RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

GML Matting - new free image background removal plugin

Old 11-24-2006, 02:24 PM

GML Matting - new free image background removal plugin

Hello,

We are Graphics & Media Lab.

We've developed a free image matting plugin for Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro and other Photoshop-compatible applications. Its main purpose is to create a cut-out i.e. remove background from photo image. It is similar to Photoshop Extract utility, but usually produces better result.

Please, take a look:
http://research.graphicon.ru/compute...l-matting.html

We are planning further development of this plugin and we want to know your opinion. Please download it and test it. We would like to hear feedback from you.

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2006, 03:45 PM

Re: GML Matting - new free image background removal plugin

Thank you Mikhail (also Vadim and Vladimir) ,

I have been using GML GrowCut 1.1 since last year as a first step for my extractions. It has saved me a lot of time and effort. I take it this is a new algorithm. I can't wait to try it out.

Pierre
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2006, 04:36 PM

is there a mac version?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2006, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie
is there a mac version?
Unfortunately, no
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2006, 06:06 PM

Not visible?

The new "GMLMatting.8bf" was correctly installed in the Plug-Ins folder in PS4, PS6, PS7 and CS, but it did not show up in the Filters Menu of either versions.
It also did not show up after restarting PS.

Because the "gmlmatting_setup.exe" is 1.253 MB large and therefore a challenge for download on 24600 Bits per Second dial-up, would it not be better to post a newer repaired version of "GMLMatting.8bf" (220 Kilo Bytes) for separate download?

I hope that I am not wrongly assuming that this version is faulty, and that it is my ignorance preventing me from opening it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2006, 07:28 PM

I have tried it with this difficult extraction (I don't know this woman; I just use her hair to test extraction modules). I am impressed!

The single edge outline method is much simpler and faster than the old method of one inside line and one outside line.

I did have to copy the extracted layer twice, for a total of three, to build up enough hair at the edges, but the result is very good. Curiously, the source image plus the extraction(s) seems to give "bigger" hair than the original alone .

That said, it did crash Photoshop CS2 twice with the message "Could not complete your request because of a program error." I had to use the task manager to stop PS. Another time, getting out of GML Matting got me directly to the desktop, losing my work in progress.

I did not have berwin's installation problems. The three GML plug-ins (Matting and the two GrowCuts) showed up under filters. The old GrowCuts still show up under selection.

I would have prefered a layer with a mask instead of a transparency. It would have made it easier to refine the extraction afterwards. Also the mask shown in GML Matting had nice shading for those semi-transparent areas.

Pierre

P.S.: The original is on the left. The middle image should show a blue fill area inside the green outline. I took the printscreen "snapshot" too soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cara23-original.jpg (99.7 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg Cara23-gml-matte.jpg (97.6 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg Cara23-extracted.jpg (98.9 KB, 237 views)

Last edited by Panpan; 11-24-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2006, 06:27 AM

Thank everyone for your feedback!

We currently do not know why there are installation problems, but we'll try to figure out.

About crashes - they occur sometimes but we cannot determine under which conditions this happens. Has anyone found an image and a sequence of user actions for which it ALWAYS crashes?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2006, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panpan
I did have to copy the extracted layer twice, for a total of three, to build up enough hair at the edges, but the result is very good. Curiously, the source image plus the extraction(s) seems to give "bigger" hair than the original alone .
This happens because the output has opacity values between opaque and trasnparent. Overlaying several copies of a semi-transparent layer always results in increasing its "density".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panpan
I would have prefered a layer with a mask instead of a transparency. It would have made it easier to refine the extraction afterwards. Also the mask shown in GML Matting had nice shading for those semi-transparent areas.
There is workaround to do this. It's undocumented yet. Here it is:
1. It works only with background layer, so create new image if you already have additional layers.
2. Go to channels palette and create a new channel. It is named "Alpha 1" by default.
3. Shift+click RGB channel, so all four channels are selected (Red, Blue, Green and Alpha 1). RGB is also selected, but it's only an alias for three color channels.
4. Start the plugin. It will accept selected Alpha 1 channel instead of layer opacity channel and save result there when you press OK. RGB channels will have modified color (background spill suppressed).
5. Now you can select either RGB or Alpha 1 channel and work with it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2006, 08:07 AM

Mikhail, welcome to RetouchPRO.

That's a very useful plug-in, installed and worked perfectly.
A couple of suggestions:
1) I noticed that the normal PS hotkeys work for Pan (<Space> + Click) and Zoom In/Out (<Ctrl><+/->). However my preferred PS zoom option (<Space><Ctrl>[<Alt>] + Click) has not been implemented - would that be possible?

2) The plug-in can take some time to return with the masked result. A progress bar (or similar) would be a nice "user-friendly" touch.
I'll be using it some more. If I see anything else interesting I'll let you know.
Thanks for the useful (and free ) plug-in!

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2006, 12:46 PM

Re: Not visible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berwin
The new "GMLMatting.8bf" was correctly installed in the Plug-Ins folder in PS4, PS6, PS7 and CS, but it did not show up in the Filters Menu of either versions.
It also did not show up after restarting PS.
We figured out that this happens if some dll's are missing. We assumed them to come with Windows, but we were probably wrong.

Please check the presence of the following dll's in your system directory, e.g. C:\WINDOWS\System32:
  • mfc71.dll
  • msvcr71.dll
  • msvcp71.dll
If some of them are missing, try downloading them from www.dll-files.com or www.dll-download.net. Searching for dll file name in Google usually usually gives you some download page too.

After downloading needed files place them to your system directory. Then start Photoshop and the plugin should appear in Filter menu.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software