RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

GML Matting - new free image background removal plugin

Old 11-25-2006, 07:06 PM

Re: Not visible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail
Please check the presence of the following dll's in your system directory, e.g. C:\WINDOWS\System32:
  • mfc71.dll
  • msvcr71.dll
  • msvcp71.dll
Thank you for the reply, I report the following:

Error in PS4, Error in PS6, Error in PS7, see image attached.

I did a search for:
mfc71.dll msvcp71.dll msvcr71.dll
and found them in different folders and with different dates, but not all together in the \windows\system folder. There were none in the \windows\system32 folder, nor did they apparently belong there on a WinME system.

Now "GMLMATTING.8bf" was visible in the "Filters Menu Item" under "GML" and it worked in PS4, PS6 and PS7 with the same symptom: It went through the "grow"-cutting proceedure until the end, and after pressing the OK-button, all versions of PS came on with the same error dialog, see image attached.

The good thing this time was that it was not a fatal error for all PS versions, but by clicking on the "Close"-button, PS stayed open, and the close-cut versions were exclusively [on the double-layered, or on the single-layered] image, but never on the Alpha Mask.

P.S.:
I made sure the files

mfc71.dll
msvcp71.dll
msvcr71.dll

are now all in the \windows\system folder. I had a copy of them also in the \windows\system32 folder, but there was no difference in performance, so I deleted them from there again.
Attached Images
File Type: png PS4-6-7error.PNG (3.1 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2006, 06:08 AM

Re: GML Matting - new free image background removal plugin

We have updated the installer (the plugin itself is unchanged). Download it if you experienced troubles installing the plugin. It now includes missing MFC DLLs. Some minor installer bugs are also fixed.
http://research.graphicon.ru/compute...l-matting.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2006, 08:43 AM

Wow...
I tried it on an image that I knew had taken me a while to clean up and bam! The hair extracted clean...I placed it against a black then yellow background no fringe junk what so ever! What it seems to do better then both extract and knockout is it does not leave white halos..I'm jazzed!
I was ready to not be impressed..Wong! you have a very good product here.
Thank you for sharing,

Lasa

Last edited by Lasa; 12-01-2006 at 09:34 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2006, 09:55 AM

I installed the plug-in to PSP XI and had no problems with the install.

I used the image Panpan posted as my first test image, it performed flawlessly. I've performed 10 extractions on different photos and haven't experienced crashes or any other weird problems.

I've tried a few other extract plug-ins claiming to be compatible with PSP and found they either didn't work as claimed or they continually crashed in PSP.

You people have done a wonderful job with this plug-in.

Last edited by geru; 12-01-2006 at 10:37 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2006, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geru
I installed the plug-in to PSP XI and had no problems with the install.
Likewise! In fact I have never installed a plug so painlessly before. It even wrote directly to my Photoshop/Plugins directory. Usually I have to do that manually.

I have only tried it on two images so far, but I have to say I am impressed with what I have seen so far. The interface is simple and extremely easy to use.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panpan
I would have prefered a layer with a mask instead of a transparency. It would have made it easier to refine the extraction afterwards. Also the mask shown in GML Matting had nice shading for those semi-transparent areas.

There is workaround to do this. It's undocumented yet. Here it is:
1. It works only with background layer, so create new image if you already have additional layers.
2. Go to channels palette and create a new channel. It is named "Alpha 1" by default.
3. Shift+click RGB channel, so all four channels are selected (Red, Blue, Green and Alpha 1). RGB is also selected, but it's only an alias for three color channels.
4. Start the plugin. It will accept selected Alpha 1 channel instead of layer opacity channel and save result there when you press OK. RGB channels will have modified color (background spill suppressed).
5. Now you can select either RGB or Alpha 1 channel and work with it.
I like the fact that, with a bit of extra effort, you can create a mask from the extraction. Perhaps if this could be done in a more direct manner it would be the 'cherry on top of the cake'. My single biggest problem with the Extract tool is that this is not possible. Everyone wants to be able to refine a mask. It just offers so much more control. I honestly think that if this could be achieved you would have a winning product.

Sincerely Syd
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2006, 04:59 PM

I'm very happy with this..
It crashed Photoshop twice, then I closed it down to quickly after an extraction..it closed and took Photoshop with it. Tried to duplicate it again and it worked without crashing no matter how fast I closed it.

The highlighter pointer bounces around when drawing around the subject..feels rough not smooth at all..but felt smooth when I did the alpha work around to create a mask.
Pointer is smooth on the PS extract tool.

Great extractor!

Lasa
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2006, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byRo
A couple of suggestions:
1) I noticed that the normal PS hotkeys work for Pan (<Space> + Click) and Zoom In/Out (<Ctrl><+/->). However my preferred PS zoom option (<Space><Ctrl>[<Alt>] + Click) has not been implemented - would that be possible?

We currently do not want to overload the interface with configurable hotkeys etc. Does it cause much inconvenience for those who get used to non-standard hotkeys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by byRo
2) The plug-in can take some time to return with the masked result. A progress bar (or similar) would be a nice "user-friendly" touch.
By "return with the masked result" do you mean the final step when you are done and press the OK button or when you press Matte button? If former, it seems to take almost no time even for large images, is it slow on your machine? If latter, there's a progress bar appearing in the status bar when you press Matte.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2006, 11:08 AM

Mikhail....Will take a look at this thread please and see what you think....
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...-troubles.html
Regards............John
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2006, 11:09 PM

Hope you can iron out some of the bugs in it, as its prone to crashing PS on a regular basis. Apart from that it does an excellent job on extracting some difficult images.

Here is my result which took a few minutes using GML.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mercury.jpg (18.6 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg sample.jpg (37.6 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by tarkine; 12-30-2006 at 11:50 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2007, 05:40 PM

Arrow Re: GML Matting - new free image background removal plugin

We've recently updated our plug-in to version 0.2 and I started a new topic on this. Probably not many folks noticed it, so I post the link here:
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sof...-released.html
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software