Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

newbie advice on packages

Old 01-26-2007, 01:29 AM
newbie advice on packages

I have a fuji finepix E500 which is not too bad a camera for a compact ,i had PSP 7 and then PSP8--which i still use --i have had PS elements (coverdisc) and quite liked that though there was a loss in quality if retouched too much --i have "aquired " photoshop 7 and am trying to see the advantages over my genuine PSP 8.
I understand that Photoshop is the industry standard but the results i get from PSP8 are exellent --is it just a name thing and the price tag that makes it so good?
Plus i was gutted when Corel bought out Jasc (a previous moody sales telephone converstion put me off them )--is it worth upgrading to whatever version is now current?--or do i pay the bucks for a validated photoshop
Please advise --thanking all of you in advance --
Rich XX
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2007, 08:19 AM
Re: newbie advice on packages

What makes Photoshop so special is not the name or price. It is the ability to work with CMYK, spot colors, and other professional print-related things. If you don't know what "spot color" is, you most likely don't need it :-)

If all you need is photos, then PSP is likely to be sufficient. I personally have Photoshop 7, and I'm more comfortable with it than with PSP, but this is the result of years spent working with Photoshop. Still, I often find myself switching to PSP for this or that particular task.

What as to versions of PSP, I like 8 and 9 (having a couple of photo related filters added). What as to Corel ones, I, like many others, am somewhat disappointed. On the other hand, they are adding 16 bits per channel support, which is good (Photoshop 7 also have some limited support for it).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2007, 08:30 AM
Re: newbie advice on packages

In this day and age.... tool of your choice and one that suits both your input and output needs.

Do you shoot in Camera Raw? Does your digital editing program support it?

Do you have need to do prepress/web design/ work? If so, the integration of the Adobe CS package has great advantages in controlling color and quality throughout the project.

As for pushing pixels around, PSP and PS are about equal. There are a few advantages and disadvantages to both. PS is probably the default editor for high end work.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software