RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Vista feedback

Old 11-03-2006, 11:13 AM

Re: Vista feedback

Quote:
If you've got some program that only works on a specific OS and you just cant bare to give it up - dual boot.
Can't think of too many programmes I find that indispensable.

Though I'll concede it's a reason, loss of large areas of your disk, and all the other complications caused by a dual-boot system just so you can run the odd programme doesn't seem to me to be a good reason.

I'm not trying to denigrate your reason, just giving my reaction. If it seems good to you that's fine. Me I like to keep things simple.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2006, 11:39 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Post Re: Vista feedback

Hi Gary,

For me, two reasons: Practicality and curiousity.

Practicality: For my Plugs 'N Pixels website I need to run all sorts of plug-ins and apps. I'm Mac-based, and not everything runs on Mac. So I think it's great to be able to pop open Windows on my current machine and do what I need to do, then get back out. It works very well, and speed is similar to a dedicated PC if not better. I used to have to ask Windows-using friends to help me with screenshots and examples, and that was less than efficient.

Curiousity: As you can guess I like software, and I like checking out all kinds of things. So even if I don't need to, I can install a Windows app and play with it. Also, I got to check out Vista harmlessly, which probably would have been more difficult and dangerous to install on a non-Mac.

Windows being what it is, I can understand your relunctance to experiment and risk havoc with your system if it's your main boot method.

BTW, I work as IT in higher ed and we dual-boot iMacs with Windows. Guess where any of our problems are? I've also played with Ubuntu Linux on older G4 Macs (booting from the CD for a look-see), but bedsides browsing the web, I couldn't see much use for it... I understand I can run it under Parallels but haven't bothered.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2006, 12:05 PM

plugsnpixels post reminded me of a useful tip and tool.
When you have a problem with your windows system, and you need to recover files before losing everything, use KNOPPIX Live CD. Nice little OS that loads directly from the CD/DVD, and gives you access to your files.
I've used it on a few systems, and it has been worth it's weight in gold

CD/DVD can be downloaded at http://www.knoppix.org/

Worth getting, just in case something goes wrong with Windows
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Janitor

What firewall and AV software currently works well with Vista?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2006, 05:47 PM

Here's a few AVs reputed to work with Vista. Only one I've heard good things about is Avast (no personal experience so can't verify accuracy of report).

Computer Associates (CA)
Avast (all products)
Symantec Corporate Edition (I'm not a lover of Symantec's products).

Vista is supposed to come with a new 2-way firewall (as opposed to the useless windows firewall (1-way)), though there is some controversy about how effective it is. Don't currently know of any 3rd party Firewalls that will work with Vista.

Thanks Chris & Plugs'n'Pixels, see there are good reasons for another OS if you look hard enough.

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 11-03-2006 at 05:53 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2006, 07:38 PM

AV, Gary listed the candidates. I'm temporarily using the CA product until the Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6 product truly works in Vista...

I don't use software based firewalls... so I haven't researched what works or what doesn't. Vista, does have its own firewall... not great by any streches of the imagination, but it is better than not having anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
What firewall and AV software currently works well with Vista?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2006, 01:26 AM

Nod32 are also supposed to be close to releasing a Vista compliant AV.

Both Kaspersky and Nod32 have the best scanners I know of, they're nearly always the first to get their definitions updated to allow them to detect new virus varients when they appear.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2006, 02:32 PM
Janitor

Well, I installed Vista RC1. It took two tries, as I didn't allocate enough space the first time (I read it needed 6gb, I gave it 10gb, it needs a minimum of 12gb, so I gave it 20gb). I also installed the MS antivirus/firewall service beta (I think it's called OneHelp), and it shows promise.

The main thing I don't like is it feels like trying to do everything while wearing boxing gloves. You can't just set things, you have to use wizards, and anytime you actually do anything it asks you at least twice if you REALLY want to do that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2006, 06:21 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Post Re: Vista feedback

Doug, as a Mac user using Windows XP more often lately (though I've used everything from DOS in the late '80s to Windows 95), I too feel that not only is Windows a constrictive environment, but it also treats users like idiots (I'm tired of being offered to take a tour of Windows XP and other such "messages", for instance, or being handheld all the way through a software install process).

I guess what we're dealing with in Vista is Microsoft's attempts at greater security. MS needs to do what Apple did and rewrite the OS from scratch so the user doesn't have to pay the price for its weaknesses. It's not enough for Vista to merely copy OS-X's look. Are they fooling anybody?

Anyway...

Gary, since we need the protection in Windows, what are the links for Kaspersky and Nod32?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2006, 08:55 PM

Doug,

a couple of observations regarding your experience:

<<needs a minimum of 12gb>>
Which flavor did you install? Home? Pro? Ultra?

<<you have to use wizards>>
Well.... you don't have to, however wizards are indeed the default mechanism for most settings. Once you work with Vista for a while you'll discover that all your settings panels are there... just in different places.
Ms has also promised that everything will be able to be configured via the command line. I'm not a big fan of having to remember long and convoluted strings to do something, but I'm sure this will have fans.

<<asks you at least twice if you REALLY want to do that>> That is, no doubt about it, annoying. If you are brave enough, you can actually turn that "feature" off in the registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
Well, I installed Vista RC1. It took two tries, as I didn't allocate enough space the first time (I read it needed 6gb, I gave it 10gb, it needs a minimum of 12gb, so I gave it 20gb). I also installed the MS antivirus/firewall service beta (I think it's called OneHelp), and it shows promise.

The main thing I don't like is it feels like trying to do everything while wearing boxing gloves. You can't just set things, you have to use wizards, and anytime you actually do anything it asks you at least twice if you REALLY want to do that.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software