RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

catalogue

Old 11-27-2006, 10:10 PM

catalogue

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive, (or freeware) software that can be used to catalogue photo collections? I am going to be scanning a large number of images; 35 mm slides to 8x10 color and B&W images and need some way to show thumbnail images. I know in PhotoShop there is the contact sheet (which would be ideal) if all the customers had PhotoShop. Ideally, it would be a program that is compatible with both PC and Mac environments, and would allow either 1) a hardcopy print (a minimum requirement) or 2) a digital print of all the images. Any ideas out there?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2006, 06:46 AM

Re: catalogue

This was also suggested from a thread I made a few days ago.
Adobe Lightroom

Didn't thoroughly test this yet but it might be what you need. It's a beta version and it's free.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2006, 09:09 AM

hi,
You might want to take a look at gwspro (sharware) alchemymindworks.com (it's for windows)

among the many features it has, it will give you thumbnails views of what in folder, and it can create a digital catalog (which can then be printed, Of the thumbnails that in a folder. it does have in it a slide show type feature ie: you can sequence thru designated pictures yo want to see

you might also want to take a look at xnview (freeware) from xnview.com almost a clone of gwspro... and it free.. it's avail for both wintell (pc) and mac osX and other operating systems... however it unclear if it can create printed catalog of the thumbnails. you'd have to download and find out your self if it fits your requirements..

or take a look at irfanview.com ... similar program (freeware) but it only for windows systems ... unclear if it can print catalog of thumbnails... there a forum there to ask!

all of are good at graphic file managment although i like the gwspro

Quote:
Originally Posted by christo
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive, (or freeware) software that can be used to catalogue photo collections? I am going to be scanning a large number of images; 35 mm slides to 8x10 color and B&W images and need some way to show thumbnail images. I know in PhotoShop there is the contact sheet (which would be ideal) if all the customers had PhotoShop. Ideally, it would be a program that is compatible with both PC and Mac environments, and would allow either 1) a hardcopy print (a minimum requirement) or 2) a digital print of all the images. Any ideas out there?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2006, 04:21 AM

I can endorse XnView. I've been using it on PC for several years for my own pix. It's regularly updated, stable, and has a number of useful tools built in, plus the ability to use Photoshop Plug-ins. It has a "create contact sheet" function, which you could use to either print hardcopy or create PDFs using one of the free utilities (I'm currently trying something called PDF4U which seems OK, but there are others out there).

The downside is the "help" facility, which is pretty weak. However, the program is very easy to use and there has to be a trade-off for it being freeware!

Hope that helps

Hugh
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2006, 07:59 AM

Why not use Photoshop to make a web gallery? You can either post to a web site or burn the HTML to CD? They can view in their browser, and print to their own printer. (Watermark the full size if you need copyright protection).

In conjunction with this, you can use the Bridge in CS to organize, create the web gallerey etc.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software