RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Vista feedback

Old 11-02-2006, 09:33 AM
Janitor

Re: Vista feedback

In a dual-boot situation with apps that have proven to work with Vista, do they need to be installed via Vista, or will apps installed via XP launch OK when booted in Vista?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2006, 10:02 AM

They will need to be installed in Vista, as dual booting is the same as running a second PC (in theory).

PS: For those who really must have Vista, Buy XP Pro OEM and get a free Windows Vista Business Edition upgrade on the link below
http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.a...&SubCat=SOF-OS

Last edited by chrishoggy; 11-02-2006 at 10:33 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2006, 01:45 PM

You should read carefully how MS words this... but in essence...

If you are upgrading your OS, you should not have to reinstall...
If you are replacing the OS, the answer is yes...

A dual boot environment is, as Chris mentioned, the same as 2 different pcs... so you will have to reinstall. Remember that one install is, in theory, oblivious of the presence of the other...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
In a dual-boot situation with apps that have proven to work with Vista, do they need to be installed via Vista, or will apps installed via XP launch OK when booted in Vista?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2006, 02:06 PM

In RC1 public, I believe the upgrade option is disabled and only clean install works. It will rename your XP installation as .old and do a fresh install. Personally I would do a dual boot using a second HDD, rather than a second partition on your main HDD .
I run it on a test box, as it just isn't worth the risk of running it on my main system .
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2006, 02:46 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Thumbs down Re: Vista feedback

Tri- or quad-boot, my friends!

I installed Vista RC1 (missed the window for RC2) on an iMac (20", 2 GHz, 2 gigs RAM) using Parallels, and it runs great. I had already installed an XP virtual machine, so installing Vista was as simple as creating a new VM and installing from the DVD I wrote.

Once complete, I was able to simply copy the Parallels Vista subfolder to a MacBook and have Vista on it as well, with no reinstall needed.

IMO Vista is XP with an OS-X skin. Definitely less ugly than XP or 98, etc. Dig the Gadgets (aka Apple Widgets). As a Mac user I could stand to look at Vista all day if need be (unlike XP's anemic system font and Soviet-era [or Fisher-Price] GUI). BTW, can XP's default system font be changed to something more solid?.

I installed ACD Canvas X in Vista and it seemed to run fine. I haven't installed anything else yet (I use Windows-only apps under XP in Parallels or via a separate partition's Windows install on the MacBook using Apple's Boot Camp).

If I cared to I could install Linux, OS/2, etc. on the same machines and have OS wars!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2006, 04:22 AM

I can think of very few instances, where installing more than one OS would help me do anything much more than bung up my hard drive(s).

If anyone can give me a few good reasons I'd be happy to hear them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2006, 04:47 AM

I can think of one really big one Gary. So you can say you have a dual boot system with Vista on. You've got to look after your street cred, ain't ya It's a bit like having a wet shave with a disposable Bic razor, or having a wet shave with a Gillette Mac 3 turbo, with Power Gel. The day that I see a razor that requires/or has a turbo fitted, will be the day I give up on this planet . It's all about selling/having street credibility, or just being able to say you've got it/done it.
I would only do it for testing the OS or just having an OS installation that I can play around with. Other than that, it is pointless IMHO .
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2006, 05:43 AM

I can think of a reason to dual boot - compatability. If you've got some program that only works on a specific OS and you just cant bare to give it up - dual boot.
I knew people who dual booted XP and 98 for a while because they couldnt get everything working with XP.

I often consider dual booting linux and XP because I cant give up gaming and Photoshop for linux but at the end of the day, the times when I'm not gaming or using photoshop are kinda small.

As for razors - isnt battery powered, vibrating sonic razors with 4 blades the latest deal?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2006, 06:14 AM

Quote:
isnt battery powered, vibrating sonic razors with 4 blades the latest deal?
Yeah, Fusion technology. It worked so well, it fused with my blood vestals and made me bleed all over the bathroom
But then again, I didn't use the fusion Hydro-gel, or the battery powered model. I'm sure that would have made a world of difference, having it buzzing as it cut my face and floating over some hydro-gel

Good point about compatibility though, and something the new VISTA customers may have trouble with.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2006, 10:15 AM

Yes, You can... however this is not the faint of heart.

My recommendation is that you DO NOT do what I'm about to describe.

The font used can change with the OS language. If you are using the English edition of XP, the shell/system uses Tahoma. See this note http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823033/en-me

So, if I really wanted to mess things up, I would overwrite the font with some other font that I named Tahoma. And you are done.

Again you may end up with all kinds of readability issues, so my recommendation is DON'T do it.

If you want to change only specific areas, MS gives the ability to change some of them. Follow this KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310543

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels
Tri- or quad-boot, my friends!
...BTW, can XP's default system font be changed to something more solid?...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software