RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Firefox 2 Released

Old 10-31-2006, 10:26 PM

Re: Firefox 2 Released

ok, uninstalled and re-installed. i hate un-installers that dont remove everything. apparently, firefox keeps some user-preference data in folders and locations other than where you installed it, and it does NOT remove this when un-installing. when i re-installed it remembered all the add-ons i had previously installed. they were disabled, thankfully, but it auto-found and loaded them again in disabled mode. it also 'remembered' all my previous settings in options, imported things from i.e. and so on.

on general principle, when i un-install something, i want it ALL gone, not just parts. in this particular case, it seems to have worked out allright, but i still find it annoying. i actually sort of expected the plugins to still be around, maybe in some other folder, but i didnt expect them to be found by a new install.

i might have to go back to mozilla. so far, i'm not real impressed. i do like the google image bit that gary posted about. having the google images open directly is nice. i just wish it didnt override my options of 'open all new pages in a new tab'. it currently only opens an image in a new tab if you manually force it to. and i think i like the site script blocking. that's been a problem in i.e.

still, new toys take getting used to sometimes. so, we'll see.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2006, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraellin
i hate un-installers that don't remove everything.
In my experience that's just about every uninstaller there is. I've yet to find one that does a really thorough job. Seems the programmers are either incompetent, or more likely just don't give a damn about all the junk they leave behind.

Usual excuse is they do it so that "if you decide to re-install it's faster for you", but I'm with you Craig, when I remove something from my box I want it ALL gone.

Favourite places for things to be left is C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files\Common Files. The folders left in the former can usually be removed with no ill effects, the ones in the latter should only be removed if you have no other programs from that developer, as they may contain files used by other programs.

I always create a System Restore Point before uninstalling any program (as I do before installing a new program also) just in case of mishaps, then after uninstalling I run a reg cleaner to get rid of the inevitable orphans. As there is almost always a folder in Program Files, I remove that as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2006, 08:16 AM

Thanks for that, Gary. I had no idea that option existed. I will certainly set it up that way if I have problems still in the new FF.

THe GS thing - I was just sayint it was neat that's all. Wasn't makign any suggestions.

Thanks so much for your help, Gary. I am trying to make the wheel-click thing a habit - which is about as hard for me as remembering keyboard shortcuts in PS. Oh well - some day it will actualy stick! lol

Dawn
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2006, 11:17 AM

You're welcome Dawn. The "always view this page in IE" is new to FF2, you had to use a plug-in in earlier versions of FF to achieve this. I still use the plug-in IE View because it allows me to view pages in IE on a "once only" basis as well.

The wheel click does take a bit of getting used to in the early days, but once it becomes a muscle memory it's a real time saver.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2006, 11:11 PM

I have a question that I didn't see answered, at a glance (directed at anyone.)

In Firefox, usually, when you type the "/" key, a search window pops up. In the earlier version of Firefox, you could click on 'Previous' and 'Next' but now those options are gone.

How do I get those back?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2006, 04:30 AM

The previous/next arrows should be on your toolbar by default, if they are not there, click View > Toolbars > Customise and drag the symbols from the box to your Toolbar.

The keyboard shortcuts for going backward and forward a page are.

Alt + left arrow for back.
Alt + right arrow for forward.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2006, 09:14 AM

Oh, no no, I didn't mean going forward and backward a page, I meant when you use the search feature. The one that pops up at the bottom of a page, when you are searching for a specific word.

I can't seem to find the previous/next buttons anywhere, so it is pretty much useless without it.

Is it like that only on my version or does anyone else have the same problem?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2006, 11:24 AM

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Try hitting your F3 key, that should bring up your search box, let me know if the next/previous buttons are missing. (They will be greyed out until you enter text to search for).

If they are not there, you may need to uninstall and re-install Firefox, you should not be having the problems you describe.

Did you do a clean install, or install over an existing Firefox installation.

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 11-03-2006 at 11:29 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2006, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVeed
...In Firefox, usually, when you type the "/" key, a search window pops up. In the earlier version of Firefox, you could click on 'Previous' and 'Next' but now those options are gone.

How do I get those back?
I hadn't ever used that in the previous version, but in version 2, it appears to bring up only a "quick search" -- (one time only type of search, I guess); to do a full page search (with "Next" and "Previous" ) do a Control-F or F3.

Thanks for bringing up the "/ key" feature -- I hadn't known that. I learned a lot of shortcuts for PShop, but haven't bothered much with Firefox, but I can see how learning some could save some time and effort. CntrL-R for Reload is one that I'm going to try to start using.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2006, 10:35 PM

OOOH! Control + F works perfectly, thanks! I guess it's just "/" now that doesn't work anymore.

Whew! I thought I was going to have to go back to my previous version. THANKS!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software