Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Vista feedback

Old 11-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Re: Vista feedback

I don't remember if I asked this or not, but what flavor of Vista are you running? Home? Ultra?

When you plugged the Xbox, did Vista give you a heads up that the new device was in the network?

Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
I just spent some time getting Vista to stream video files to my Xbox 360. Not as easy as it sounds. I have to transcode the videos in XP (none of the codecs work in Vista). Then I can't view them in XP (I suspect that's a local problem, I can't get the MS codec to work). So then I move them to an external HD (Vista and XP can't see each other's document folders). Then I boot into Vista, move the files to the proper folder, disable my graphics tablet (conflict) and plug in my USB headphones (won't work without a sound device installed, and there's no driver for my soundcard yet). And it takes 20 seconds to transcode a minute of video.

But I got it working
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2006, 08:14 PM

The Vista beta 1 is Ultimate edition (at least for me it is, the edition is controlled via the serial number, which is in turn controlled via a questionaire). Vista and the Xbox recognized each other great, just the Xbox would abort after about a minute with an obscure error message about another app attempting to access the UI. It turned out to be the Wacom beta driver for Vista making a weird call (since at this stage in development it currently has no UI, it's just a service). Bug filed with MS and Wacom.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2006, 07:12 AM

Mine is bannana flavour (AKA ultimate)
Doug, when you first installed and it ran the updates , did you install them all?
If I'm not mistaken, there are 1 or 2 updates that do not install if you select the "recommended" action when updating. Try running updates in Vista, and install them all. Might work, or it might not. Just worth a try, as it may be a none critical update that is causing your problem. I can't get to my vista box to check what the other update/s were.

PS: To stop the warnings when you do things in Vista. Switch off user access controls on your user account

Last edited by chrishoggy; 11-08-2006 at 03:13 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2006, 02:15 PM

I found this cool little freeware screencap app that so far is the only one I've found (including commercial apps) that is able to capture the round corners in Vista without the drop shadow (ie: rounded corner appears against white).
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2006, 01:14 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Unhappy Re: Vista feedback

My copy of RC1 has timed out, it seems. I launched it today to show someone and it asked for the activation key. I didn't have my original one handy, so I'm not sure if it's still valid or if I need something new. If I think of it I'll try again tomorrow.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2006, 09:38 PM

I've got RC2 and RC1 installed on one of my computers along side Windows XP Pro and Gentoo Linux, and have used the RTM. At this moment, I can't say I'm too impressed by either. It seems like relatively expensive for the few upgrades it provides -- personally, I'll just stick with my Gentoo.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software