefox going again. worked fine yesterday... couldnt get it to boot without it crashing or not just sitting with no interface. so, uninstalled everything and will try it again on a new install. i suspect it was some conflict with some of the add-ons or possibly that i've turned off some of the windows services prior to installing (back when i set this computer up).

i tried double clicking the desktop icon, starting from windows explores by double clicking the .exe and from start\programs, both in normal mode and in firefox safe mode with all add-ons disabled. no go in any of them.

so, could still be some bugs in this thing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2006, 12:48 PM

Well, I haven't had a chance to try the new one yet, but as soon as I get caught up on this work I will. (multichannel psd's anyone? )

My site is hosted through yahoo, and when I go to geocities, and try to bring up my site stats or the file browser, it crashes FF. No problems with it in IE. It is reallllly annoying. Even weirder, it doesn't happen every time - but maybe like 6 or 7 out of 10.

BTW Gary - I use Google Analytics to view stats on my site. It is really a neat tool. I am sure I don't know all the ways to use it, though. Just for my amusement mostly.

Dawn
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
My site is hosted through yahoo, and when I go to geocities, and try to bring up my site stats or the file browser, it crashes FF. No problems with it in IE. It is reallllly annoying. Even weirder, it doesn't happen every time - but maybe like 6 or 7 out of 10.
Easiest way would be to use Tools > Always view this page with IE when you go to geocities. That way you can use FF, but that site will always open in an IE window.

I'm sure Google analytics is a very useful tool for the site owner and for Google of course, but of little interest to the visitor, and a definite case of "Spyware" (in its most loose definition, I'm not suggesting its malicious) in as much as it can be used to track movements across the internet. I certainly see no reason why I should allow it to operate scripts on my browser.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2006, 09:30 PM

Thank you, Gary. I knew it would be something super simple, but sometimes it's easier to ask than research
Quote:
By the way, the alternates for Raniday are Cyanide, Cyanides, Cyanide's, Cyaniding, Cyanided (I think whoever compiled my dictionary has dyslexia).
Probably as good an alternative as any. I chose my username in my early days of discovering digital art and forums. Rani is my granddaughter's name. Should have just used my own name.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software