RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Firefox 2 Released

Old 11-06-2006, 10:32 AM

Re: Firefox 2 Released

Firefox and I are getting along pretty well. Occasionally, I'll bump into something that IE handled, and FF doesn't. For example, what plugin is it asking me to install when I try to view some pages? I'm very wary of downloading anybody's plugins without checking them out, so I switched to IE, went back to the site, and it loaded the page instantly.

Also, FF is a tad slower than IE in opening up heavy graphics pages. I'm on cable, so I'm used to instant-on, but in FF, they sometimes even start off with red Xes and unflold. Just a slight irritation.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2006, 12:10 PM

Version 2 does prompt you when a site tries to download an add-on to you, this is a new security function, and a good one to have, as some of the nastier Malware is spread by the addition of 3rd party codecs to "enable you to view this site content".

Plug ins from a Mozilla approved source will not be flagged, all others should be Googled before you install them. If you know it is from a safe source no problem.

I'm on dial-up (not by choice), so can't comment on the speed issue you've experienced, I can only say that for me FF is quite a bit faster than IE in loading pages.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2006, 04:20 AM

When I first installed Firefox (last year) the installation asked if wished to import my favourites from IE. (Which I did)

Since then I have added Bookmarks to Firefox and more Favourites to IE.

Is there any way to keep my Bookmarks and Favourites synchronised?

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2006, 11:10 AM

You could export your FF Bookmarks to IE, and your IE Favorites to FF.

If you need details of how to do this let me know.

Note: Whilst it's relatively easy to Import your FF Bookmarks into a separate folder within your IE Favorites, the same does not apply when Importing IE favorites into FF. FF just adds them to the Bookmark folder, and it will then be up to you to arrange them as you wish.

Don't know of any way to keep them "synchronised" as such so that you don't have any work to do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2006, 02:33 PM

I had wondered about that, too, Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2006, 03:00 PM

Thanks Gary.

I was afraid that was going to be the answer.

Hi Cat.
If you have just installed Firefox then you can install this addon.
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/668/
And share your favourites with Firefox

However I now have two PC’s both running IE and Firefox so I really need something to synchronize them all.

I did find this.
http://www.sync2it.com/
But it appears to only handle 100 bookmarks (for free)

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2006, 04:10 PM

Ken,
Another option is to use del.icio.us to store your bookmarks. There doesn't seem to be a way to import all your current bookmarks, so I guess you'd have to revisit each bookmarked page (WHAT!!) in each browser and then "tag it" to your account at del.icio.us (I didn't say it was a "smart" option ), but then all your bookmarks would be stored at the del.icio.us website for you to use from any computer or any browser you might happen to be using in the future. I just started using it recently, and I'm not sure how well it will end up serving me, but it's an interesting option that gives me access to other people's bookmarks in similar categories as those I've tagged, and also shows how many other folks have tagged the same page that I've bookmarked. (It's billed as a "social bookmarking website" -- I'm not sure about that either, but I guess it's the current fad.) It is free, and it has saved every bookmark that I've tagged -- my initial worries are that it will lose data or start costing me money to access my bookmarks. Then there are those "personal" bookmarks that I may not want others to see in my list -- yes, others can look at your list of bookmarks ("hmmm, I wonder why she has several bookmarks for Alzheimer's, and one for a margarita recipe, and ..."). I have lost bookmarks before (forgot to make a backup, etc.) and have been frustrated trying to find a certain website that had "just the info I wanted" about something, so this is another backup method for me. I currently only use one computer, and already imported my IE favorites to Firefox and rarely use IE anymore -- but still thought it might be worth trying.

For anyone who's interested, here's a link, and a description from their site:
http://del.icio.us/help/

"del.icio.us is a social bookmarking website -- the primary use of del.icio.us is to store your bookmarks online, which allows you to access the same bookmarks from any computer and add bookmarks from anywhere, too. On del.icio.us, you can use tags to organize and remember your bookmarks, which is a much more flexible system than folders.

You can also use del.icio.us to see the interesting links that your friends and other people bookmark, and share links with them in return. You can even browse and search del.icio.us to discover the cool and useful bookmarks that everyone else has saved -- which is made easy with tags...."
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2006, 05:57 PM

Found this extension Ken https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/14/ don't know whether it will be of use to you.

I've no experience or recommendations on it, just found it by Googling.

Also this http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/...ync/index.html Don't know whether I'd want to be synchronising things through Google, to me they're already a bit too big brother, but it is a possible solution.

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 11-07-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2006, 02:10 PM

Hi

Thanks for your suggestions Gary and Carolyn.
I have now managed to get all my bookmarks and favourites collected together on my main PC and deleted all the bookmarks and favourites on my other PC. This is really all I needed.

I did find another great add-on which you may find useful It’s called clippings
http://clippings.mozdev.org/

You can store words and sentences (Such as ‘Welcome to Retouch Pro’) or any canned speeches

Saves a lot of typing

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2006, 02:17 PM

Looks interesting, I'll have to have a play.

I use a similar type programme for all my "canned" speeches at MRU.

It's called Phrase Express (freeby of course).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software