RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Thank God for System Restore!

Old 11-12-2006, 12:05 PM

Re: Thank God for System Restore!

Craig --

1. I am happy that your system is today back in working order, more or less. I know the relief when it's working again after a problem, and the relief from thinking "I have another chance to save stuff before something BAD happens again!"

2. None of this sounds like "normal" Windows problems (translated - "It hasn't happened to me...yet"); all of this sounds both serious and ominous. Wouldn't it be worth your while to have a tech work on it -- friend or hired help? Just a thought...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2006, 09:03 PM

thanks guys, i appreciate the support.

i've copied c: over to another drive now. i think i'll just wipe it and re-format now. one log file says there's a bad sector or block. so a clean slate is probably best here. if the drive is going bad it'll be best if there's little on it to have to contend with.

chris, i'm not sure the knoppix thing would work. i think the FAT (or whatever ntfs calls the equivalent) was screwed up when chkdsk messed it up. so, not sure the files would show up even in dos or a live linux read.

thanks, gary. didnt know that. i really dont know what happened in all this. it usually takes me about a year to get a computer fully grooved in

c.j., thanks. i'm rather stubborn when it comes to this stuff. the philosophy is, if i own it, i maintain it/fix it, or i throw it away. hehe, ok, that doesnt always work but it sort of is how i feel about computers. consequently, i'm in here looking for solutions rather than taking it out to the shop. i learn more this way and hopefully that keeps me from breaking things worse than i do or at least makes it easier to fix when i do break something
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2006, 06:44 AM

Hi Craig,

If you're thinking about doing a re-format, try reading this.

http://spyware-free.us/tutorials/reformat/] (courtesy of wng_z3r0).

Its aimed at guys with a severely Malware infected machine, but most of what's written there will be of use.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2006, 09:02 AM

thanks, gary. i've added that page to my favorites. wish i'd had that a few years ago but, all i'll be doing here is re-formatting c: and c: doesnt have windows on it (well, it still has parts of the old windows, before the new computer). c: isnt my system drive any more. windows is on k:. so, all i'll be doing is the one partition and i'll just do it from windows\manage... when i do it. that's one of the features i like about xp too; you can re-format from within windows. i'll probably not do it right away, either. i'll probably just de-frag the drive first and see if i get any more logs saying anything about a bad sector or block.

one interesting thing of note yesterday was, when i hit tried to copy my old windows folder, the machine hiccuped on something and reboot itself.

it also wouldnt copy certain files and folders of old windows\documents and settings. apparently microsoft has locked some things down very tightly. i think it was the 'all users\application data\microsoft\crypto' folder with some windows keys in it or something. apparently microsoft doesnt want you copying these folders... anti-piracy?? i wonder if i'll even be able to delete those?

after the de-frag i'll probably let things run for a while and see if the drive is going to screw up or not and go from there. i'll also be erasing old junk off there just as a general clean-up. i'm such a pack-rat; i think i have stuff on there going back to the old win95 days
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2006, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Hi Cat,

The reason System Restore didn't work for you on those occasions could be that you were running from a non administrator account.
Nope, I use it in Administrator mode. It simply doesn't always restore.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2006, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Nope, I use it in Administrator mode. It simply doesn't always restore.
What messages (if any) do you get when this happens? (be as specific as you can). Is it with any particular type of Restore Point? Any error codes given?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2006, 10:45 AM

I must admit system restore has failed on some systems I've fixed. It usually just sits there for hours at about 95% done (left one over night) , and never finishes the restore. Then when you have to reboot or switch off, you just get the restore failed on bootup. No errors or awt, just failed due to interruption in process.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2006, 04:09 PM

I logged in today to gather some old info I needed unrelated to this post but thought I might have a look at what my old Nemesis chrishoggy was meddling with these days. wow... first thread I found in his profile led me here... and what luck! It was on a topic that the rat reported me as rude on (after he deleted his provoking side of the banter).

To bring anyone up to date on it I had started a thread on the Merits of RestoreIt here
and was soon bushwhacked..
But all that is in the past and I've moved on... and sadly away from RTP .

that said there are better ways for SOME of us to protect our systems. I used to be sold on RestoreIt and it never has let me down... not once in 4 years or so.. no matter what happened to the system.. and I'm bad when it comes to trying out downloaded software... visiting bad sites.. and running without security (although now that I'm running WinXP I do run the firewall).

I've gotten more than my share of viruses... and found lots of other ways to corrupt my machine. but thru it all I just had to tell RestoreIt to restore C: go make a pot of coffee and come back to a slick running windows with all my software, preferences and tweaks in place.

The one thing that nagged me though because I like to squeeze all the speed out of my homebuilt PC I could was that as with windows built in restore system (which is shut off) it slowed me down some while it was writing those incremental restore points which I never used (the secret is to keep the permanent restore point current).. RestoreIt doesn't allow you to just make that one restore point and shut it off though..
One day with some time on my hands I tried finding a better way... and presto! there it was made by the same company... I'm not sure if it is new or that I never saw it while there.

It's called DriveClone find it here And it does all that RestoreIt did for me but puts it on a disk.

The result is a faster machine and because I work with a lot of video files these days this is a godsend. or Manna from Allah if you lean that way.

Gary and his sidetwit came down on me over security at 1st so when I started my own thread I was careful to mention that RestoreIt works fine with security.... that I just had no use for it... preferring again the speed of running unfettered across the internet... relying on restoreIt to get me out of trouble.. bless them it always came thru.

There is some criteria to use RestoreIt the way I did.. much of it is the same with my new choice DriveClone... but it can be used just as they advertise on their site...
The one thing that must be present though is Pentium not AMD

With DriveClone I suppose there is no longer a need to partition the HardDrive (or have 2) however with one partition you will use more disks (hopefully DVDs).

I've always had mine partitioned though with my saved files off C: ... to newbies that's pretty much like having "my Documents" on a different partition, or hard drive for the fortunate.

I have lots of software installed and I still can use just a single DVD disk for backup...

Now no matter what happens, I'm 15 minutes from a fresh return to the image of C: I made ... all tweaked, all programs, and I even defragged C: before burning it..

Well Goodbye again.. I still stand by all that was said on this subject
RonDon

If you have something constructive to add to this topic it is welcome.

However if all you have returned to RTP for is to start up this old and worn out argument, then don't bother.

Any further posts by you on the topic of RestoreIt will be removed.

Gary

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 11-20-2006 at 03:39 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2006, 10:09 AM

read without bias my post was on topic and constructive as they all were.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2006, 10:31 AM

Quote:
read without bias my post was on topic and constructive as they all were.
Quote:
Gary and his sidetwit
Not very constructive, but made me laugh anyway
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software