RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Vista feedback

Old 11-04-2006, 09:45 PM

Re: Vista feedback

i'll wait till they come out with vista in a vmware module. sounds like a huge headache as it is now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2006, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Gary, since we need the protection in Windows, what are the links for Kaspersky and Nod32?
Far as I know the products for Vista are not available for download yet, if however you just want a version for XP.

Kaspersky (Free 30 day trial)
Nod32 (Free 30 day trial)

Kaspersky also have a free online scanner, this does a scan only, it does not remove anything it finds.

Warning: the log can be confusing if you don't know what you're looking at, Kaspersky flags lots of "locked" processes, these are not necessarily bad, but are done to help detect the presence of Rootkits, best only to use this with expert help. I mention it only in case anyone finds the link on the Kaspersky page and decides to do a scan, then panics when Kaspersky appears to find lots of things on their computer.

If you're a complete skinflint, and want a free Kaspersky, then you could download Active Virus Shield this is from AOL (don't switch off folks) and is free to any user (not just AOL members) and is basically just Kaspersky in another skin.

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 11-05-2006 at 04:14 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2006, 04:17 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Post Re: Vista feedback

Hmm, many thanks, but I better not travel that deep into the darkness...

I do have McAfee installed and updated, FWIW.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2006, 04:22 AM

AVG 7.5 works with Vista RC1
To prevent any issues it may have with Vista, install it in XP compatibility mode
Right click the downloaded AVG .exe file , then on Properties/compatibility and set it to XP
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2006, 07:38 AM

Quote:
I do have McAfee installed and updated, FWIW.
Nothing wrong with McAfee's scanner as such, the programme is a bit of a system hog, and you'll almost certainly have some problems if you try uninstalling it (regarding orphaned services and processes), but it's a dependable enough solution used by many.

Does have some conflict issues with other programmes due to the large number of processes and services it loads, but if you're not suffering any of these, there's no reason to change just for the sake of it.

The important thing (as you've noted), is to ensure it's kept updated. Any AV programme is only any good as long as it's kept updated (minimum once weekly, preferably more often).

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 11-05-2006 at 07:45 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2006, 11:22 AM

AVG 7.5.428 does not work with RC2: The service, after the installation process is completed, will not start. This well known issue, RC2 blocking the loading of the appropriate libraries, is being actively discussed in the AVG forums:
http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/se...or=1,subject=1

The latest release appears to be 7.5.430, and I haven't tried it yet. There are, however, references in the forum that it still doesn't work with RC2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishoggy
AVG 7.5 works with Vista RC1
To prevent any issues it may have with Vista, install it in XP compatibility mode
Right click the downloaded AVG .exe file , then on Properties/compatibility and set it to XP

Last edited by Frank Lopes; 11-05-2006 at 11:27 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2006, 11:52 AM

AVG 7.5 does work with Vista RC1
I posted this because those that are testing Vista on here, are using and downloading RC1 NOT RC2
I know full well the issues with RC2, but I did not want to confuse this thread with those, as people here are not using RC2.
If you feel my info is bad, please explain why my updated RC1 installation on my test box is running very well with AVG 7.5. The installation instructions for RC1 came direct from the Grisoft moderators, and it DOES WORK
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2006, 12:28 PM

The point that I made, was referring to RC2 not RC1. It is understood that it works in RC1 if installed in XP SP2 mode. I was not talking about RC1. I was adding to the discussion in case someone else had RC2. That was all.

By no means, did I mean to imply you were not informed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishoggy
AVG 7.5 does work with Vista RC1
I posted this because those that are testing Vista on here, are using and downloading RC1 NOT RC2
I know full well the issues with RC2, but I did not want to confuse this thread with those, as people here are not using RC2.
If you feel my info is bad, please explain why my updated RC1 installation on my test box is running very well with AVG 7.5. The installation instructions for RC1 came direct from the Grisoft moderators, and it DOES WORK
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2006, 01:20 PM

It just seemed odd that you quoted my post, when replying . I think it may be best to stick with RC1 on here, as RC2 is not a general public release. Those asking about it here, are going to be working with RC1 and AVG has worked from version 7.1 onwards.
But then again, there may be those running the copy of Vista final RTM that has already hit the torrent sites But this copy is infact a modified/hacked RC2 release, and they will suffer the same issues as the genuine RC2
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2006, 01:35 AM
Janitor

I just spent some time getting Vista to stream video files to my Xbox 360. Not as easy as it sounds. I have to transcode the videos in XP (none of the codecs work in Vista). Then I can't view them in XP (I suspect that's a local problem, I can't get the MS codec to work). So then I move them to an external HD (Vista and XP can't see each other's document folders). Then I boot into Vista, move the files to the proper folder, disable my graphics tablet (conflict) and plug in my USB headphones (won't work without a sound device installed, and there's no driver for my soundcard yet). And it takes 20 seconds to transcode a minute of video.

But I got it working
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software