RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Suggest Image Database Software

Old 11-22-2006, 10:52 PM

Suggest Image Database Software

Can anyone suggest a software that can catalogue images, input captions, description, etc? Most important, capable of exporting the database in another format.

It won't hurt if it's also free. Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2006, 11:41 PM

Re: Suggest Image Database Software

Still free “Adobe Photoshop Lightroom”
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2006, 09:52 PM

I'll try and test it. Thanks chillin.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2006, 07:59 AM

Re: IMATCH

I am using a very capable and flexible tool called IMATCH from IPHOTO. http://www.photools.com/support.php It is one of the very best shareware products that I have ever found (i.e. Very Professional). There are constant revisions which solve real problems and add worthwhile enhancements. Its has very good Text editing and searching tools and can even be programmed using its own script language if you need to. There is a very active volunteer support community.

It can import and export to many of the common tools and utilities, generate web pages, and generate slide shows.

It may be too complex for some, but not if you have some amount of database experience. Highly Recommended.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2006, 12:47 PM

One of the best: iView Media Pro from http://www.iview-multimedia.com/
It is also expensive: US$199
The company was purchased this summer by Microsoft. The plan is to call it from now on: Microsoft Expression Media.

A few notches below it, there is ACDsee Photo Manager.
Much less capable, but it only costs US$39.

I'm curious about the "database export" question: what formats would you want to be able to export to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleah
Can anyone suggest a software that can catalogue images, input captions, description, etc? Most important, capable of exporting the database in another format.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2006, 01:26 PM

hi,
Some of the items you mentioned unclear to me to what extent referring however...
a program I use GWSPRO (Grahicworkshop pro--shareware) alchemymindworks.com .. does most of those things..

1. it will do batch processing conversion of grapics file into 60 or 70 graphic formats , it will even open/convert psd files...
2. it has a caption function.. it add the caption to the bottom of the picture not on it!!!
3. depending on the graphic format, you can embed a comment section....
4. it will create a graphic catalog , that can be printed, of the thumbnails previews of the graphic files that in a folder...

also it graphic file managment i really like, being able to move my graphic files around..

this link will give you a overview and screen shots of the program...
http://www.mindworkshop.com/alchemy/gwspro.html

if yo want to try gwspro... the trial download,,, is full operational, no time limites or crippling of the program.... leave it to your conciounse.. smile...

you may want to take a look at xnview (xnview.com) ... it free.. it does alot of the things that gwspro does... (pro is my favorite by far) but you need to add the free plugin for batch processing...
Quote:

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2006, 01:02 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Really appreciate it.

Well, I tested the Adobe Lightroom and it only exports the images, not the catalogue, which is what I really need. Great software though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lopes
I'm curious about the "database export" question: what formats would you want to be able to export to?
Frank,
I need to be able to convert it to a dbf format. If not at least a text format would suffice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2006, 08:29 AM

I like IMatch. It is fairly cheap, easy to use, and doesn't take up a lot of room on my hard drive.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2006, 08:34 AM

Download the iView Media Pro 21 day trial...
It will do what you want and more... much more.

Quote:
Frank,
I need to be able to convert it to a dbf format. If not at least a text format would suffice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2006, 11:18 AM

Hi,
If you don't need the graphics thumbnails and all you need is a "directory listing" of your graphic files, that can be done....

not sure if this is of interest to you however....

there different ways to get a file listing....

the original method requires some basic knowledge of msdos commands...
basically
1. navigate to the folder where your files are located.
2. then use a command like dir/o/n>(filename).txt now that will give you listing of all the file in alphabetic order that you can then open in any text editor or word processor program .. and even maybe your favorite database program ... possibly going in and converting it to a comma delineated file would allow to import into a datebase programs...

the above way... is the basic however.. there are other programs that can do this.. easier.. smile....
this link http://www.econsultant.com/i-want-fr...ies/index.html , in the file and folder utility section has a few programs that will print lists of files in a folder....

there are some free file manager programs that will print lists (catalog ) of files among other abilities.. check out tucows.com or zdnet.com ... i don't have no recommendations at the moment... for these...

the very least the above suggestions are a short gap measure untill you find a program that meets all your needs...

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. Really appreciate it.

Well, I tested the Adobe Lightroom and it only exports the images, not the catalogue, which is what I really need. Great software though.

Frank,
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software