RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Thank God for System Restore!

Old 11-23-2006, 10:48 AM

Re: Thank God for System Restore!

Ron, If it works for you, all well and good. It could never work for me, or anybody else I know of that runs a secure PC. We've covered these points many times, and I'm not willing to continue to post on it. The fact that you took the time to check posts in my profile, and referred to me as Rat, Sidetwit, twit and Nemesis, shows you only came back to fire up an argument.

This discussion is again taking over someones thread, and it is not right. If you wish to discuss your methods and tips, they may be better posted on forums like this one http://www.security-forums.com . There you can share your method with like minded people, who will give you their honest opinion on what they think. RTP has seen your methods and read all about your advice/opinions on this matter.

Last edited by chrishoggy; 11-23-2006 at 02:37 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2006, 01:29 AM

Ron, If it works for you, all well and good. It could not ever work for me,
I believe that alright! I said on my 1st posts on the subject that it wasn't for everybody. As I recall I said then it was for those like myself who experiment a lot with various trialware and visit questionable sites.. and other pursuits that invite problems. However now with the Disk backups involved it may well appeal to others. It was so simple. And using the disk is even simpler.. put it in.... reboot... and click yes when it asks if you want to restore.. 10 minutes later... well we've been there eh?
or anybody else I know of that runs a secure PC. Like they'd dare to tell you.
We've covered these points many times, and I'm not willing to continue to post on it. The fact that you took the time shows you only came back to fire up an argument.
I came back to get some needed info on another matter... As I was saying on a whim I checked to find your last post and that brought me here... FATE? ..a year later and I pop right into another thread where the topic is again "System Restore".
As I read through Craig's misfortunate trials of course I thought "I should mention DiskClone to him", but knew those first to respond and shoot my idea out of the water before anyone had a chance to consider it were present and that made me a little angry.
This discussion is again taking over someones thread, and it is not right.
Craig, you got lucky this time - it doesn't always work or fully restore. If you want to be 100% safe, image your drive or partitions with something like Symantecs Ghost 10 (formerly PowerQuest Drive Image).
My experience with System Restore is that it only works when it's not vital. I still go to it occasionally, but there's like a 50-50 chance that it will go through the whole process of "restoring", reboot, and then tell me it couldn't make any changes.
I do recall system restore not working once or twice. this was usually when windows was very badly corrupted or when a piece of hardware was going bad, and that's not the fault of system restore.
Nope, I use it in Administrator mode. It simply doesn't always restore.

Isn't this the perfect thread? As far as I know I haven't posted in any thread on this topic that I felt wouldn't benefit from it. No hijacked threads.. I did realize that discussing the method I've been working on to get a more useful restore point was wandering off topic so I started my own thread... hoping for discussion on method... beyond the basics of it... with input and workarounds from others... What I got was this Here That said let's move on.... you've posted all the negative things you can think of about my topic ... why not some of the positive.
This is not your approach to system maintenance but it is for many others. A discussion might make it even more useful and widespread amongst members. Once a few others have tried it and responded with comments more will be known. You are technicians and this is not technical. I've not questioned your wisdom on technical matters, even when I've had doubts.
RTP has seen your methods and read all about your advice/opinions on this matter.
That's the beauty of it... it evolves... always something new to add. I like to think of it as sharing, not advice.

Craig if you feel I've offered unwelcome comments here please tell me and I'll not post any more.
RonDon
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2006, 03:16 AM

Gary, feel free to delete my posts in reply to this. Can't be bothered replying to this "Method" again. I think I'm loosing the will to live
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2006, 03:54 AM

I think as long as RonDon does not suggest this is a sensible way to secure your computer against infection then the posts can stand.

As a backup against possible system failures his techniques are sound enough.

However I don't want anybody to think that there is any alternative to securing their computer properly to prevent infections (for all the reasons we spelled out so painstakingly before).

As regular members will recall the last time this topic was discussed the thread broke down into pointless argument and name calling, and I will be more than willing to close this thread (Craig's permission accepted of course) if it starts to degenerate into such.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2006, 08:18 AM

Quote:
As a backup against possible system failures his techniques are sound enough.
Yep, I couldn't agree more. It's just not a good plan to stay safe online or a replacement for defragmenting a drive. The main reasons I am against this method being used are:
1/ Anti-virus and firewall are only as good as the definitions within their respective databases. So a disc image (with anti-virus etc on) from say last week, would be of no use as it would be out of date. Thus leaving the system open to abuse/infection. That is unless you created a new Image every time you updated your definitions. So you would need to run software updates on everything updated after your image. In the case of a windows system, this would be at least once a month.
2/ Moving important files and user data over to a second drive/partition will only transfer any suspected infection to the second drive/partition. Then once a clean C: image has been restored and one of these transferred is files opened, it will re-infect your C: (windows) drive again.

For restoring functionality back to a failed/infected/corrupt system, I can't fault it

No software recovery program could ever replace a simple 2 way firewall and a basic Anti-virus.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2006, 09:45 AM

rondon,

the only unwelcome comments from you are not about the subject matter you posted. it is only the tactic of baiting and name calling that i object to. you say you've moved on, but clearly you were baiting chris with the invalidative 'rat' and 'sidetwit' and that is not 'moving on'. you purposely sought out his posts and attacked, based on the old threads and what went on there. that is not welcome here.

that you and chris, or others, may have different ways of handling your security and systems is fine. that you have a new way of doing things now on your system is also fine. i'm all for security. but attacking chris personally, regardless of what went on in the past, is not ok.

there are tons of sites out there where one can go and flame each other to the nth degree, ad nauseum, till death do you part.... and very little ever gets accomplished or communicated. so, there is another 'security' here that is far more important than computer security and that's the security of the individual. attacks on a person do not foster that personal security, that sense of being safe.

so, keep it civil and i dont care if you argue the relative importance of 1's versus 0's, dogs versus cats or hell versus heaven till Earth has frozen over. i prefer not to close threads. i'd rather let them die on their own just in case someone does have something to add later on. but i'm also not a stranger to deleting posts, closing threads and/or asking folks to leave and/or booting them out the door.

so, it's really up to you. how will you treat folks and how will they treat you.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software